Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

MECHWARRIOR 4 MERCENARIES PLEASE!!!

Old posts about game archives and other formats.
szevvy
n00b

Post by szevvy »

We don't want all the data. We want a bit from the front and back as that usually says a lot about the rest of the file. It's like going in for a blood test - they don't take all your blood, a little bit is enough to tell 'em about the rest.
TsunamiZ
advanced

Post by TsunamiZ »

whats the front and back?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TsunamiZ wrote:what do u mean "split up the FRONT and BACK of the file, it normally gives us ENOUGH information"? dont u need the whole file to get all the data?
no we dont need ALL the data, we can figure out whats INDIDE the file because the information containing the files contents is inside the FRONT and BACK 90% of the time.

So just use the file cutter I attached in my post, and then attact the file it exports to one of your posts.
thne we will Examine it for you and see what we can find/learn from it.
It's like going in for a blood test - they don't take all your blood, a little bit is enough to tell 'em about the rest.
Thats a damn good example my friend lol.

whats the front and back?
THing of your file in terms of a good book.
You have the FONT the MIDDLE and the BACK.
Files are similer to this, they have 3 parts, so using the file cutter it will make a copy of the front and BACK data of the file you want it to.
Does that all make sense or do you want a more detailed Explenation(not sure how much more detailed i can make it though
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

TsunamiZ wrote:whats the front and back?
A file is a very long string of bytes.

For instance, a file could look like this, each letter represents one byte.

Code: Select all

SDFHFNGNBCVCXZXCVVNM12837485E
The first byte, S, is at position 1 (or 0 for geeks).

So:

Code: Select all

SDFHFNGNBCVCXZXCVVNM12837485E
123456789....and so on.....
FRONT.......MIDDLE.......BACK
The second byte is D, see?

So the FRONT of the file starts at the S byte.
The end of the file starts at byte E (the last byte in the string).

If we say we need the front and the back of a file we need a number of bytes from the start (FRONT) of the file (in example say "SDFHFN"), na from the end (BACK) of the file (in example say "37485E").

The file cutter tool can cut of pieces from the start and from the end, it will zip it and you can upload that zip file.

Why can we use only that and not the whole file? Because important information about the contents of archives is usually saved at the front (start) or at the back (end) of the archive.
TsunamiZ
advanced

Post by TsunamiZ »

that file is a .cab archive. and inside that are various .mw4 archives. so do you want the .cab file or just one of the .mw4 files?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TsunamiZ wrote:that file is a .cab archive. and inside that are various .mw4 archives. so do you want the .cab file or just one of the .mw4 files?
one or 2 of the mw4 files is better.
As you can OPEN the CAB, so the CAB file doesnt need ANALYSING, only the files you DONT UNDERSTAND need analysing.
btw Mr. Mouse How many posts does it take to become another level or a VIP member?
TsunamiZ
advanced

Post by TsunamiZ »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
TsunamiZ
advanced

Post by TsunamiZ »

how goes it for the audio files?
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TsunamiZ wrote:how goes it for the audio files?
Oh lol, u wanted AUDIO.
well im certian that wont be in the TEXTURE file then lol.
Props = Models and such It seems, Maybe there is a BGM or a VOX file laying about somewhere you can upload if its music ur after.
TsunamiZ
advanced

Post by TsunamiZ »

actually pretty much all the audio are stored in those 2 files. this is verified using the game audio player to extract them [some were not extracted since game audio player didn't detect them].

btw: i'm not after the music. i'm actually after the voice / speech, and other sounds.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TsunamiZ wrote:actually pretty much all the audio are stored in those 2 files. this is verified using the game audio player to extract them [some were not extracted since game audio player didn't detect them].

btw: i'm not after the music. i'm actually after the voice / speech, and other sounds.
Any chance oyu can link me to or possibly UPLOAD game audio player.
As i found 2 files of audio in ADX format but thats it,
i scanned with both Jeader and with Multi Ex and NEITHER can find any known formats in there.
I KNOW there are .TGA files in Props, and Textures seems to contain SOEMTHING else maybe Models but I cant seem to find any audio files in either of them, Are you sure that there isnt a VOX or BGM file anywhere?

VOx would have all the ingame speach deffinatly but it doesnt seem like these files do at all.
Il still look at this audio player and see WHAT it finds in THESE uploaded files.
TsunamiZ
advanced

Post by TsunamiZ »

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

I have tried MultiEx Commander on your MW4 files and they open! What reason did you have to believe these MW4 files were any different as those already supported by MultiEx Commander?

See also http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Mech_W ... ercinaries

I was waiting for some examples, to see if these files were any different. But no, it seems they open with Multiex Commander no problemo. So go do it!
Last edited by Mr.Mouse on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TsunamiZ
advanced

Post by TsunamiZ »

I haven't tried. I just checked the "MultiEx Commander Supported Games List"...

Mechwarrior 4 Merc MW4 No

So if it's supported, is it complete in revealing all the audio and other files? Can the audio be extracted into a standard readable format?