Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

L.A. Noire

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
odrin
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: L.A. Noire

Post by odrin »

hey anyone figure out how to get the beat cop uniform to replace one of the suits? or just model swapping/replacement in general?
masagrator
n00b

Post by masagrator »

So after almost 2 years and learning a bit programming I came back to LA Noire and made my own scripts + modified existing to make them work for Switch version.

Few words:
- Python scripts are designed around Python 2, didn't test for Python 3. You need "numpy" for Python installed
- It is advised to not use cmd on Windows for python scripts. Use bash from WSL to unpack/pack correctly all big.nx files + unlock long paths in regedit/gpedit
- Textures are swizzled, format used for specified texture matches format used on PC, so you can copy DDS header from PC and replace them in .nxtex (0x78 bytes belong to header) or add them to .raw file at the beginning. Fonts are using BGRA8 format, rest textures either DXT5 (most cases) or DXT1
- Console versions of game are not using strings of root.atb to render text in main menu for "NEW", "RESUME", "EXTRAS", "CASES", "VEHICLE SHOWROOM" and "CREDITS". They are baked to props files you can find in props.big.nx/intermediate/chunks/props/game_menu/*language*/

bignx.unpack.py and bignx.pack.py were tested with:
- cases.big.nx + cases.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc1.big.nx + dlc.dlc1.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc2.big.nx + dlc.dlc2.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc3.big.nx + dlc.dlc3.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc4.big.nx + dlc.dlc4.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc5.big.nx + dlc.dlc5.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc6.big.nx + dlc.dlc6.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc7.big.nx + dlc.dlc7.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc8.big.nx + dlc.dlc8.big.nx.offsets.txt
- dlc.dlc9.big.nx + dlc.dlc9.big.nx.offsets.txt
- ui_streamed_textures.big.nx + ui_streamed_textures.big.nx.offsets.txt
- props.big.nx + props.big.nx.offsets.txt

Put those files and scripts in one folder.
Edit mainfile string in python scripts to any ".big.nx" file. ".big.nx.offsets.txt" files are used to get filenames and paths for packing and unpacking files.
bignx.pack.py is packing ".big.nx" file to "output" folder. It takes file table from original ".big.nx" file, puts it to new file and patches it with correct sizes + offsets.
If in file table in ".big.nx" archive file has two sizes described, first data is pasted with original filename, second data is pasted with original filename + ".raw".

Because different big.nx files are using different page aligning, packing original files may result in different size. This is normal as I'm using page aligning "size & 0xF" because this is used by game for all big.nx files.

For extracting and patching wad + atb files I have modified 010 scripts from kramla's LANOIRE-TOOLS
USAGE
- cases-atb-unpack.1sc (it works with DLC files too):
  • Load this script to 010 editor
  • Press F7
  • Select .chunk.nx files in attribute folder for any unpacked .big.nx archive
  • .chunk.nx.txt file will be generated in the same folder as .chunk.nx
If you want to extract different language change 0 from at lines 83 and 92 "k==0" to
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

- cases-atb-pack.1sc (it works with DLC files too):
  • Press F7
  • Select chunx.nx.txt files in attribute folder for any unpacked .big.nx archive
  • .chunk.nx file in the same folder will be patched with data from .chunk.nx.txt
If you want to replace different language change 0 from at lines 83 and 103 "k==0" to
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

If 010 editor exits at some other language than English when importing data from txt files, try to open this txt file with Notepad++, convert EOL from Windows to Linux and go back to Windows from Linux, then save. If still exits, try to delete last 2 empty lines in Notepad++ and put one empty line by pressing enter at the end of file, then save.

