Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Bomberman Series Sound Effects

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
SteamyJ
beginner

Bomberman Series Sound Effects

Post by SteamyJ »

Greetings all. I've been posting here a bit about Bomberman and it's an ongoing hobby of mine. I figured it would be best to just make a general thread since I plan on popping in and out frequently with questions, if that's all right. Please feel free to help in any way possible as we go.

Currently I'm looking into Saturn Bomberman and Saturn Bomberman Fight!!. I used PowerISO and was able to find the voice files in Saturn as .AIF files but it seems the sound effects are still lurking deeper. Anyone have any idea how to investigate further?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Bomberman Series Sound Effects

Post by DKDave »

From what I can see in Saturn Bomberman:

In the BOMSS folder - .CPK are the video files (with some dialogue), .AIF are voice files.
In the NETLINK folder - the .WAV files are sound effects.

There doesn't appear to be any other sounds than those above.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

This is where I got stuck. The .WAV files in the Netlink folder are for the Netlink capabilities and not the game itself. Do you think they could be in the .bin files in the BOMSS folder? I'm unable to extract anything from those files with PowerISO.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I think you're right. The PROGRAM.BIN file is an archive of lots of files, I can hear some 8-bit signed audio data in there, which is all the sound effects and in-game voices. I can't see a way to easily extract them at the moment. I'm thinking there must be a table somewhere to reference this, so I'll have a look.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

I showed this to a friend and he was able to find a few things of interest. Using Audacity, he was able to locate some of the sounds in the PROGRAM.BIN file.

https://imgur.com/Kl0cZ5X
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Hey all. Lately I shifted gears and have been working on Super Bomberman R on Steam. I have located where the sound files are but Windows can't seem to identify what they are. I turned off the "Hide extensions for known file types" and got nothing. It won't open with Foobar either. Any thoughts?

https://imgur.com/HXVPm0O
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Hello again!

I'm guessing it's an archive. Can you upload one of them so we can check?
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Hello again Dave! Here's that file: https://mega.nz/#!soZjRCRB!h0_uEuo4Qlv8 ... oE6X2FErwQ
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

There's nothing obvious in the file, so it's either compressed or encrypted. I looked at various compression methods and couldn't find anything, so it's more likely encrypted. I don't know much about decryption, so hopefully someone else might.
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Thanks for trying Dave.
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Hello all. I've switched my tune and have been looking at Bomberman Blast for Wii, the Japanese version. I've been trying to rip the music/sound effects from the game. I used Dolphin and extracted a .brsar file but can't seem to get much done with it. BrawlBox only plays like 5 sounds of the entire thing, brsar unpacker won't open when I try to run it, and I even tried a .brsar extractor. Anyone out there have experience with these files?

The brsar file: https://mega.nz/file/c0YgzaqL#eqkqW01v2 ... Yk0O3LNkTA
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

The brsar file follows the same format as the Nintendo DS .sdat files. In this case, each file seems to start with "RWAV"

Should be possible to write an extractor if there isn't already one!
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Do you know if one exists Dave? I'm not familiar with writing things like this. I had read that these sounds/music are sequenced and not easily obtainable.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I've recently discovered that VGMTrans can play the sequenced music from these files.

https://github.com/magcius/vgmtrans/releases

When you load the .brsar file, you get a load of instruments, sequences, etc. I saved the instrument set as Soundfont2 and the Sequences as MIDI, and use a MIDI plugin for Foobar and it seems to work quite well.
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Well I'll be dern. Thank you Dave! That version of VGMTrans worked! The bass is pretty strong in these clips but I can tweak that. I've also been looking for the music so this is a double bonus really.

Out of curiosity, do you make anything of that file from the Steam version of Super Bomberman R? There's a few exclusive characters to that version who have voices in it.