Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Gears of War pre-release models

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
AngelBryan
ultra-n00b

Gears of War pre-release models

Post by AngelBryan »

Hello. I am trying to extract the models from the leaked Unreal Warfare (Gears of War) pre-release build from 2004, however the files are too old and is almost impossible to get them out, that's why I came here asking for your help. I already tried extracting them with UE Viewer but It crashes everytime I try to open the packages. What I managed to do is exporting each individual asset from some packages into .T3D files, but trying to open them with UDK Editor fails as well. So what could be done? As fas as I know, those models have never been ripped and would be nice to get them out just for the sake of preservation, maybe we could also give them use and a new life.

Pre-release COG Gear

Pre-release Geist (Locust) Wretch

COG Assault Rifle

Unreal Warfare Build: https://mega.nz/file/jodUkRIA#gKhBYLwVu ... j1K4HLXXDw
Last edited by AngelBryan on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Gears of War pre-release models

Post by DKDave »

From what I can see, there's no actual model data in those Grunt or Wretch files - just textures and text files.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
AngelBryan
ultra-n00b

Post by AngelBryan »

Yeah i just realized that, it seems that only the textures were exported. Any idea on how could we extract them? I don't know what else to do.
Highflex
beginner

Post by Highflex »

I believe the source code to compile the engine was also included, so what you could do is write a new batch commandlet that goes into the USkeletalMesh Class and dumps it to your desired format, this is quite advanced and will probably require some experience with the Unreal API but its the only clean and fast solution i can think of unless you edit UModel ( Unreal Model Viewer) and then support the differences in the Format/Classes. ( The exact information is also in the native source code ).
AngelBryan
ultra-n00b

Post by AngelBryan »

Highflex wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:45 pm I believe the source code to compile the engine was also included, so what you could do is write a new batch commandlet that goes into the USkeletalMesh Class and dumps it to your desired format, this is quite advanced and will probably require some experience with the Unreal API but its the only clean and fast solution i can think of unless you edit UModel ( Unreal Model Viewer) and then support the differences in the Format/Classes. ( The exact information is also in the native source code ).
Unfortunately that is beyond my abilities. Do you think you could do it? I will appreciate it very much.