- out-wad-unpack.1sc:
  • Load out.wad.nx to 010 Editor
  • Load out-wad-unpack.1sc to 010 editor
  • Focus 010 Editor on out.wad.nx and press F7
  • If list of scripts will be showed to choose, choose and run out-wad-unpack.1sc
  • Files will be extracted to C:/LANOIRE/out
- out-wad-importer.1sc
  • Put original out.wad.nx to C:/LANOIRE
  • Press F7
  • Files from C:/LANOIRE/out will be imported to out.wad.nx in C:/LANOIRE
- root-atb-unpack.1sc:
  • Press F7
  • Select root.atb.nx file that is in C:/LANOIRE/out/attribute
  • root.atb.nx.txt file will be generated in the same folder as root.atb.nx
If you want to extract different language change 0 from at lines 83 and 92 "k==0" to
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

- root-atb-pack.1sc (if this script doesn't work, use cases-atb-pack):
  • Press F7
  • Select root.atb.nx.txt file that is in C:/LANOIRE/out/attribute
  • root.atb.nx file that is in the same folder will be patched with data from root.atb.nx.txt
If you want to replace different language change 0 from at lines 83 and 103 "k==0" to
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

BTW. thanks for 0 help from kramla because spending 15 minutes on explaining scripts seems too difficult for him. :bleh:

EDIT: Uploaded scripts again, by accident i put wrong version of cases-atb-unpack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeeJay
ultra-n00b

Post by DeeJay »

hi. i just want to edit "case.big.ps3" for ps3.. please help for this. I installed phyton on my computer but I am a novice user :) may you guide me step by step ?
pablocorsico
ultra-n00b

Post by pablocorsico »

hi, get to unzip and get the * .chunk files...

after this point someone could convert them to obj, dae, etc.?
FunnyML
beginner

Post by FunnyML »

bsod49 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:07 am Does anyone know whether PS3/X360 have better music quality (~80kbps mp3) than PC version?

Does the music game archive file was noticeably bigger than in PC version?

Maybe someone already ripped VR version, or PS4/X1, or maybe know whether music is in better quality in these versions?
Sorry for the late reply. I can definitely say that the PC version of the VR case files has the music stored as 320kbit/s MP3 files. I doubt all the music is there, though.
Here is a screenshot comparing the original spectrals (80kbit/s) with the improved vr version (320kbit/s):Image
Puterboy1
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Puterboy1 »

Why not we hear a comparison?
odrin
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by odrin »

masagrator wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:32 pm So after almost 2 years and learning a bit programming I came back to LA Noire and made my own scripts + modified existing to make them work for Switch version.

Few words:
- Python scripts are designed around Python 2, didn't test for Python 3. You need "numpy" for Python installed
- It is advised to not use cmd on Windows for python scripts. Use bash from WSL to unpack/pack correctly all big.nx files + unlock long paths in regedit/gpedit
- Textures are swizzled, format used for specified texture matches format used on PC, so you can copy DDS header from PC and replace them in .nxtex (0x78 bytes belong to header) or add them to .raw file at the beginning. Fonts are using BGRA8 format, rest textures either DXT5 (most cases) or DXT1
- Console versions of game are not using strings of root.atb to render text in main menu for "NEW", "RESUME", "EXTRAS", "CASES", "VEHICLE SHOWROOM" and "CREDITS". They are baked to props files you can find in props.big.nx/intermediate/chunks/props/game_menu/*language*/

Edit mainfile string in python scripts to any ".big.nx" file. ".big.nx.offsets.txt" files are used to get filenames and paths for packing and unpacking files.
bignx.pack.py is packing ".big.nx" file to "output" folder. It takes file table from original ".big.nx" file, puts it to new file and patches it with correct sizes + offsets.
If in file table in ".big.nx" archive file has two sizes described, first data is pasted with original filename, second data is pasted with original filename + ".raw".

Because different big.nx files are using different page aligning, packing original files may result in different size. This is normal as I'm using page aligning "size & 0xF" because this is used by game for all big.nx files.

For extracting and patching wad + atb files I have modified 010 scripts from kramla's LANOIRE-TOOLS
USAGE
  • Press F7
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

• Press F7
  • Select chunx.nx.txt files in attribute folder for any unpacked .big.nx archive
  • .chunk.nx file in the same folder will be patched with data from .chunk.nx.txt
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

If 010 editor exits at some other language than English when importing data from txt files, try to open this txt file with Notepad++, convert EOL from Windows to Linux and go back to Windows from Linux, then save. If still exits, try to delete last 2 empty lines in Notepad++ and put one empty line by pressing enter at the end of file, then save.

