Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

2022 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege Asset Extraction Tools

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Coverop
ultra-n00b

Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Models Thread

Post by Coverop »

Fresh bump.

Is someone still working on it?
WolfAndRaven
ultra-n00b

Post by WolfAndRaven »

I tried playing with Intel GPA. It's possible to extract most of the things needed to make a character, however, with this method, you'll need A LOT of time and work if you want to have an actual good model, as in, posable, textured, model. In other words, you could get the 1.000.000 pieces needed to solve the puzzle, but the hard part is actually solving it.

My conclusion is that through this method you can get textures 100% and meshes 80% (they are posed) using Intel GPA, but other things, such as UV maps and rigs are not obtainable as far as I've seen, which means you'd have to solve those things yourself. In other words, though this method, you could extract everything, although, it would take you a lot of time to clean things up and you'd need to provide for the missing things.

I'll proceed to explain what my observations where in a detailed way:
I've "succesfully" "extracted" models and textures from the game with the last version of Intel GPA. This should serve as a disclaimer, as I've only tried this with said program with relative success. It should also be noted that this is not my area of expertise. I'm not really knowledged when it comes to ripping and extracting models from games, nor am I good with programming or coding. If anything, my whole area of expertise is in 3D Modeling, texturing, rigging, etc... This means that I can edit meshes with no problem, which surprisingly comes useful when it comes to extracting these models. Anyway.

1) When it comes to meshes, it's indeed kind of a pain: It's not necessarily hard, but it requires patience, since the characters are relatively well segmented, for example, there's a general mesh for the head, for the hair, the arms, the top of the body, some belts, etc. This means you need to be ready to export (and explore) many different sectors of the frame in order to get the full model out. Once you accept this reality, you could, theoretically export all of the meshes, including characters and weapons. I haven't tried to export maps, however, I believe it is possible. Meshes are exported as .obj files which are easily importable to any 3D software.

There's a problem though, at least for me. All the meshes I've found seem to be... distorted? More specifically, they seem to be kind of flattened, not all the way through though, which is good since it means they can be fixed simply by scaling the mesh in the affected axis. I suppose this makes sense since you are getting a frame after all. It's a problem indeed but easily solved, however, it's worth noting since it adds to the time it takes to "succesfully" export a model. I've noted however that all the meshes in one frame seem to be squashed in the same axis, the same ammount, which would theoretically mean that you could export many meshes (head, hair, arms, etc) and then scale them all together, fixing all meshes simultaneously.

Another solvable problem is that meshes get a lot of overlapping vertices, almost as if all faces were not joined, this can be solved by merging all overlapping faces, deleting the duplicated vertices.

An unsolvable problem, on my end at least, is that meshes seem to be posed, which also kind of makes sense since you are getting a frame l, so, you don't get them in a easily editable pose (T-Pose or A-Pose). This, added to that it doesn't seem possible to get the models rigged (it's a .obj after all...), means manually rigging them will be harder.

2) When it comes to textures, it's easier. Textures seem to be in the same location as meshes, which means that once you find a mesh, you should also see all the textures used by said mesh, so, you don't need to look for them all over the program. I found diffuse maps, normal maps (inverted (green), but found them nonetheless), and some other maps I don't remember (specular, or roughness I suppose). Once you export them, you get them in .dds or .png files, your choice.

Here's the final problem however. You don't get the UV maps. This means that your textures won't be useable unless you unwrap the meshes. This is no easy work, since there's no easy way of knowing where the original seams were as far as I know.

So... Extracting the meshes and the textures is possible. With a bit of tweaking, you can get to fix the model scale, making it look good. However, you'd then need to rig the model, turning it into a regular T-posed one, which is doable if you take your time and know what you are doing (I know I could do a decent enough job, should I find it necessary and get motivated), but the UV Map is where I can't do much. It would simply take way too much work and time to reverse engineer the textures. I don't know if there's a way to get that information out of a model, but unless I find a way, this is all I can do. Sorry to disappoint.

At the point I am, the only 100% functional stuff I can do with this tool is extract better resolution textures for already existing, UV mapped models, extract meshes to mod an existing model (some hair, hats, uniforms and other easy to UV Map things), but that's it. It seems our only viable hope is to wait for a .FORGE unpacker.

As a side note, interestingly enough, with this tool I can't extract stuff I can't see. So, for example, I can't extract Dokkaebi's "Shutter Shade" Legendary Headgear, unless I find a Dokkaebi in game with that skin or I get it on an Alpha Pack. Which is a boomer, since I got into this in order to get that headgear alone.

Also. I downloaded the UHD pack for the textures, to see if I could get some 4K textures, but the only ones I could find were weapons and some normal maps (heads, specifically, which seem to be different from the regular head normal maps), apart from those, as far as I could see, character textures where at 2048 max.

Anyway. Enjoy an untextured, unrigged Aruni.

https://imgur.com/a/BlnGGVP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WolfAndRaven on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aajax
ultra-n00b

Post by aajax »

I tried ripping them as well. Maybe we could help each other with this. I tried it with renderdoc, it didn't work for me. I don't know much about 3d. I started learning it recently. I also tried to contact Luxox and floxay who were able to rip some models. None of them answered me. I really want to get those models but everyone who knows something or who has them is less than uncooperative. I hoped we could help each other with this.
W0lfy
beginner

Post by W0lfy »

aajax wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:10 pm I tried ripping them as well. Maybe we could help each other with this. I tried it with renderdoc, it didn't work for me. I don't know much about 3d. I started learning it recently. I also tried to contact Luxox and floxay who were able to rip some models. None of them answered me. I really want to get those models but everyone who knows something or who has them is less than uncooperative. I hoped we could help each other with this.
Luxox is so busy (full time) and he's a cool guy he can help when he's free, but Floxay surprised us in https://p3dm.ru/user/floxay/ but i send him like a chain of messages, he responded just for one message, anyway, i hope someone can make a miracle...5 years :lol:
aajax
ultra-n00b

Post by aajax »

He is the only one having the models. Why should he help me to rip them. I know that he sold some models to a guy. I hope you're right. I try to get them for so long now. I hope to get the custom skins and battle pass rewards as well. Thank you for your answer on this. I really appreciate it.
killahtree
ultra-n00b

Post by killahtree »

Anyone here have any clue as to how the hell textures files are stored? I know they are BC1, but with some random data scrambled between texels, of which I have found no way to filter out. I've been stuck on this for a couple months now and I've pulled every hair follicle off of my scalp.

