Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Sim Theme Park / Theme Park World .WCT format

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
xezno
ultra-n00b

Sim Theme Park / Theme Park World .WCT format

Post by xezno »

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a re-implementation project for Sim Theme Park, a game released by Bullfrog in 1999. The idea is that, since the game doesn't run very well on modern computers, it'd be a decent idea to re-write the game's "engine" and interface with assets that exist in a real copy of the game.

So far, I've done a decent amount of reverse-engineering on my own - but there's a couple of formats that I'm stumped on, namely the game's texture format: "WCT".

I know little about this file format. My initial ideas are as follows (based on attached blue.wct):

Code: Select all

13 01 20 03 - some sort of descriptor:
	- 13 - Unknown
	- 01 - Has alpha
	- 20 - Image bits per pixel
	- 04 - Compression flag?

40 00 - 2 bytes: Image width

40 00 - 2 bytes: Image height

14 00 - 2 bytes: Unknown

1e 00 - 2 bytes: Unknown
1e 00 - 2 bytes: Unknown

14 00 - 2 bytes: Unknown

7d 01 00 00 - 4 bytes: Length of first section
54 00 00 00 - 4 bytes: Length of second section

( First section )

00 - 1 byte: Padding

( Second section )
I think this is really as far as I can get on my own though - I've been stumped on this for a while, so I thought I'd ask around and see if anyone else has any ideas? Any help is very much appreciated.

As for examples, there's many within the archive files in the game, but I've attached few for people who don't want to go through the process of extracting them (with examples of what they should look like).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xezno
ultra-n00b

Re: Sim Theme Park / Theme Park World .WCT format

Post by xezno »

Absolute legend, thanks for this! :)
Sir Kane
veteran

Post by Sir Kane »

Got code/format info for some of the other file types as well somewhere, if you're interested.
ikskoks

Post by ikskoks »

Sir Kane wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:22 pm Got code/format info for some of the other file types as well somewhere, if you're interested.
You can add it to the wiki if you have some free time http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Category:Format_Image

Edit: I have just added this one http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Theme_Park_World_WCT
xezno
ultra-n00b

Post by xezno »

Sir Kane wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:22 pm Got code/format info for some of the other file types as well somewhere, if you're interested.
Would very much appreciate any code or info you have for any of the other file types!