Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal gear Solid 3 file extraction (getting soemwhere!!)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The REAL wrote:I mean that my codec.dat has 29839488 bytes :) NTSC version, English text only.
Ahh i see.
IL take alook in asecond at my disk CODEC.DAT, though It makes no difference really because no one wants to EDIT codec .dat as itd be a wate of time unless you have a chipped PS2(ILLEGAL).
Or if u have a PS2 emulator, but CURRENTLY NONE WILL EVEN SUPPORT MGS3.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Hey, CHECK THIS OUT!

Maybe that link holds the key to MGS3 extraction..... I mean they are accessing and viewing content of Final Fantasy X, which is another very popular and surely to be secure DVD. And yet, maybe not so secure? These people may have the info we need here!

Is it too early for me to get really excited now? lol

By the way, HERE is the direct site they are talking about.

And you will see there is a MODEL EXTRACTER there for these Final Fantasy X characters. Let's HOPE Turfster or Lionheart or any other talented hacker can look at his code and tweak it for MGS3! Unless MGS3 is a really VERY different encryption or whatever and much different to access. I really know nothing about these things. But if we've learned anything, its that even the impossible is very possible if people want it bad enough and someone has the ability to make it so. :wink:
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TheDyingInformant wrote: Maybe that link holds the key to MGS3 extraction..... I mean they are accessing and viewing content of Final Fantasy X, which is another very popular and surely to be secure DVD. And yet, maybe not so secure? These people may have the info we need here!

And you will see there is a MODEL EXTRACTER there for these Final Fantasy X characters. Let's HOPE Turfster or Lionheart or any other talented hacker can look at his code and tweak it for MGS3! Unless MGS3 is a really VERY different encryption or whatever and much different to access. I really know nothing about these things. But if we've learned anything, its that even the impossible is very possible if people want it bad enough and someone has the ability to make it so. :wink:
lol I see you have picked up my habit of Endless capitol WORDS lol.

I already used this Program and It is indeed very good.
The models in FFX and FFX2 are the same format ".fbx" the reason you need to make an ISO of those games is because the info is 100% HIDDEN, so when you look at it in anything you cant see the daya at all.
This will not work on MGS3 I dont think, BUT i DO need to make an ISO file of MGS3 and MGS3 Substance to see if there is any hidden data that might be helpful in figuring it all out.

No the Encryption in FFX adn MGS3 is very different.
I have spoken to "YAZ0R" about MGS3 but he is very busy recently and he doesnt make EXPORTERS for common programs (obj, 3DS,MAYA ect..) instead he only lets people VIEW them with his Program notthing more.

Thanks for the info anyways.
Glad to see your back again.
The REAL
n00b

Post by The REAL »

lionheartuk wrote:...BUT i DO need to make an ISO file of MGS3 and MGS3 Substance to see if there is any hidden data that might be helpful in figuring it all out.
MGS3 don't contain any hidden data. I think models are compressed with zlib like PS2 MGS2.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Hmmm...... well I hope it can be figured out.

In any case though, don't be so discouraged about that Yazor guy. I mean, I highly respect that he doesn't want the official models to get into the hands of everyone out there. It would be a concern to me as well. But remind him that this is being used for PRIVATE use. No one should use the models for an illegal purpose.

Even if he can't DIRECTLY help you, maybe he can atleast share some of his findings with you or Turfster, I mean, he even has the characters animations viewable right? It may very well be a totally different format than MGS3, but none the less, having such access to a PS2 DVD is very promising. Maybe some day for MGS3 it'll also be possible.

