Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Bleech
ultra-n00b

Re: Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post by Bleech »

im looking thru ur code for d3dmesh, ive been working on https://github.com/LucasSaragosa/LibTelltale for the last couple of months, there is a lot of stuff i recognize in d3dmesh i think i could help u understand a abit more about the format dm if u are interested

For example: u read a property set (.prop) from a map of materails to mat info and here (converted to java):
'if(matsecthash1.equals("52a09151")&&matsecthash2.equals("f1c3f2c7"))-- Way too many smaller variants, I'll only list the important ones.'

Your just comparing the CRC64 of 'handle<t3texture>'. this is a propertyset type. a handle<T> is a reference to a file telltale uses and when serialized its a crc hash :D
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

I'm using 3DS Max 2018, when I go to import any model from Back to the Future it either freezes and crashes or doesn't import the skeleton anymore. Both the D3DMesh and .skl files are in the same folder as well, not sure what's going on here.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

The last few updates seem to merge the mesh together, it's kinda not really helpful lol. Plus I've noticed it disregards any skl file for at least the zombies of the final season. I've not checked the others, that game was kinda bad anyways :P
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

Tydeus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:08 pm The last few updates seem to merge the mesh together, it's kinda not really helpful lol. Plus I've noticed it disregards any skl file for at least the zombies of the final season. I've not checked the others, that game was kinda bad anyways :P
It seems to disregard skl files entirely, I'm having a similar issue with Back to the Future stuff and I tried to import Marty with his skl, but it only imported the mesh without any skeleton or weights. Some models just plain stopped working like Doc Brown where nothing is imported, hope he sees and fixes this.

Using Max 2018 btw.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Using Max 2018 btw.
I should add I'm using Max 2009.

I'm currently using the script dated 05/2019 and things seem to work fine for that one, the script I'm having issue on is the 24/02/2021. The odd merged mesh part issue is also in 19/10/2020.
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

Tydeus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 pm
Using Max 2018 btw.
I should add I'm using Max 2009.

I'm currently using the script dated 05/2019 and things seem to work fine for that one, the script I'm having issue on is the 24/02/2021. The odd merged mesh part issue is also in 19/10/2020.
Do you think you can share the script that works for you? I can't find any older versions of the script and it might also work for me.
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

RandomTBush wrote: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:44 am UPDATED 02/24/2021:
  • Fixed models refusing to import in 3DS Max 2021 (the "twoSided" error was due to it trying to apply "Standard" material settings to a "Physical" material, which apparently is the new default).
This script for 3DS Max will import the models from the majority of games that Telltale Games developed, with the original bone structures and rigging information (which by the way was no fun to fix up). This is the result of a year's worth of work... Well, not entirely, I started working on this back in July 2013, left it for a few months in a half-complete state and finished it up way later.

What games will this work with? [PC, unless stated otherwise]:[/b]
  • Back to the Future: The Game (30th Anniversary Edition) [PS4]
  • Batman: The Telltale Series (Season 1) [PC / PS4]
  • Batman: The Enemy Within (Season 2) [PC / PS4]
  • Bone: Out from Boneville
  • Bone: The Great Cow Race
  • CSI: 3 Dimensions of Murder
  • CSI: Hard Evidence
  • Game of Thrones [PC / PS4]
  • Jurassic Park: The Game
  • Law & Order: Legacies
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Minecraft: Story Mode (Season 1) [PC / PS4]
  • Poker Night 2
  • Sam & Max Save the World Remastered
  • Sam & Max Season 1
  • Sam & Max Season 2
  • Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
  • Tales from the Borderlands [PC / PS4]
  • Telltale Texas Hold'em
  • Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, Episodes 1-3
  • The Walking Dead Season 1 [PC / PS4]
  • The Walking Dead Season 2 [PC / PS4]
  • The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (Season 3) [PC / PS4]
  • The Walking Dead: Michonne
  • The Walking Dead: The Final Season (Season 4)
  • The Walking Dead Collection [PS4]
  • The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series
  • The Wolf Among Us [PC / PS4]

What games will this NOT work with (yet?):
  • Back to the Future: The Game [PC]
  • CSI: Deadly Intent
  • CSI: Fatal Conspiracy
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy [PS4]
  • Poker Night at the Inventory
  • Sam & Max Season 3
  • Tales of Monkey Island
  • Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, Episode 4
  • Pretty much any non-PC/PS4 versions of the above

One of these days I'll figure out what to do with those "Version 1" games.

