Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Mario Strikers Battle League Demo

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Mario Strikers Battle League Demo

Post by Joschka »

This Noesis plugin currently supports meshes with normals, uvs, skinning info. Animations are partially supported and auto texturing (normal + diffuse) is available for the main characters and their gears. A small UI util is available to load the latter more easily, details will be given below.
It also supports loading individual textures and UI elements.

Do not expect anything more than fixes for major bugs i.e. I'm not planning to reverse the missing animation semantics (I just grabbed the ones from my previous work on Luigi's Mansion 3) or anything similar.

Read the instructions carefully to get the most of this plugin.

Archive Extraction

-You can extract the dict/data pairs using quickbms and the attached script originally made by DKDave , that I modified slightly. It will create a folder along with a "dict_d" file. The file to be given as input is the one with the .dict extension. The rest happens in Noesis.
strik_bms.zip
-In Noesis, right-click on the "dict_d" file and click on "extract dict_d". Wait for the extraction to complete, you'll see an "Asset extracted" prompt when it's done. You will have several new folders, the ones with assets you'll be able to open are "Models", "Textures" (which has the textures and the sprites) and "Skeletons".

Gear System

-The characters in this game are split in several parts, the models located in the character folders only have the heads. To make it easier to view the assets, you'll have to use the gear UI.

VIDEO EXAMPLE

-To do that first extract the gear dict/data pair located in your dump's GearSets folder (just apply the "archive extraction" steps). Then open the noesis script in a text editor and put the "Models" folder's adress next to the "gearModelFolder" option, at the top. You only have to do this once (unless you move your extraction folder later obviously).
-That's it, now when you find your character's face model, just right click and click "gear equip" like in the video. The gears adapted to this character will be proposed, then just do like in the video to equip your character and animate him if you want to. A "load texture" option has been added since it was recorded, make sure to only do that when you're done choosing your complete set or it'll be slower to load due to all the loading/assigning/untiling overhead introduced.

Last notes :
-While I only apply the diffuse/normal maps on the character, all the character related textures will be loaded. You can preview these under "Tools->Data viewer"->textures and they'll be exported too.
-Textures/Sprites can be seen directly by opening whatever file located in the "Textures" folders.
-NLG seems to use a black placeholder for the outfits' parts that are supposed to have the team's color.
-Contrary to LM3, the concept of "animation packs" doesn't exist here. Fortunately anims related to a character seem to always be located in his dict/data pair so it's not a problem.
-Some skeletons won't match some of the little secondary models and some will rarely be misplaced. Some anims will also look wrong. All this would need more research but I don't have the time for that, consider this plugin as final, unless other people contribute.

That's it.

https://github.com/Joschuka/fmt_strik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Joschka on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarioBrosNet
ultra-n00b

Re: Mario Strikers Battle League Demo

Post by MarioBrosNet »

When I attempt to extract the dict_d files, It gives me a Python error.
"RuntimeError: Tried to set offset beyond buffer size. (6000 > 64)"
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

MarioBrosNet wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:49 am When I attempt to extract the dict_d files, It gives me a Python error.
"RuntimeError: Tried to set offset beyond buffer size. (6000 > 64)"
Which dict/data pair gives you this error ?
MarioBrosNet
ultra-n00b

Post by MarioBrosNet »

Every pair I've tried so far gives me this error. I've tried Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi's. I've also tried the GearSets as well. I checked the 'all known formats' to see if Noesis could read strikers' models once the python script was put in, but they don't appear to be on the list for some reason.
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

Alright please post all the steps you did, you must be doing something wrong at some point.
MarioBrosNet
ultra-n00b

Post by MarioBrosNet »

I used quickbms and the bms script to extract the dict/data from the dump, and I left the dict_d files in a folder on my desktop. Then I placed the python script into the python folder where it's supposed to go. After that, I copied the folder path of the GearSet's models folder location, and I pasted the path into the python script in the quotations after "gearModelFolder". After that, I tried to hop into Noesis to extract the dict_d files, and I started to get that error.
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

MarioBrosNet wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:33 pm I used quickbms and the bms script to extract the dict/data from the dump, and I left the dict_d files in a folder on my desktop. Then I placed the python script into the python folder where it's supposed to go. After that, I copied the folder path of the GearSet's models folder location, and I pasted the path into the python script in the quotations after "gearModelFolder". After that, I tried to hop into Noesis to extract the dict_d files, and I started to get that error.
Yeah the error is probably because you moved the dict_d file, I forgot to mention but you're supposed to let it untouched, next to the original dict/data.
MarioBrosNet
ultra-n00b

Post by MarioBrosNet »

Ooh, I gotcha. Let me give it another try
MarioBrosNet
ultra-n00b

Post by MarioBrosNet »

It still seems to give me that error. I did change the models folder path within the python script after exporting dict_d to the dump, but the extraction process within Noesis won't execute properly. "Runtime Error: Tried to set offset beyond buffer size. (3284 > 64)"
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

Can you screenshot me the whole error message so I can see at which line this happens ? Also make sure that Noesis is up to date (tools -> check for updates).

EDIT : Moved to DMs. It turns out that this error happens when trying to extract the .data file with quickbms while it's supposed to get the .dict as input. The main post has been edited accordingly to avoid confusion.
xdarkmario
ultra-n00b

Post by xdarkmario »

can we use this to mess around with other files not model related? like text and other elements?
yo711lol
ultra-n00b

Post by yo711lol »

Hi, im trying to export Daisy's model but i think the script isn't updated to the newest version. Do i need to add the charaGearMap for Daisy at the script?
xdarkmario
ultra-n00b

Post by xdarkmario »

yo711lol wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:48 am Hi, im trying to export Daisy's model but i think the script isn't updated to the newest version. Do i need to add the charaGearMap for Daisy at the script?
yea the tool needs updating as of now, i looked into the code a bit but it looks like we need to find out the byte offsets of the new characters. You also (if you haven't already) might have to extract a fresh updated copy of the Persistent file. i got some of her files to extract but the script cant output a model file...
Got to wait on the devs.
yo711lol
ultra-n00b

Post by yo711lol »

I have succeeded extracted the model of her face but the gear it's on DLC1.dict and that gave me this error
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xdarkmario
ultra-n00b

Post by xdarkmario »

yo711lol wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:37 am I have succeeded extracted the model of her face but the gear it's on DLC1.dict and that gave me this error
yep, thats what i was talking about, that offset error i believe is because the script is set a kind of way that it references the byte offset and pulls it together