Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Star Ocean: The Divine Force Tool

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Star Ocean: The Divine Force Tool

Post by akderebur »

Tool for viewing/extracting models from the PC/PS4 version of the game. The main focus is on character and monster models. Supports meshes, textures, skeleton, and skinning.

Tool overview

How to use

Extract

Files are packed in CPK archives. I use this for extracting YACpkTool, but there are many programs available that can get the job done. After that, you can find the ASF models in appropriate folders.

Note : The tool is able to load the original ASF files directly. There is no need for manual decryption/decompression and it is not recommended.

Load
  • ASF : Loads a single model file (.asf).
  • Force Bind Pose: This is enabled by default. The skeleton is not stored in bind pose for most models. However, the tool will try to set it to bind pose when this option is enabled. This should be desirable in most situations.
Export
  • NUX: Exports the model in custom binary format (.nux), intended to be loaded by Noesis. Noesis script for this format : NUX Script
  • Textures: Textures will be exported as PNG.
  • Note : Models and textures will be exported into the folder Export.
Download : https://www.mediafire.com/file/crz9f611 ... 1.zip/file

Example exported model

Last edited by akderebur on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
sonicocel
ultra-n00b

Re: Star Ocean: The Divine Force Tool [WIP]

Post by sonicocel »

looks superb, looking forward for ur progress
foulveins
n00b

Re: Star Ocean: The Divine Force Tool [WIP]

Post by foulveins »

if you still need pc files, here's a sample i uploaded way back in november to the xentax discord: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 101_02.asf
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Star Ocean: The Divine Force Tool

Post by akderebur »

The tool is released along with instructions on how to use it. You can check out the first post.
foulveins wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:40 am here's a sample i uploaded
Thanks for the sample. It seems to load fine without issues.
GDL
veteran

Post by GDL »

Doesn't seem to be working for all the files, this one from both PC and PS4 has the UV all jumbled (is not the only one like that) and I'm not sure if the noesis script is supposed to load the textures too but is not doing it, I'm using Noesis 4.466 btw which I think is the latest, and the nux script from this thread, some meshes show up with body parts in weird places or deformed inside the viewer, also when exporting from noesis to another format it mixes all the surfaces into a single one regardless of the format chosen (fbx, obj, etc.):

sodf.jpg
sample of the same file from both PS4 and PC here:

https://mega.nz/folder/gK4QGIba#Q88SsqMIjVQpjGbCBO7VhQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

GDL wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:40 am this one from both PC and PS4 has the UV all jumbled
Thanks for the samples. UVs are a bit tricky. I updated the tool to improve UV support. Also updated the download link in the first post. "ch_p004_01" looks fine now, but "ch_p000_07" doesn't seem to have any UV data at all inside the vertex buffer. I don't know what the deal is with that model, but UVs won't work.
GDL wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:40 am I'm not sure if the noesis script is supposed to load the textures too
Nope, that is not supported. I haven't worked on material mappings.
GDL wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:40 am some meshes show up with body parts in weird places or deformed inside the viewer,
Most likely because of bind pose not being applied properly. Hopefully, the skinning should still be correct so it can be fixed manually by rotating the bones inside a 3D software. I don't have an easy fix for this atm.
GDL wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:40 am when exporting from noesis to another format it mixes all the surfaces into a single one
That seems to be because all the meshes had the same material reference. The updated tool should fix that too.
GDL
veteran

Post by GDL »

akderebur wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:39 am but "ch_p000_07" doesn't seem to have any UV data at all inside the vertex buffer. I don't know what the deal is with that model, but UVs won't work.
Well, the uv seems to work, kind of, check this out:

uv.jpg
apparently the uv is segmented and it doesn't match the texture associated with it, in this case the "body" part, looks like the uv is misaligned, almost like is swizzled/rotated but not quite, to me it looks like it was cut into smaller segments for some reason and the tool is exporting those pieces in weird places, in this picture you can see where it should align with the texture but the uv is offset to the center, also, I noticed that the uv is stretched or resized as the pieces don't quite align manually with eachother or with the texture when I tried to reconstruct it with another program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BiteMeUniverse
ultra-n00b

Post by BiteMeUniverse »

you are a 4D Being!
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

First of all, THANK YOU for this tool!

However, it looks like some of the normals aren't getting extracted properly:

I had this issue with the SOA normals extracted with SOAImgEx, but was able to get a script written to properly decompress the KTX files with PVRTexTool. Since these extract straight to PNG, though, there is no way to fix them.

I can send you the script through DM if you think it would be helpful.
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

Mihna wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:13 pm Since these extract straight to PNG, though, there is no way to fix them.
The same procedure should apply for unpacking. I have attached a small program to do that. Just drag and drop the PNG file on the exe.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

akderebur wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 pm The same procedure should apply for unpacking. I have attached a small program to do that. Just drag and drop the PNG file on the exe.
Ahh, perfect, thank you!!

I'm having one other issue: Some of the hair textures (so far it's been only blond ones) are extracting as blue:

What it should look like:

Inverting it gets me closer, but it's still not quite right.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

It's actually doing the same thing with blue hair textures too—Marielle's comes out blonde. And again, inverting doesn't make it correct.
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

Mihna wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:24 pm It's actually doing the same thing with blue hair textures too—Marielle's comes out blonde. And again, inverting doesn't make it correct.
I don't think they are supposed to have colors anyway. Tri-ace has been using custom shaders for hair for some time. Anamnesis didn't have any hair color textures either. It is probably a similar case with SO6.
einherjar007
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by einherjar007 »

I don't know about this game as I don't have the files, but akderebur is right, the hair color was not correct as of SOA,
I think Tri-ace is coloring it with shaders etc.
If you want to get a closer color, convert to monochrome and adjust the hue or layer the colors yourself to get closer to the correct color.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

akderebur wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:59 pm I don't think they are supposed to have colors anyway. Tri-ace has been using custom shaders for hair for some time. Anamnesis didn't have any hair color textures either. It is probably a similar case with SO6.
Well, some of them do have (correct) colors—it's just some of the blonde and blue ones that are not extracting correctly. I can edit them, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with the extraction tool.