Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Stage/Slot Extractor

The Off-Topic Forum - Anything goes! As long as it's legal(ish). Things that made you scream "Holy Cow!"
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Stage/Slot Extractor

Post by JayK »

Made an extractor for the stagedata.pdt and slot.dat files for peace walker and the hd version. You can get it as well as look at the source here;

https://github.com/Jayveer/Chrysalis/

If you're interested in the models I've made a Noesis plugin which you can get from the following link;

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16964&p=133543#p133543
Last edited by JayK on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casedey
beginner

Re: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker Stage/Slot Extractor

Post by Casedey »

Is there a compiled version of the extractor?
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

Yes, just go to the releases page on the right
RandomGRUSoldier
ultra-n00b

Post by RandomGRUSoldier »

When trying to open many of the models from Slot (Peace Walker) I get an error saying "Vertex Offset is 0, unknown", I'm using the PS3 version, I was wondering if I get the PSP version this won't happen, since I was really interested in getting the default green outfit soldiers/mercs, is there any way I can get them using your tools, or do you have any plans on fixing out this error? Thanks in advance for any answer, and thanks for your effort!
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

The PSP version has the same. However a lot of those files that don't open have duplicate files which do have a Vertex offset, but I couldn't say where the soldier outfits are as I haven't tried every file.
RandomGRUSoldier
ultra-n00b

Right, thanks for the reply. So far I've found all the MSF, the Peace Sentinel Captain and even the Costa Rican militant/Sandinista, that last one surprised me.
I could look each folder one by one and list what's inside each folder if that might be helpful for someone.

So there's any chance you might try to fix the error anytime soon? I might rip the missing ones using Ninjaripper if not, they surely won't be clean rips as yours, but we'll have them.
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

sorry, I don't plan on supporting those files anytime soon. Have you also been looking in the Stage and Dar files?
RandomGRUSoldier
ultra-n00b

Yeah, when I got all the files unpacked I thought all the enemy soldiers would be in their stage folder, just like in MGS3, but I came to realize that most of what you find on Stage are items, like binoculars, and map stuff.
Anyways I'll see if I can do a extensive research soon (this week) and list what's inside each folder, and upload the list here.

About the soldiers, If I don't find them, I'll get them manually. Thanks for all your tools JayK, it's pretty much appreciated!
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

No problem, that list would be helpful thanks, I'll try to add dictionary support as well soon to resolve some of the hashes. I'll return to this again at some point but for now want to focus on finishing adding Noesis support for the other MGS games.
RandomGRUSoldier
ultra-n00b

Sure, hopefully I'll be able to upload a complete list tomorrow, and about these other MGS games you mentioned, are Acid 1 or Acid 2 included? Always had interest in seeing some of the soldiers from the Acid games closer.
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

I'm focusing on the mainline mgs games for now. But I may afterwards. I think it is also MDP which means I'd add it to the PW noesis plugin.
Desso
ultra-n00b

Post by Desso »

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this. I still got to figure it out how this all works to see the models. I hope to extract some environments out of the game.

EDIT: Figured it out and can view the models, but can't find complete environments but that's probably setup in engine right.

Any plans for snake eater? :)
JayK
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JayK »

Hi, I've also yet to come across the environment data, I'll have to put together that dictionary to make things easier to identify but I have a feeling it will be something to do with the .vram files as its the only game in the series I've come across that uses them.

As for Snake Eater, if it's the PS2 version you're after I made something for that last week which you can get from this topic;

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23549

I'll also release a Noesis plugin for MGS2 in the next few days as well.
JoanMetcalfe
ultra-n00b

Post by JoanMetcalfe »

Hey. Thx you for your work! Nice one!! :D
blackirishbastrd
ultra-n00b

Post by blackirishbastrd »

Hey Jay, this tool is great, as are all of your mgs tools! Unfortunately it seems like all of the mechs/ai weapons are among the models with the "vertex offset is 0" error. I know you said you aren't planning on updating the tool support those, so can you point me in the direction of how I might be able to get at those models using other methods? I'm fairly certain I have the hashes and folders in slot identified based on their relative filesize. Thanks again for all of your work on these!