I'm still floored about MGS2 access really. :mrgreen:

I do feel kinda bad for game developers though. I would totally HATE feeling like people out there, anyone, people who I don't know and don't have control over, have my characters to do what they please with. That's why, while I don't want Konami limiting what fans are able to do with games we BOUGHT and are curious about, I am also quite serious about making sure their rights are being followed too.
The REAL
n00b

Post by The REAL »

http://www.gis-center.com/forum/CODEC.rar
This link for codec.dat (~5Mb in RAR) from NTSC US MGS3 SE. I think it contains only English language, but encoding of text is unknown :(
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The REAL wrote:
lionheartuk wrote:...BUT i DO need to make an ISO file of MGS3 and MGS3 Substance to see if there is any hidden data that might be helpful in figuring it all out.
MGS3 don't contain any hidden data. I think models are compressed with zlib like PS2 MGS2.
Nah it turned out to have no hidden data after all anyways.

What makes you think that the MGS2 PS2 models are ZLIB compressed by the way? The STAGE.DAT is encrypted and we havent been able to Decrypt it yet. lets alone even FIND the models + im the only person who has worked on MGS2 PS2 everyone else is doing MGS2 PC.
I doubt its such a common format anyways, otherwise we would have all cracked it by now.

As far as i know ALL the metal gear games are ENCRYPTED, even MGS1 for PSX which isnt very good encryption lol but still is encrypted none the less.

I wouldnt mind seeing some information to explain how you know or think there LZIB compressed inside the INACSESSABLE STAGE.DAT's, maybe il be able to learn something from it.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The REAL wrote:http://www.gis-center.com/forum/CODEC.rar
This link for codec.dat (~5Mb in RAR) from NTSC US MGS3 SE. I think it contains only English language, but encoding of text is unknown :(
I downlaoded it and it turns out its the same as the English CODEC.DAT.

But i STILL dont understand the point behind hacking the CODEC.DAT as it only contains text anyways, all the codec audio is in VOX.DAT.

You seem very interested in CODE.DAT im guessing its so that you can translate your text to your, own language, if oyur language uses any unicode characters then your screwed as you can simply CHANGE LANGUAGE of the text inside a hex editor no need for anything else, but Unicode characters (asian Languages) are not supported neither is french and german(because they have Hyphons and little signs that are not in the english alphabet).

Even IF you could change the informaiton correctly it wont matter as you will still need to write the data BACK ONTO a PS2 disk, which would require a MOD CHIPPED PS2 which btw IS illegal as far as i know.
No PS2 emulators support MGS3 yet, and they dont look like there gonna for a long time now so there goes your chances of playing it on your PC eh.

So can you please explain why you want acess to CODEC.DAT so much as i just CANNOT think of a reason.
The REAL
n00b

Post by The REAL »

What makes you think that the MGS2 PS2 models are ZLIB compressed by the way?
If you load elf from mgs2 in hex editor, you see that used inflate library (v1.2.1). Inflate is part of zlib, that library very portable :)
Why KONAMI add this library to projec? May be for compress/decompress saves on memory card, may be for compressed stage.dat for fast reading...

About CODE.DAT... Yes, I want translate :)
When I open MGS2 codec.dat in hex-editor, I see text! But when I open MGS3 codec.dat in hex-editor I DON'T SEE text!!! That is my problem :)

Its NORMAL that I did not see any text in MGS3 codec.dat, except some words like "radiotest" and "PROFILE"???
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

If you load elf from mgs2 in hex editor, you see that used inflate library (v1.2.1). Inflate is part of zlib, that library very portable :)
Why KONAMI add this library to projec? May be for compress/decompress saves on memory card, may be for compressed stage.dat for fast reading...
hmmm.
IL look into this now then.
But on the other hand WHY work on the PS2 version when we have the PC versions files? The PS2 version isnt reallyt anything different apart from maybe always working wheras PC depends on harware configurations.
About CODE.DAT... Yes, I want translate :)
When I open MGS2 codec.dat in hex-editor, I see text! But when I open MGS3 codec.dat in hex-editor I DON'T SEE text!!! That is my problem :)
Its NORMAL that I did not see any text in MGS3 codec.dat, except some words like "radiotest" and "PROFILE"???
Hm once again I still think it makes more sense to work on MGS2PC's CODEC.DAT, Or dont you own the PC one? If not then that makes PERFECT sense.
But either way you would need to COPY the disk and then have a MOD for your PS2 to play it.
Btw: Your english seems to be pretty good here and I assume that the game isnt Dubed in Ukraine? She CODEC text is only for the pure sake of it, I never actually used it even in the Japanese version I still only listened ot the speach.[/quote]
The REAL
n00b

