Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ripping Samus Dread (.pkg file)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
ShadowOfMagnus
ultra-n00b

Re: Ripping Samus Dread (.pkg file)

Post by ShadowOfMagnus »

Were the files for the ship found yet?
09williamsad
veteran

Post by 09williamsad »

samboychips wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 am I'm trying to extract the NCA for this but it's asking me for the titlekey. Does anyone happen to know where I can find this or can someone possibly send it/post it here?
Drag and drop the games .tik file from the NSP/XCI onto GetTitlekey.exe to get the key.
The tik is with the NCA.
If there is no tik then the archive you have may not need a key.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My archive of models, audio, textures etc: <Link removed due to site policy> Google my username to find it.
09williamsad
veteran

Post by 09williamsad »

Joschka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:46 am Cool thanks, some of them may have been fixed by M-1's last additions. I'd suggest giving another try with the latest version, I'll check the remaining non working files.
5700 textures, from looking around 2106 did not convert, most of them are all white with some being another colour, list attached.

Models reconverted with the new script, 8333 total with 40 that did not convert, list attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My archive of models, audio, textures etc: <Link removed due to site policy> Google my username to find it.
Esbeckett
ultra-n00b

Post by Esbeckett »

Is there any information on finding the monster models? Are they in the map files or should they have been in the characters subfolder?

I'm wondering if I used the wrong method to extract assets from the cart, honestly. I only found Samus and so far everything's worked great, including removing the alpha with a combination of imagemagick and rawtex. I used

Code: Select all

for %%f in (*.png, *.tga) do (
    echo %%~nf
    magick convert %%f -alpha off %%f_noalpha.png
)
and dragged and dropped the entirety of the DDS files on the batch, but I also made a second pack and used something to separate the RGB channels, since anything labelled _bc just needed the alpha gone, but some of the others are layered maps that really needed to be split into RGB, the AT ones.

Edit: I should declare I converted them to PNG with noesis first.
Anything with _bc you remove the alpha channel for, and the _at ones contain the maps like metallic maps which means separating the R, G, and B into separate things. Which isn't necessary for every use, just some. It should also fix the transparency issue some people would have. The _nm is just a normalmap and you don't need to mess with it much.
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

This new update adds basic auto texture assigning. When working, if you load a model the script will load the associated textures and apply them directly (don't forget to cycle blend if you don't see anything in the preview) :

Make sure to have the new associated .txt file next to the script. It's basically used as a dictionnary to grab the full paths of the textures since the mmdl only have their names. The game seems to do everything with hashes so I can't do better without knowing the hash function, unless I'm missing something.

Anyways, to make it work :
-set your dump path at the top of the .py file
-set the scanning option to True
-vertex colors screw up some of the models since they're probably not meant to be used during rendering, set the option to load them to false to make sure you have a correct preview (especially for environment models)

That's it, you just have to set it once, then you can just load the models as usual, the script will do the rest.
09williamsad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:18 pm
Joschka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:46 am Cool thanks, some of them may have been fixed by M-1's last additions. I'd suggest giving another try with the latest version, I'll check the remaining non working files.
5700 textures, from looking around 2106 did not convert, most of them are all white with some being another colour, list attached.

Models reconverted with the new script, 8333 total with 40 that did not convert, list attached.
Cool thanks, I'll take a look later
Esbeckett wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:18 pm Is there any information on finding the monster models? Are they in the map files or should they have been in the characters subfolder?
I saw some enemy models in places like packs\maps\s010_cave\subareas
Esbeckett
ultra-n00b

Post by Esbeckett »

Joschka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:30 pmI saw some enemy models in places like packs\maps\s010_cave\subareas
Excellent, thanks for confirming! It should be easy enough to just swap the python script, so I'll do that. It seems a bit weird on their part to have Samus alone in the characters subfolder and then shove everything else into the respective maps.
09williamsad
veteran

Post by 09williamsad »

Joschka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:30 pm This new update adds basic auto texture assigning. When working, if you load a model the script will load the associated textures and apply them directly (don't forget to cycle blend if you don't see anything in the preview) :
I saw some enemy models in places like packs\maps\s010_cave\subareas
Thanks, I am testing the new version now.
It seems that the texture assignment only works on some models.
00000003.MMDL in the players\Samus pkg/folder works fine, but 00000142.MMDL in the same place does not.
Alot of map/level chunks seem to be fine.

The Noesis debug log has alot of this:

Detected file type: Metroid dread
-texnorepfn parameter accepted.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_0_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_1_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_2_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_3_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_4_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_5_material'...Failed.
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

09williamsad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:33 pm Thanks, I am testing the new version now.
It seems that the texture assignment only works on some models.
00000003.MMDL in the players\Samus pkg/folder works fine, but 00000142.MMDL in the same place does not.
Alot of map/level chunks seem to be fine.

