Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PS2] 007 Nightfire .crp files

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: [PS2] 007 Nightfire .crp files

Post by AxelNoir »

Any update?
hidinginthevoid
beginner

Post by hidinginthevoid »

Yes!

Still going, have written a lot of code to get this all up and running and have to do all the file research.

It's basically down to me and another dev who have free time to work on this. But even that is highly limited so we do what we can, when we can.

We have managed to get loaders and extractors running for all three platforms and currently working on deeper handling of all the files
callmeliam
ultra-n00b

Post by callmeliam »

Hi, My name is Liam, I am a speedrunner of 007 Nightfire and I have been attempting to crack this game open for many years, good to see progress on this thing. I would reccomend you guys join the nightfire speedrunning discord. I can provide a link via a dm if necessary as we have another coder/person trying to decompile this stuff too.

Thanks
Galap
ultra-n00b

Post by Galap »

I too am interested in getting these models out, and am glad to see that others are trying to do this as well.

It looks like someone was able to get models and textures out of the GCN version. They only posted a couple of them, though.

https://www.models-resource.com/gamecub ... nightfire/

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's any way to contact him there and ask him about his methods.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Galap wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:25 amUnfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's any way to contact him there and ask him about his methods.
It's nothing special, looks like it was just NinjaRipper that was used.
GeekOutGamer
ultra-n00b

Post by GeekOutGamer »

Hey,

Just joined this board as I'm looking to rip the game. Any chance you'd like some help with your project? I have lots of coding experience and some reverse engineering experience.
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

Has there been any update/progress on this?
GeekOutGamer
ultra-n00b

Post by GeekOutGamer »

I didn't really get a response if they wanted some help so I doubt it.
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

Damn that's such a shame. The old EA games always seem to get the shaft when it comes to research :(
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by shakotay2 »

Concerning results this thread purely leads to nothing. [roll]

Only interesting thing I found is this:
Highflex wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 amAnother thing i can recommend is getting the following game on steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6067 ... sed_Mummy/

It ships with the engine tools/data that was also used for Nightfire in some variant before.
Comes with a funny map editor, indeed. But it seems you can't save single meshes - complete maps only.

(Guess no one has a backup of the EDL tool? Mega-link in above mentioned post is dead.)
Tuts: a) Bigchillghost, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
b) Extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
"Quoting the whole thing. Would u ever stop this nonsense?"
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

Highflex wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 am Another thing i can recommend is getting the following game on steam:

It ships with the engine tools/data that was also used for Nightfire in some variant before.

Really hoping to see support for Meshes/anims, i did not have much time to actually decipher the formats after initial decompression, but would be great to chime in so feel free to pm regarding discord.
I'm assuming the authoring tools included in that game, do they work with the gamecube version of Nightfire by any chance? Can anyone who owns the game or the authoring tools try fiddling with it and see what results you get with Nightfire's files? Pretty interesting stuff.
hidinginthevoid
beginner

Hello!

Yes there is still progress on this, time for me is limited because of work! But I am working on this on a fairly regular basis.

There is a hell of a lot of work to do and I've been slowly chipping away at things.

Consdiering we are having to build an entire framework for the project that can support the multitude of ISOs we've had access to, each with their own complications, including but not limited to file compression, image data header changes and a number of other things.

Whilst EDL is something we hope to get working with the Nightfire files, there is no (known) direct way to translate what is in the Nightfire files back into EDL files, as the version that was used for the project has been long since lost to time. We might have to convert whatever we found within the files into a new instance and formatting.

We do have access to a version of the EuroLand Editor (this is included with the Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Authoring files that can be found via Steam) but again, this isn't the version used for Nightfire.
hidinginthevoid
beginner

AxelNoir wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:32 pm
Highflex wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 am Another thing i can recommend is getting the following game on steam:

Really hoping to see support for Meshes/anims, i did not have much time to actually decipher the formats after initial decompression, but would be great to chime in so feel free to pm regarding discord.
I'm assuming the authoring tools included in that game, do they work with the gamecube version of Nightfire by any chance? Can anyone who owns the game or the authoring tools try fiddling with it and see what results you get with Nightfire's files? Pretty interesting stuff.
Having a look at the files, I can confirm this wouldn't work.

Unlike later Eurocom games, the levels are compiled into .bin files, with a custom layout.

I've done some private write-ups for my own tracking, but it's a true challenge as every file requires a lot of care and attention for it to be understood and a custom parser to be written.

Then often we have to make three instances of the parser to support each platform!
hidinginthevoid
beginner

AxelNoir wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:45 pm Damn that's such a shame. The old EA games always seem to get the shaft when it comes to research :(
The challenge actually lays on the Eurocom side! EA's stuff is pretty open already, with little work you can get things from the action side e.g. the .asf files (audio) and a lot of the data is presented in .ini files or other files that can be read by things like notepad!

However things deeper, like skeleton files and model files take a little more poking!

We also have a researcher who will write things into BMS scripts for us, which we have to convert into C# code!

This is a project I will not let die, even if I have to take breaks from it! I'm only mortal and have a full time job!
hidinginthevoid
beginner

GeekOutGamer wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:27 am I didn't really get a response if they wanted some help so I doubt it.
Sorry! I need to turn on email notifications for this thread!