Post by The REAL »

One more argument in favour of zlib. You try compress stage.dat (with any archiver)? You see a low compress ratio for archive... a think becouse stage.dat already compressed. Compare uncompressed PC stage.dat folder (mgs2) with PS2 stage.dat... We have 4000Mb vs. 600 Mb. I dont think that dds-texture at 5 times greater(large) that tim2 :)

My english seems to be pretty good here??? Probably you joke :)
Yes, MGS3 isnt Dubed in Ukraine. I think its never happen :(
So I want to get text from MGS3 codec.dat (in other files like movie.dat text has simple ASCI encoding), then translate with PC-translator, then transliterate into latin characters, and back to the game - via Network Adapter + HDD or DVD-R to console. That is my plan :) Its illegal? Not if I dont resale this DVD-R copy.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The REAL wrote:One more argument in favour of zlib. You try compress stage.dat (with any archiver)? You see a low compress ratio for archive... a think becouse stage.dat already compressed. Compare uncompressed PC stage.dat folder (mgs2) with PS2 stage.dat... We have 4000Mb vs. 600 Mb. I dont think that dds-texture at 5 times greater(large) that tim2 :)

My english seems to be pretty good here??? Probably you joke :)
Yes, MGS3 isnt Dubed in Ukraine. I think its never happen :(
So I want to get text from MGS3 codec.dat (in other files like movie.dat text has simple ASCI encoding), then translate with PC-translator, then transliterate into latin characters, and back to the game - via Network Adapter + HDD or DVD-R to console. That is my plan :) Its illegal? Not if I dont resale this DVD-R copy.
Yes of course STAGE.DAT is compressed, Its also ENCRYPTED in MGS2, MGS2S and MGS3.

I wasnt joking, so far your english is pretty good.
Yes copying a PS2 game even for yourself Counts as illegal, I dont really understand the details But it does, Also ud need a MODDED PS2 to play the DVD R anyways PS2 mods are illegal aswell lol, as they TAMPER or replace the SONY guarenteed hardware.
The 1 file that im interested in is STAGE.DAT, nothing else really, Once thats done il move onto the others as by then il understand the method used to COMPRESS and ENCRYPT the files.
Insert Coin
ultra-n00b

Post by Insert Coin »

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but did you know PSound works with this game to extract sounds.

P.s. Is their any tutorials to show what data goes with what file when extracting using a hex editor, I think I may have found the model files names for Metal Gear Solid for the PSX but cannot find the data that matches the files.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Insert Coin wrote:I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but did you know PSound works with this game to extract sounds.

P.s. Is their any tutorials to show what data goes with what file when extracting using a hex editor, I think I may have found the model files names for Metal Gear Solid for the PSX but cannot find the data that matches the files.
Erm yes i did know that.
Ive used it myself..
BUt on MGS3 it makes so many sounds sound kinda strange and stuff also it doesnt exactly do a great job on this game..
But tbh.. i own the OST.. i dont want the sounds from the MGS games i own the osts to them all.. I wanted the models and textures instead.

Also use MR MOUSE Ultimate Guide to Hex editing.
everythings in there, thats where most of us learnt our stuff, though i personally havent Hexed in at least 6 months, But unless its a format WE KNOW then its still hard, there are so many variations of headers and stuff that some simple formats like a TGA can be edited so u dont even know it, but still be read the same way.
sidneymadmax
beginner

Re: Metal gear Solid 3 file extraction (getting soemwhere!!)

Post by sidneymadmax »

has as yet if it is possible to upload the template please excuse the Snake up

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/ ... rkflow.jpg