Decryption key for Sam & Max: Save the World Remastered:

Code: Select all

ttarchext -k 92CA9A8185E46473A2BFD6D17FC6CB88995A80D8AAC297E796519FA89AD9AE95D776627FB4C4A6B9D6ECA99C6785B3DC92C49E64A0A292
Important things to keep in mind:
  • You'll need both the *.D3DMesh and *.SKL files, which should be in the same folder. The latter should be in the "data" TTARCHs.
  • Any bones or texture names that are unknown will be named after the first half of their hash. If their proper names are discovered, they will be added in a future update.
  • Use the QuickBMS scripts supplied to convert the D3DTX files to DDS, if necessary.
Download MaxScript
Download D3DTX to DDS QuickBMS Scripts
Tip for converting PS4 D3DTX textures

Please let me know if there are problems importing any of the models using this script, and I'll do what I can to fix it!
Could you take a look at our issues me and the other user are having? I'm not getting any of the .skl files to work with the mesh files and some mesh files don't import at all anymore now. I don't know if it's because of the latest script or my Max version.

Game: Back to the Future PS4

Max: 2018 version
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

That's strange, I could've sworn I fixed it for the Back to the Future models already... Those *are* indeed the PS4 models that are being imported and not the PC version's, correct? Either way, send me some samples via PM so I compare with what I've got, and see exactly what I (almost certainly) screwed up. Trying to maintain 16-and-a-half different revisions without accidentally breaking something is proving to be quite the ordeal...

In the meantime, I added the older version of my script to the first post, from before I revamped / optimized everything if you want to try that out.
Tydeus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 pmThe odd merged mesh part issue is also in 19/10/2020.
Yeah, uh... that's intentional. That was part of the whole optimization process I did with the recent revision since it was faster to build a single mesh instead of several, broken-up ones, but if it was apparently better that way then I guess I'll need to re-implement an option for that in the next update. :bleh:
ohyeahbeepboop wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 amWhen will Season 3 of Sam and Max be supported? Do you plan to make it supported? I've been trying to convert the meshes from d3d for days now and it won't work. I'm trying to get them into Blender but nothing I'm doing is working :/
Can't say for sure, I never did figure out how to decompress the vertex buffers, and I'm definitely not smart enough to debug/decompile the EXEs to figure out how it's done.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:20 amYeah, uh... that's intentional. That was part of the whole optimization process I did with the recent revision since it was faster to build a single mesh instead of several, broken-up ones, but if it was apparently better that way then I guess I'll need to re-implement an option for that in the next update. :bleh:
Oh, I dunno, it's probably fine maybe, I assume programs like XNALara will break up the model based on textures used, but I like to do headswaps and whatnot.

Although it does make it easier with them being in parts due to models using several texture maps for the face, like a bleeding face/zombie etc.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:22 amOh, I dunno, it's probably fine maybe, I assume programs like XNALara will break up the model based on textures used, but I like to do headswaps and whatnot.

Although it does make it easier with them being in parts due to models using several texture maps for the face, like a bleeding face/zombie etc.
And, thinking about it, having separate materials is also how the "bodygroups" for the SBCG4AP models work (face textures and Strong Bad's other set of boxing gloves, for instance), so yeah I can definitely understand why it'd be good to have those split up.

But yeah, go figure, the issues stem from my admittedly-crappy coding, so I'll work on undoing some of the changes I made to get those working again soon.
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

Is there any reason meshes import with split pieces? Is there a way to import with everything as one mesh or at least pieces like the body and the head, instead of the head being split into multiple meshes and such? Importing for BTTF PS4.
Coverop
ultra-n00b

Post by Coverop »

I'm having difficulties with converting .d3dtx to .dds
I've used TellTale Explorer, but It can't convert everything in one go, tho It's possible to convert most of it.

I tried QuickBSM but I can't find a version for Sam & Max Remastered.
Does anyone else have this issue?
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Assasinge wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:27 pm Is there any reason meshes import with split pieces? Is there a way to import with everything as one mesh or at least pieces like the body and the head, instead of the head being split into multiple meshes and such? Importing for BTTF PS4.
I used to have the problem when using Mario's 3DS to XNALara. The entire model would look like it was ran through a blender, or paper shredder. A few of my earlier models are like that.
Snipy
ultra-n00b

Post by Snipy »

Hi, I beg you to help. I use 3ds max and tellatale exporter, but when I export models from game of thrones, it wants textures of type 8382s38s.dds. but the exported textures from the game have normal names, I do everything the same. I tried 3ds max 2010, version 2021 and it still wants a different texture name than the correct one. For other games, thank you normally. I need an export game of thrones. Thank you very much ;)
daniar23337
n00b

Post by daniar23337 »

Coverop wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:58 pm I'm having difficulties with converting .d3dtx to .dds
I've used TellTale Explorer, but It can't convert everything in one go, tho It's possible to convert most of it.

I tried QuickBSM but I can't find a version for Sam & Max Remastered.
Does anyone else have this issue?
use telltale_d3dtx_batman_gotg_twd3_mcsm2.bms