Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Crossout's .grp files

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
AaronVB
ultra-n00b

Crossout's .grp files

Post by AaronVB »

Hi everyone,

Recently i've been trying to extract textures from the game Crossout.

I found out that when you open their .grp files in a hex viewer, you can find the names of files in that archive and the header "GRP2".
For every .grp file there is also a .index file which has a header "TGP2" and sometimes also contains file names.

For Models they appaear to be using .mdl and .mdf and for Textures .tfh.

Since War Thunder and Crossout use the same engine, the "dagor engine", I searched for War Thunder texture extractors since War Thunder has been around for a lot longer and found this thread -> viewtopic.php?t=11349.
However, War Thunder apparently used to/still uses .bin files for Textures and only uses .grp for Models, while Crossout has both Textures and Models in .grp Files. War Thunder has a Modding-Toolkit, however that doesn't seem to be able to open .grp files.

I found a bunch of QuickBMS scripts that are supposed to be ably to open these Files but it seems Crossout uses a modified Format since none worked for me. I also found a shell script on GitHub that looked useful but it only prints out junk.
https://github.com/darealshinji/scripts ... aster/grp2

And now i'm here, looking for help.
TheInfinityUser
ultra-n00b

Re: Crossout's .grp files

Post by TheInfinityUser »

With help, I was able to unpack the grp file. But I dunno about the tgp file tho.

The grp file further contains even more files.
It contains five more files - MDL, MDF, MDP, TFH and TFD.
Here's the unpacked grp file along with the script https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CmMSbx ... p=drivesdk
knifers
ultra-n00b

Post by knifers »

Good job, how you figure it out?
TheInfinityUser
ultra-n00b

Post by TheInfinityUser »

Someone on discord did, I didn't.
He says that he looked at the bytes, did some analysis and created a script for it.
I don't think there is currently any way to decode any of those files.
But I viewed the files in hex viewer and the MDL appears to be for the model, the MDP appears to be for physics and the mdf appears to be for materials. And as you said earlier tfh and tfd are for the textures.
Zhung Me
ultra-n00b

Post by Zhung Me »

SHEESH, link is no more...
somebody can pm me a new one?
Persival
ultra-n00b

Post by Persival »

- Has anyone that script to reupload? Hope it not missed forever.
FriedrichAlterFritz
ultra-n00b

Post by FriedrichAlterFritz »

Here is my version of the .grp unpacker.
Usage: unpacker.py -i "folder with archives" -o "output folder"

However, I still couldn't fix some issues:
1. The script can unpack only first 131072 bytes of original file
2. .pk2 files cannot be extracted

I also researched the .mdl file and found that this is also an archive, but I could not figure out how files are stored in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Butterized
ultra-n00b

Post by Butterized »

does anyone know how to use the script? i cant seem to figure it out.
Karpati
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Karpati »

TheInfinityUser wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm Someone on discord did, I didn't.
He says that he looked at the bytes, did some analysis and created a script for it.
I don't think there is currently any way to decode any of those files.
But I viewed the files in hex viewer and the MDL appears to be for the model, the MDP appears to be for physics and the mdf appears to be for materials. And as you said earlier tfh and tfd are for the textures.
I released the Targem Engine (Crossout) *.mdl/mdf loader module.

How to get the 3D Object Converter:
Download the 3D Object Converter from http://3doc.i3dconverter.com and install it or download and use the portable version (if you don’t have it yet).

After it just use the Help/Check for updates... function to get the latest program version.
Durik256
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Durik256 »

i made plugin for Noesis [*.mdl]
Без имени-1.png
fmt_Crossout_mdl.py

Butterized wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:55 am does anyone know how to use the script? i cant seem to figure it out.
send .grp file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maksum022
ultra-n00b

Post by maksum022 »

for some reason things not work for me, models just not open or show corrupted geometry
FriedrichAlterFritz
ultra-n00b

Post by FriedrichAlterFritz »

It seems that I understand - the .index file contains three blocks, two of which are compressed using ZSTD - these are file names and a table with the sizes and offsets of these files. The third block is the sizes of ZSTD frames, the game resource data itself is compressed in frames of 128 kb of the original data.