Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid (series) - Tools

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
bestek
ultra-n00b

Re: Metal Gear Solid (series) - Tools

Post by bestek »

I am looking for a font map to correctly display special characters (Polish ĄĘĆŻŹŁÓ)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingsushi001
ultra-n00b

Post by kingsushi001 »

Hi everyone

Can someone point me into the right direction on how to extract the textures from the PSX version of the game?
I have tried all the tools on the 1st page without success. I was able to extract STAGE.DIR and that's it. The resulting files seems to be titled the same as the PC version, but no extension.

Any help would be appreciated
Flag King
ultra-n00b

Post by Flag King »

Wow!
This topic was incremented with some amazing tools!

I really want to work with MGS series. Maybe this is the time!
I'll follow this topic every day for updates.

Best;

Flag
CT-STARS
Resident Evil Modding Source
AEDude
ultra-n00b

Post by AEDude »

I have all the Obj files which have names similar to this 'v4-kusa-1v8Qb7coSU1k54TtmJzrt4-00000G-znver2.obj' however I am unable to import them into blender! I'll upload a few and if someone is willing to help me I'll pay for a premiim Mega.nz account to upload all of them for one month!

https://mega.nz/folder/znhmwACZ#5YmAqmJEkbnS0aVdbsGDPQ
OPR23b
advanced

Post by OPR23b »

Just so you know, there's already a tool for noesis that can import MGS1 models with skeletons and animations (Since I'm assuming you are referring to MGS1 models).

Though it only works for the PlayStation version of the game, not the PC one.
SolidMGSnake
ultra-n00b

Post by SolidMGSnake »

Does anyone know how or if its possible to extract the AC3/Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from the MGS2 opening cutscene? Thanks
glennstavos
ultra-n00b

Post by glennstavos »

Hi last month I used the tools in this thread to extract the Vox directory of MGS3 Subsistence into ~5800 wav files. They are precisely the files I am looking for, just the game's voiced dialogue and nothing else. But I noticed they were all 22050 Hz mono. I have some questions about this:

Is this the source quality of these files? At first I figured "oh yeah, this game's got like twenty hours of audio on top of all the other crap they got to cram into a PS2 disk, so maybe it is really that compressed". They definitely don't sound bad, or noticeably different when compared against youtube footage, but I know the game's audio is presented in stereo generally. Maybe something the game or PS2 does to "split" the sounds? This is my first experience digging into any game's code so forgive me if this is a bizarre question. Anyway, if these files are supposed to be in stereo, or some other, higher sample rate, then that's what I want. Am I able to get that with these tools somehow? If so please explain how because...well it's been so long that I kind of forgot how I did it. I remember trying a lot of methods mentioned here and elsewhere until I got what I wanted through one last round of troubleshooting. Really should have written it down so that I could at least say what I did to get this far in the first place.

Update: After some more digging, I discovered that some audio files are presented in Stereo, usually just because there's more than one speaker at a time in that specific case. That makes plenty of sense. The Volgin torture sequence for instance is fully three dimensional with several characters talking from different directions. So I guess that answers my biggest concern about the quality.
lazenes
n00b

Post by lazenes »

glennstavos
ultra-n00b

Post by glennstavos »

Back again, this time trying to extract the audio of MGS4. I managed to collect the ~4.5 hours of Codec conversations from the Vox directory of the game, using the Demux Dat 0.3 release. It's worth mentioning that this particular version of the command line encoder is NOT in the OP, so I can vouch for its inclusion. I tried anything else I heard mentioned here and on Google to extract these .Dat files, and this was the one that got past that first step. So here's the link where I got it, at the bottom of the page:
https://www.hcs64.com/vgm_ripping.html

Using Demux_Dat_be, The Vox directory (.Dat file) was extracted into MTA2 files, which I was then able to convert into Wav format using VGMstream's command line encoder. The same process also works for the Bgm and Movie directories, which contain the game's background Music and Live action cutscene audio respectively. The Demo directory is interesting. It contained audio for the games cutscenes, but this method only got me the first of four parts. For some reason my computer gave them the file extension 66600, 66601, 66602, and 66603 instead of Dat. The 66600 was the only one that would open up with Demux Dat. Trying to cheat the system, I renamed the file extension of the others to ".66600" or ".Dat", but that did not work. Cutscene audio isn't typically valuable (in most metal gear games, what you can extract from the game's code is no more clean than simply hitting record on a youtube video of the same scene), however MGS4's cutscenes are six channel audio that you can fool around with in order to get cleaner recordings of character lines - muting stuff like background noise or characters talking over each other. If anybody knows how I can get the latter three Demo files into Wav format, I'd be interested to hear it.

