Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Luigi's mansion 3 noesis script

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Luigi's mansion 3 noesis script

Post by Joschka »

You can grab the script on my github repository (link down below) but make sure to read the instructions here first as the file structure of this game is a bit tricky.

Features:
-Extract assets from .data archives using the associated .dict file
-Extract textures
-Extract rigged models with material support (diffuse and normal maps)

Extraction instructions :
That game uses .dict/.data pairs to store pretty much everything. These pairs are not completely independent between themselves, as some textures/animations needed by some assets in some .data files are present in global.data, which is the most important one.
I took that into account when writing the script, so just follow the steps below

1) Open global.dict in Noesis and let the script extract everything, it'll take some time as the archive is quite big. You'll get a "global" folder next to it, with some subfolders.
2) Close Noesis, open the script in a text editor and replace

Code: Select all

globalPath = None
by the path where the folder was extracted, for example

Code: Select all

globalPath = "D:\\LM3\\romfs\\global"
3) Save the script and reopen Noesis. Now when you'll extract the other .data archives by clicking on the associated .dict files, it'll take into account the global archive and grab textures/animations there if they're missing.

Usage instructions :
Simply open the extracted lm3m model files or lm3t texture files, located in the "Models" and "Textures" folders. Keep in mind these formats are not the real ones, they're pickle dumps I use to actually reconstruct the assets since the game has a chunk system which is tricky to deal with.

If you put the bLoadMaterials option to True (it is by default), materials will be auto applied to the model. It won't work perfectly on 100% of the models as I rely on patterns since the material sections of this game use some kind of presets and I don't want to RE them all. It'll work on most models though and the mistakes are easy to fix in a 3D soft. I only apply diffuse and normal textures for now but I could add more if people tell me what some textures are used for. Don't forget to toggle face cull and cycle through the different blend options if if some elements are invisible.

In any case all textures related to the model will be extracted, even if not used by the materials. They can be viewed using "Tools->Data Viewer->Textures" and will be exported with the models.

Animations are WIP and will be added later

Credits :
Big thanks to KillzXGaming and TheFearsomeDzeraora for their research on the file structure and the geometry chunks. That script is a direct upgrade of their hard work on the formats.

Link :
https://github.com/Joschuka/fmt_lm3
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Luigi's mansion 3 noesis script

Post by Joschka »

Version 1.1 : Basic animation support

If you previously extracted some dict/data pairs you'll need to re-extract these again (double clik on the dict file, previous files will be overwritten).

To import animations make sure that the bLoadAnimations option is set to True (it is by default). If so when opening a model you'll be asked to choose an animation pack, which will be located in the "Animation Packs" folder after extraction. Usually the animPacks have the same number or one that is close to the number of the model.

So for example King Boo, which is model_0 has the animPack_0, but model_28 could have animPack_29 or animPack_27, some trial and error will be needed. Also keep in mind that some packs have animations which will not be adapted to the model but some will, for example all basic ghosts anims seem to be located in the same pack despite being for different models so make sure to quickly go through all of them to make sure you're not missing anything.
Last edited by Joschka on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Über Winfrey
n00b

Post by Über Winfrey »

Thanks for doing this, I was manually rigging these, I had all the Luigis and Peach completely rigged, this saves me a ton of time with the other models, especially since I'm mostly after the Dance animations from the Night Club Ghosts and Luigi's dance, so I'll definitely be checking in for when that part is completed
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

I didn't have and won't have the time (at least for the next weeks/months) to make further progress so I've updated the script with what I had so far. The second post has been edited with all the necessary information.
befithalo
ultra-n00b

Post by befithalo »

An invalid syntax error is given when importing this into noesis
Enkidu115
beginner

Post by Enkidu115 »

is there any plans to update this script? some models still don't open or open with textures. also when I put my global path in the script I get a syntax error
CaninosVermelhos
ultra-n00b

Post by CaninosVermelhos »

Hey how to import the texture back. I want to edit some textures and repack it.
alerion921
ultra-n00b

Post by alerion921 »

Hello, i have been trying to get this script working quite some time now. Anyone know where exactly i can place the .py file inside the python folder? Anywhere i try it just closes with no dialog :(
Durik256
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Durik256 »

alerion921 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:56 pm Hello, i have been trying to get this script working quite some time now. Anyone know where exactly i can place the .py file inside the python folder? Anywhere i try it just closes with no dialog :(
you don't need python. download Noesis and put the script in "..\Noesis\plugins\python", then run Noesis and open the required files
alerion921
ultra-n00b

Post by alerion921 »

Durik256 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:45 pm
alerion921 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:56 pm Hello, i have been trying to get this script working quite some time now. Anyone know where exactly i can place the .py file inside the python folder? Anywhere i try it just closes with no dialog :(
you don't need python. download Noesis and put the script in "..\Noesis\plugins\python", then run Noesis and open the required files
Thank you for your reply!
I was having a hard time doing this and now i finally got it working thanks to you, i was having troubles with the information i found and was using python to try and achieve it (this was obviously wrong) installing a ton of things i did not need.

The answer is to download this file (if anyone is having this issue): https://richwhitehouse.com/index.php?co ... sv4466.zip

And placing the fmt_lm3.py inside the plugins/python folder there ! :)

Another question, the reason i am trying this is i want to extract all the prompts from the game to be able to change them. Is this process actually extracting those files and will i be able to recreate/save the global.dict back to original after doing so?

Thanks in advance for any answers ! :)