- out-wad-unpack.1sc:
  • If list of scripts will be showed to choose, choose and run out-wad-unpack.1sc
- out-wad-importer.1sc
  • Press F7
- root-atb-unpack.1sc:
  • Press F7
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

• Press F7
  • root.atb.nx file that is in the same folder will be patched with data from root.atb.nx.txt
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

BTW. thanks for 0 help from kramla because spending 15 minutes on explaining scripts seems too difficult for him. :bleh:

EDIT: Uploaded scripts again, by accident i put wrong version of cases-atb-unpack
hey brother can i replace outfit files with this method?
Thanhhieu1205
ultra-n00b

Post by Thanhhieu1205 »

masagrator wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:32 pm So after almost 2 years and learning a bit programming I came back to LA Noire and made my own scripts + modified existing to make them work for Switch version.

Few words:

USAGE
  • Press F7
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

• Press F7
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

- out-wad-unpack.1sc:
- out-wad-importer.1sc
  • Press F7
- root-atb-unpack.1sc:
  • Press F7
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

• Press F7
0 - English
1 - French
2 - German
3 - Italian
4 - Japanese
5 - Russian
6 - Spanish

i installed WSL, Python 2, numpy, edit mainfile, Put those files and scripts in one folder
masagrator
n00b

Post by masagrator »

1. You're using Windows path in bash, which is wrong.
2. You're not putting script as argument for Python.

They are not the issues with scripts. You don't understand how WSL and Python scripts work.
ZT111
beginner

Post by ZT111 »

The scripts were made using an old patch, so some things are outdated now. The contents of cases and out are different on the latest patch (like there's some dx11 files in graphicsdata that weren't there before). So contents of cases.big.pc and out.wad.pc from latest patch need to be unpacked again and replace those.

Problem is that root.atb.pc on latest patch doesn't work with the scripts.
https://mega.nz/file/n0wmAbJS#D-_ARYUVH ... F95EaxAjcs

They also won't work with root.atb.ps4.
https://mega.nz/file/X5g2BJwD#N2s76hixF ... bIShIwkdt4

It does still seem to work though with cases.big.ps4.
Thanhhieu1205
ultra-n00b

Post by Thanhhieu1205 »

masagrator wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:01 pm 1. You're using Windows path in bash, which is wrong.
2. You're not putting script as argument for Python.

They are not the issues with scripts. You don't understand how WSL and Python scripts work.
Thank you, i understanding how to unpack ".big.nx"
i have done unswizzled font, but i don't know how to swizzled again
sorry for my bad english
bsod49
n00b

Post by bsod49 »

FunnyML wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:18 am I can definitely say that the PC version of the VR case files has the music stored as 320kbit/s MP3 files. I doubt all the music is there, though.
Thank you very much for your reply!
But does it sound better for sure? Wasn't it simply recompressed from regular PC 80kbit/s version into 320kbit/s?
I don't know If I remember correctly, but in regular PC version there were also some music files in mono. Do they occur here as well?
FunnyML
beginner

Post by FunnyML »

bsod49 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:49 pm Thank you very much for your reply!
But does it sound better for sure? Wasn't it simply recompressed from regular PC 80kbit/s version into 320kbit/s?
I don't know If I remember correctly, but in regular PC version there were also some music files in mono. Do they occur here as well?
It wasn't transcoded from the 80kbit/s version (see my spectral comparison from March 22) and yes, it sounds better. Only a handful of tracks, though (about 57). The rest is either missing in the VR version or is identical to the PC/PS/XBOX version in terms of bitrate and channels.
moonpie
ultra-n00b

Post by moonpie »

Hey Everyone!
I would like to make a HD texture pack for L.A. Noire, but I'm stuck on if there even is a way to extract/repack the textures.
Does anyone know?
memz
beginner

Post by memz »

Hello everyone, I want to translate the game to my language, but I didn't understand anything after looking through the thread, can someone make a tutorial?