Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Epic Mickey Language Files (*.dct) [Tool Release]

Need help translating games in other languages? Have your language problems solved here.
AbsoluteZero
n00b

Epic Mickey Language Files (*.dct) [Tool Release]

Post by AbsoluteZero »

Hello!

I've been working on a lot of the formats used in the first Epic Mickey game, and I made a quick script to decompile the lines to a JSON file and compile a JSON file to the proprietary format. Unfortunately, these lines are scrambled when it comes to ordering, but it should suffice. Enjoy!

USAGE:
dct.py [path to JSON/DCT file]

DOWNLOAD:
dct.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AbsoluteZero on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heraldino
ultra-n00b

Re: Epic Mickey Language Files (*.dct) [Tool Release]

Post by heraldino »

In fact, the text doesn't matter if I put words with accents, is there a way to solve this?
I want to translate to Portuguese.

Edit 1, I was able to import with accents, the whole point now is to import into the .PAK, the bigger file doesn't matter, since I barely edit the text file I'm going to import into the PAK and it doesn't matter because it's bigger, if anyone could see this PAK issue would be great.
AbsoluteZero
n00b

Post by AbsoluteZero »

heraldino wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:09 pm In fact, the text doesn't matter if I put words with accents, is there a way to solve this?
I want to translate to Portuguese.

Edit 1, I was able to import with accents, the whole point now is to import into the .PAK, the bigger file doesn't matter, since I barely edit the text file I'm going to import into the PAK and it doesn't matter because it's bigger, if anyone could see this PAK issue would be great.
I'm working on a tool to streamline a lot of the modding aspects, give me a few weeks. I have been able to create a packfile constructor/deconstructor but I need to do research into several of the formats (such as levels) as it seems the game wants the files inside the packfile in a certain order, seemingly the same order they are referenced inside the packfile's level. So, I need to parse the level and allow "manual" packfiles, or packfiles that do not contain a level and instead a group of random files (e.g., the language files or the Lua scripts).
TKFRvision
ultra-n00b

Post by TKFRvision »

Hey AbsoulteZero,

Cars 2 is using the same file format for localization as epic Mickey. Now it doesn't work exactly because there are small changes between those formats probably. I cannot modify or redistribute your code tho since it is not Foss. So I wanted to ask you if yiu would be willing to apply a foss license to it, which one is up to you and I would be happy to help you making a decision, but you would help us a lot since us devs don't have the time anymore to research formats from the ground up.

Thanks,
Klemens
AbsoluteZero
n00b

Post by AbsoluteZero »

TKFRvision wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:01 am Hey AbsoulteZero,

Cars 2 is using the same file format for localization as epic Mickey. Now it doesn't work exactly because there are small changes between those formats probably. I cannot modify or redistribute your code tho since it is not Foss. So I wanted to ask you if yiu would be willing to apply a foss license to it, which one is up to you and I would be happy to help you making a decision, but you would help us a lot since us devs don't have the time anymore to research formats from the ground up.

Thanks,
Klemens
Updated the zip file to include the GPL 3.0 license. Good luck with the modifications!
heraldino
ultra-n00b

Post by heraldino »

@AbsoluteZero The real problem is moving this one. PAK that the bms script won't let you apply a file larger than the original, I'm hoping you do something related to this .PAK, good luck you're a monster congratulations.
AbsoluteZero
n00b

Post by AbsoluteZero »

heraldino wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 pm @AbsoluteZero The real problem is moving this one. PAK that the bms script won't let you apply a file larger than the original, I'm hoping you do something related to this .PAK, good luck you're a monster congratulations.
I put something quick together for packfile creation using some of the code from my work in progress tool.

Here you go! -- viewtopic.php?t=26442

If you are having trouble with it, post any problems on that post, and I will try my best to help you.
TKFRvision
ultra-n00b

Post by TKFRvision »

Hey AbsoluteZero,

I would like to thank you for adding the license. I also noticed something weird. You said that your ordering was scrambled, but you can just disable the sorting of keys that the JSON library does by adding `sort_keys=False` to your call to json.dump. As for the tool, we will probably rewrite the whole thing, but it is still amazing that you shared this with us. Especially the great code comments and the good readability is great. Have a good one.

Thanks,
Klemens
AbsoluteZero
n00b

Post by AbsoluteZero »

TKFRvision wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:26 pm Hey AbsoluteZero,

I would like to thank you for adding the license. I also noticed something weird. You said that your ordering was scrambled, but you can just disable the sorting of keys that the JSON library does by adding `sort_keys=False` to your call to json.dump. As for the tool, we will probably rewrite the whole thing, but it is still amazing that you shared this with us. Especially the great code comments and the good readability is great. Have a good one.

Thanks,
Klemens
No problem, but when I said the ordering was scrambled, I was referring to the ordering of the dialog lines in the DCT file. They aren't sorted by level or character or anything so you have to look around for the line you want to edit. As far as I know, the ordering of the lines in the DCT file doesn't really matter since they all have IDs, meaning they are identified by that and the ordering has no hold on anything. Good luck with the tool!
Techttv
ultra-n00b

Post by Techttv »

Did anyone try this tool with Epic Mickey 2?