Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Prey (2017) pak decryption tool

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
fordyi
ultra-n00b

Re: Prey (2017) pak decryption tool

Post by fordyi »

lolwatt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:52 pm
Typhon was created with UE4, not CryEngine like Prey and Mooncrash.
It's due to outsource or whatever, who knows. :P
[/quote]

Well that already drastically complicates things. I was just hoping to port over the VR inputs into the base game. But with different engines being used, that's already out the window. So it would mean either converting the entire base game into UE4 or writing from scratch a VR implementation for cryengine?
Locane
ultra-n00b

Post by Locane »

Registered to come and say:

If you are trying to extract a mod you installed to edit and it is named *.pak, try just renaming it to *.zip and extracting it with winrar or winzip. It might just be zipped.

I had to do that for https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/7 to up the amount of Mineral material.

Edit: Although now I'm not sure the mod is working at all, or if it ever was.
theraineydaze
ultra-n00b

Post by theraineydaze »

Does anyone have a mirror for this?
Sqeegie
ultra-n00b

Post by Sqeegie »

theraineydaze wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:31 am Does anyone have a mirror for this?
Just replace the original domain with "sirkane.io". I.e. https://sirkane.io/PreyConvert_003.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gep55
veteran

Post by gep55 »

Thanks, this method works great for the textures from Sniper Ghost Contracts for about 90% of the textures. Some of them are still not converted correctly no matter what I do, however. Would anyone here be ok to receive a PM with some sample files that I can't convert?

Cheers :)
gep55
veteran

Post by gep55 »

Ok, fixed the problem. For anyone else, you have to lower the resolution size for some textures in the dds header. For example, you may need to make a 1024x1024 header say 512x512 to make the texture load in noesis correctly.
not a russian spy
ultra-n00b

Post by not a russian spy »

HeliosAI wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 1:23 am Ok what you need:
Noesis (huge thanks here to MrAdults for supporting the normal map format of these properly, even Photoshop doesn't like them much)
Hex Editor
Intel .dds plugin for Photoshop (for the specgloss map thingies)
This .zip with headers:
BC4_Headers.zip
1. Textures are made of these files:
The .dds contains the header info and i think smallest mip level, 1-8 files are increasing mips of the texture. Just take the biggest one (with the highest number, in this case 8, it is the most HD version)

2. Open the .dds and the .8 file in HxD. Switch to the .8 file and select everything with ctrl+a, then copy it with ctrl+c.

3. Switch to the .dds file and select everyting starting at Offset 94 to the end:
(94 is important, if you do it at for eg 95 your texture will be shifted sidewards and not match the UV)
Then simply paste with ctrl+p and save with ctrl+s.

4. Open texture in Noesis and convert to your format of choice.
You can alternatively open these in Photoshop using the Intel plugins mentioned above. For that open your texture in HxD again and change this small part from whatever it is to 01 (thanks to chrrox for figuring this out):

5. You may have noticed that _ddn (normal maps) usually don't just have the 1-X files but also files called like 6a,7a,8a. 1-8 belong to normal map, 1a-8a belong to the gloss map.
You have to convert it seperately (as far as i know anyway). I don't know where the game gets this header from, it isn't the .a file. I figured it's BC4 textures however and added a .zip to this post that has headers for the dimensions i came across in the files. The gloss maps here share the dimensions the normal maps have (4k normal map = 4k gloss map). So if it is 4k, open BC4_4k_header.dds and the .8a file in HxD, copy everything from the .8a file again and paste it below the header (offset 80). Save it under a new name you will find easy.
Noesis displays these as plain white, but Photoshop with the linked plugins loads them fine.

6. I noticed that for some reasons the normal map channels seem to be switched (red should be green, green should be red). If you don't do that shading might look quite bad in whatever software you render in.

7. You're finally done and can load them all on your model! Yey!
Actually THERE IS .a file (at least in my case) for glossy maps! But! It's corrupted! So, if you can fix it, it will work just like the rest(i mean that you will be able to do the same thing as with that 1kb .dds files). This also will allow you to WORK WITH GLOSSY MAPS IN NEOSIS!

Here is the way how to solve the problem:

1. Open the .a file in Hex Editor

2. Paste 44 44 53 20 before other stuff that must go after it

3. Save it

4. Work with it like with .dds file from the step 2 of the original post

I hope you will understand what I am trying to say, I also hope that it helped someone :wink:

Not a native English speaker, so... yea
whynotll83
ultra-n00b

Post by whynotll83 »

No matter what order I paste in hex I can't extract the gloss texture, I don't understand what "before other stuff that must go after it" means.
whynotll83
ultra-n00b

Post by whynotll83 »

Using hex workshop, changing dx10 to whatever "ATI1" is lets me open the file in photoshop, I got the solution by using the star citizen converter and comparing the differences in file.
Also I confused pasting with replacing as hex doesn't let me write without replacing existing numbers.