Yeah the texture assignment will currently fail in two cases :
-the mesh doesn't have a material chunk mentionning textures. This is the case of this 142 file and other meshes used for vfx and such. My guess is that they uses some shaders that don't make use of textures or vertex colors and other things to make them look the way they do ingame. If you find a texture whose name would suggest that it should be used by this 142 model though let me know but I don't think there would be.
-the texture fails to load due to the format not being implemented yet, and end up displaying a white placeholder, this will progressively get solved as more formats are added for textures. I can't really give an ETA for more texture support though, I find working on these to be very boring...
09williamsad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:33 pm The Noesis debug log has alot of this:

Detected file type: Metroid dread
-texnorepfn parameter accepted.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_0_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_1_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_2_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_3_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_4_material'...Failed.
Reading 'C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\Metroid Dread\players\samus\\mesh_5_material'...Failed.
Yeah you can safely ignore these, it just happens when the material is "empty", so in the cases above.

But yeah keep in mind that material support is hacky since I can't do much better than this (unless I'm missing something) due to the way they're referenced, we'd need to know the actual filenames of the file extracted by the pkg so that would imply getting their hash function/making a hook to grab them.
This is also the reason why I can't add animation support : I have the format completely figured out but the joints are referenced by hashes of their names it seems, which aren't present in the model file. So without the hash function I can't add it.
Enderfacio
beginner

Post by Enderfacio »

Joschka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:30 pm This new update adds basic auto texture assigning. When working, if you load a model the script will load the associated textures and apply them directly (don't forget to cycle blend if you don't see anything in the preview) :

Make sure to have the new associated .txt file next to the script. It's basically used as a dictionnary to grab the full paths of the textures since the mmdl only have their names. The game seems to do everything with hashes so I can't do better without knowing the hash function, unless I'm missing something.

Anyways, to make it work :
-set your dump path at the top of the .py file
-set the scanning option to True
-vertex colors screw up some of the models since they're probably not meant to be used during rendering, set the option to load them to false to make sure you have a correct preview (especially for environment models)

That's it, you just have to set it once, then you can just load the models as usual, the script will do the rest.
I can't get it to work... I set the address were I have the .bctex files but nothing happens.. Do I need to move them to the same folder as the .mmdl files?
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

Enderfacio wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:17 pm I can't get it to work... I set the address were I have the .bctex files but nothing happens.. Do I need to move them to the same folder as the .mmdl files?
You need to give the path where the "textures" folder is located (next to "gui", "packs" etc) after you dumped the game. It won't work if you moved the .bctex files if that's what you mean since their path is hardcoded in the files.
CosmicDreams
advanced

Post by CosmicDreams »

Does anyone know if the textures at textures\actors\characters\samus_facial\models\textures are used?
i can't find the meshes for them in the samus pkg.
Enderfacio
beginner

Post by Enderfacio »

Joschka wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:24 pm
Enderfacio wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:17 pm I can't get it to work... I set the address were I have the .bctex files but nothing happens.. Do I need to move them to the same folder as the .mmdl files?
You need to give the path where the "textures" folder is located (next to "gui", "packs" etc) after you dumped the game. It won't work if you moved the .bctex files if that's what you mean since their path is hardcoded in the files.
Yes this is were I have the dumped files:
dumpPath = r"H:\Metroid\Extracted_NCA\romfs"

And I'm loading the .mmdl files from the same dumped location:
H:\Metroid\Extracted_NCA\romfs\packs\players
But I don't know why is not working :(
09williamsad
veteran

Post by 09williamsad »

CosmicDreams wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 pm Does anyone know if the textures at textures\actors\characters\samus_facial\models\textures are used?
The meshes do not have useful names, just number IDs.
Joschka
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Joschka »

Enderfacio wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:33 pm Yes this is were I have the dumped files:
dumpPath = r"H:\Metroid\Extracted_NCA\romfs"

And I'm loading the .mmdl files from the same dumped location:
H:\Metroid\Extracted_NCA\romfs\packs\players
But I don't know why is not working :(
That looks correct, did you also set the option below to True ? After you did this did you save the file then close/reopen Noesis or reloaded the plugins (Tools -> Reload) for the changes to be applied ?
CosmicDreams
advanced

Post by CosmicDreams »

09williamsad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:35 pm
CosmicDreams wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 pm Does anyone know if the textures at textures\actors\characters\samus_facial\models\textures are used?
The meshes do not have useful names, just number IDs.
Yeah i noticed they don't. I went through all the ones in the samus pkg and none had meshes that looked like they used the textures in that folder.
If there is a mesh that uses them somewhere i want it because it seems like they're textures for her helmet but with transparent glass to see her face.