You can see actual normal crap show up, but then it ends because the parsing continues through the shitty bytes. The dumps are correct, I'm 100% positive about that, but I can't parse the textures.
https://i.imgur.com/SxfRCYT.jpeg

Tushkan is gone and I don't know whom else to ask about this.

Attached are some examples, hoping someone can tell me what I'm missing. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dovahkiinbro47
ultra-n00b

Post by dovahkiinbro47 »

killahtree wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:07 am Anyone here have any clue as to how the hell textures files are stored? I know they are BC1, but with some random data scrambled between texels, of which I have found no way to filter out. I've been stuck on this for a couple months now and I've pulled every hair follicle off of my scalp.

You can see actual normal crap show up, but then it ends because the parsing continues through the shitty bytes. The dumps are correct, I'm 100% positive about that, but I can't parse the textures.

Attached are some examples, hoping someone can tell me what I'm missing. Thanks.
You can decently rip textures from the game using NinjaRipper. While meshes don't come out properly, textures are all there.
killahtree
ultra-n00b

Post by killahtree »

dovahkiinbro47 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 am
killahtree wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:07 am Anyone here have any clue as to how the hell textures files are stored? I know they are BC1, but with some random data scrambled between texels, of which I have found no way to filter out. I've been stuck on this for a couple months now and I've pulled every hair follicle off of my scalp.

You can decently rip textures from the game using NinjaRipper. While meshes don't come out properly, textures are all there.
With all due respect, that has literally nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I am extracting the forges...
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

I remember I made texture plugin for textures, and they were different. Could you attach model sample? I have my old models but don't have textures, so models I could compare.
Making model-import scripts, PM
aajax
ultra-n00b

Post by aajax »

killahtree wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:19 pm
dovahkiinbro47 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:54 am

With all due respect, that has literally nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I am extracting the forges...
Is there already a forge unpacker for R6 or are you working on it? I'm just curious.
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

No I'm not, I made something for it like a year ago, we talked with Tushkan and I gave him few tips. Though, personally I wasn't inetrested in the game, so I left everything to Tushkan!
Here's example of model import
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSNCstw ... montDeSire
texture plugin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K47_f6Z ... montDeSire
aajax
ultra-n00b

Post by aajax »

Ok I see. I hope to get a way to extract the models or at least to get them from someone. I didn't manage to rip them with known tools.
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

I checked only older client, from torrents I think it's year old. I'm almost 100% sure they changed quite a bit since then, I remember Tushkan said they are changing stuff there and there quite often.
killahtree
ultra-n00b

Post by killahtree »

zaramot wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:21 pm I remember I made texture plugin for textures, and they were different. Could you attach model sample? I have my old models but don't have textures, so models I could compare.
I haven’t looked into them much, do you know if they’re the mesh or meshshape forges?

EDIT: Here's a mesh forge.
Custard
advanced

Post by Custard »

The meshshape.forges are Havok data from what I remember, mesh.forge has the models.

All the forges got a reformat in March 2020, file headers changed. Compression and meshes should be the same though going back to when zaramot last poked his head in here.

Tushkan explained about the texture structures here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15031&start=120#p161589
He had a working texture parser that he didn't share, but it used RawTex and texconv.

He had a working model parser that he did share. No UI or executable, it was just a Python script you had to run manually but it did the job, full models with LODS and UVs, you can dig that up on his Dropbox if you're really interested. Not sure if it worked on post-March 2020 files out of the box, I haven't had the means to extract recent forges myself or I'd like to try that out.

His Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b2cuse4hp90y ... qTfja?dl=0

You'll want "export > outbreak_models.blend" because that includes the script head, but you'll also need to set up the "site-packages" in your Blender Python environment. Some extracted mesh files are also in the Dropbox to test on. You need to edit parts of the script to define the target to parse. Btw if you're a bit clueless and you're just looking for a tool where you can click some buttons and get the models you want this isn't it. No such tool exists so far.

Tushkan also had a working forge extractor, but did not share it and I'm not sure if he ever updated that one to work post March 2020. He said it wasn't hard to make that adjustment, but those format changes had interfered with it. The lack of a publicized forge extractor that worked properly with the current .forge file format in Siege was a barrier for us to be able to attempt the brute force approach with his model parser, but make no mistake, the brute force approach is rubbish. Having a tool that can extract a working model with good UVs isn't actually good enough, because what comes out of the forges is not ordered and has no useful names, so you'd be individually and laboriously processing files for hours, days, weeks to try and find the one mesh you wanted. It's not like there's just a .forge for the characters, and one for the guns. Instead consider it like there's like a hundred thousand assets thrown randomly into the forges, then you realize, it's no more reasonable than getting meshes off Intel GPA and painstakingly reconstructing the UVs and de-posing it. Without a way to search, it's a massive time investment to get anything you want. This is why Tushkan was also trying to solve the strings and dependency graphs, to be able to identify and target specific ones. That's one of the most important things we need to move forward on this. Tushkan was also trying to solve skeletons, weights, and so on, which can be nice but didn't help in him burn out on this project I guess..