What I'm really after in MGS4 are the in-game character voices. None of the tools I've found on the internet can seem to get to that material. Stuff like Snake grunting when taking damage or throwing a punch. Boss characters. Or Otacon's voice giving you helpful hints and controls. I'm not entirely sure where it even is in the game's code - probably the Stage directories if I had to guess, but nothing seems to crack it.

I've also been working on Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, and came up with some interesting solutions. At first I managed to extract the in-game character voices, but not any of the codec conversations or cutscene audio. looking at the folders on both discs labeled Audio > Stream and Shared > Audio > Stream (Some sounds exist on both discs, so that is the purpose of a Shared folder, I suspect), there were lone files with no extension. I renamed the file extension to DSP, which VGmstream was able to convert to Wav. Cool. Other .Dat directories like Vox opened up with Demux_Dat as usual, however I was given MTAF files that I cannot seem to open with VGMstream. Not until I decided to use the same cheat - change the file extension from .MTAF to .ogg (referring to the Ogg vorbis, don't ask me what that is). Then add the foobar plugin to VGMstream's folder, which allowed it to convert to Wav.
Cameon
ultra-n00b

Post by Cameon »

Can I use those tools to translate MGS2: Substrance in PC??? I want to translate MGS2: Substrance from english to thai.
glennstavos
ultra-n00b

Post by glennstavos »

Still haven't gotten what I want out of MGS4. It sounds like this can help me open the stage dat files:
https://github.com/Jayveer/Solideye
However, I don't know how to make it work. It says if extracting the files is all you want, just drag and drop them on the 'executable' but I see no executable file anywhere in here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

glennstavos wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:13 pm Still haven't gotten what I want out of MGS4. It sounds like this can help me open the stage dat files:
However, I don't know how to make it work. It says if extracting the files is all you want, just drag and drop them on the 'executable' but I see no executable file anywhere in here.
Did you get the download from here: https://github.com/Jayveer/Solideye/releases/tag/1.2
If not, then its likely you've just gone and gotten the project files, which would need to be compiled first, so you don't want those.
glennstavos
ultra-n00b

Post by glennstavos »

lionheartuk wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:34 am
glennstavos wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:13 pm Still haven't gotten what I want out of MGS4. It sounds like this can help me open the stage dat files:
Did you get the download from here: https://github.com/Jayveer/Solideye/releases/tag/1.2
If not, then its likely you've just gone and gotten the project files, which would need to be compiled first, so you don't want those.
Ah, thank you for pointing that out to me. It does open the Stage.dat files of MGS4. Tens of thousands of files in total, but as far as I can tell it's comprised entirely of textures, models, and animation data. That's no use to me, I'm looking for sound files. In particular I want npc/boss voice lines or Otacon's in-game codecs where he gives you tips during gameplay.

One post here claims that sdpack.dat and Speech.dat have audio files, so that's my next lead:
https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2516

And this project claims that it can open them.
https://github.com/gdkchan/MGSDATool

But there's no release .exe this time. I downloaded Visual Studio and managed to make a DATspeech tool.exe, however, it gets no response when I drag speech.dat onto it. This is my first experience trying to compile something, so I couldn't begin to guess where/if I went wrong.
ikskoks

Post by ikskoks »

But there's no release .exe this time. I downloaded Visual Studio and managed to make a DATspeech tool.exe, however, it gets no response when I drag speech.dat onto it. This is my first experience trying to compile something, so I couldn't begin to guess where/if I went wrong.
It's a command line tool. There are some tutorials explaining how to run it.
Check here https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ne+program
glennstavos
ultra-n00b

Post by glennstavos »

ikskoks wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:32 am
It's a command line tool. There are some tutorials explaining how to run it.
Check here https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ne+program
If I try to run the .exe that I created in a command prompt, nothing happens. And wouldn't I need to tell it what to open anyway?