Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
maryrangel
ultra-n00b

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by maryrangel »

The repacker works beautifully! Thank you!

Now I was wondering if someone could give me some help with texture modding!
I noticed the game’s high textures for body parts are DXT1 without mipmaps, and modding them work fine! (Unfortunately you can only see them if you zoom in very close to the mesh, because that’s the only time the game loads them)
On the other hand, weirdly, the game uses medium quality textures to show on the mesh at distance, and these medium textures have mipmaps.
All good up to here, they are also DXT1 and you would think they can be saved as such with auto generated mipmaps and it would work fine, but it doesn’t.
When I try to use modded medium skin textures it looks all off, I mean the texture loads in game but kinda blurry or out of place.
If only I knew how to properly save them (I did notice the modded dds texture is 1 kb off on all medium textures when I save them) or if I could at least force the game to only read the “high” textures and stop loading the medium one - thought I would see if someone here has already been through the challenge and know a fix?
I never modded WD2 so im not sure if it’s something known for the community.

Any help would be appreciated! Ps: the textures, high and medium I mentioned above are in: graphics/characters/body/body_parts/white00 (or black00 or arab00)/
Eda61
n00b

Post by Eda61 »

I think the files export very well. This is really cool. Thank you to all.

But I have a question. How can I import xbg files? I saw that some substances are called export. But there is no tool for this. My example is Blender import script.
Do you have any idea about this? How can I get the models?
deylone
ultra-n00b

Post by deylone »

Many thanks for the packer. I have managed to use the recombine option to modify config files as desired. I didn't try anything else so I won't be of much help on questions related to xbg or textures.
CobraGamer
advanced

Post by CobraGamer »

@maryangel: You can indeed force the game to load only one specific texture without its medium, high or ultra versions. You simply have to remove the affix from the file name (and keep the XBT header of the original higher quality texture), so your modified "body_white00_f_c_ultra.xbt" (or medium/high) becomes "body_white00_f_c.xbt".

Im curious though, the files you mentioned are only really interesting if you want to modify human body textures...
maryrangel
ultra-n00b

Post by maryrangel »

CobraGamer wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:31 pm @maryangel: You can indeed force the game to load only one specific texture without its medium, high or ultra versions. You simply have to remove the affix from the file name (and keep the XBT header of the original higher quality texture), so your modified "body_white00_f_c_ultra.xbt" (or medium/high) becomes "body_white00_f_c.xbt".

Im curious though, the files you mentioned are only really interesting if you want to modify human body textures...

Wow Cobra, thank you so much! Worked like charm! :]
Will be adding some cool tattoos to my team today lol
atomicool
n00b

Post by atomicool »

maryrangel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 pm
CobraGamer wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:31 pm @maryangel: You can indeed force the game to load only one specific texture without its medium, high or ultra versions. You simply have to remove the affix from the file name (and keep the XBT header of the original higher quality texture), so your modified "body_white00_f_c_ultra.xbt" (or medium/high) becomes "body_white00_f_c.xbt".

I don't think you will succeed, because this problem has existed since WD2. The point is that the MED file is specific. Currently, there is no tool to convert it, and I am looking for a solution

Look at the file header with the lowest texture, It must read both med and high files
01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maryrangel
ultra-n00b

Post by maryrangel »

atomicool wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:58 am
maryrangel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 pm

I don't think you will succeed, because this problem has existed since WD2. The point is that the MED file is specific. Currently, there is no tool to convert it, and I am looking for a solution

Look at the file header with the lowest texture, It must read both med and high files
01.png

Hey there! Thanks for the reply! Renaming the highest texture like Cobragamer said in his post did the work! But if you come up with a converter let us know!

Ps: what dds format for normals you all find has the best compatibility in game? and what plugin is best? There are some minor issues with intel bc5, and Nvidia 3dc

UPDATE:

If anyone else is having trouble with the dds for the normals, download the newer photoshop plugin at Nvidia’s website and save as bc5 ;)
Last edited by maryrangel on Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
CobraGamer
advanced

Post by CobraGamer »

@atomicool: That's the trick with the method I described. By removing those references, you can force the game to read just that one texture.
superdemus
ultra-n00b

Post by superdemus »

Speaking of textures, I don't know if anyone knows the deal with those .xbt files that shows "ZOLA" when you open those with the hex editor?

The only place I discovered where .dds files are discussed, along with "ZOLA", is another topic here at xentax about Watch Dogs 2:
viewtopic.php?t=15567&start=165

Anyhow, what I found out is that most of those files I've encountered, correspond well with BC7 DDS.
Take the logo at the back of the hoodie at the picture below for example:
london_ultra\graphics\characters\wd3\motifs\logos\brand_fydel_multi_01_ultra.xbt

When I copy the data of said .xbt file into a blank BC7 DDS file of the same format (512x512px without mipmaps in this case)...

...then it will open just fine into photoshop.

It is probably not the most efficient way to do it, but it works fine for me.

For testing purposes, I've changed the logo into an "X" before reversing the process...

...and it seems to work fine ingame.

During the reverse process I've saved the dds as BC7 8bpp Fine (sRGB, DX11+) with the intel plugin and removed "ultra" from the xbt's filename as CobraGamer suggests.
Last edited by superdemus on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
CobraGamer
advanced

Post by CobraGamer »

Nobody seems to know what exactly this ZOLA format is, might be some kind of proprietary format. One thing is for sure though, we don't have tools to convert those yet.
atomicool
n00b

Post by atomicool »

superdemus wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:48 pm Speaking of textures, I don't know if anyone knows the deal with those .xbt files that shows "ZOLA" when you open those with the hex editor?

The only place I discovered where .dds files are discussed, along with "ZOLA", is another topic here at xentax about Watch Dogs 2:
viewtopic.php?t=15567&start=165

Anyhow, what I found out is that most of those files I've encountered, correspond well with BC7 DDS.
Take the logo at the back of the hoodie at the picture below for example:
london_ultra\graphics\characters\wd3\motifs\logos\brand_fydel_multi_01_ultra.xbt

When I copy the data of said .xbt file into a blank BC7 DDS file of the same format (512x512px without mipmaps in this case)...

...then it will open just fine into photoshop.

It is probably not the most efficient way to do it, but it works fine for me.

For testing purposes, I've changed the logo into an "X" before reversing the process...

...and it seems to work fine ingame.

During the reverse process I've saved the dds as BC7 8bpp Fine (sRGB, DX11+) with the intel plugin and removed "ultra" from the xbt's filename as CobraGamer suggests.
this ZOLA is so weird,can u open it?
decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo_high.7z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superdemus
ultra-n00b

Post by superdemus »

atomicool wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:27 am this ZOLA is so weird,can u open it?
I took a quick look at your file. It seems that it also has an ultra version so I've started with that one.
When I look at the filesize then it might have rectangular dimensions with several MIP maps, my guess is 2048x1024 or 1024x2048 pixels.
That is if this .xbt contains a BC7 DDS that is. It might be a another type of DDS as well.

If it does contain MIP maps somehow, then it will complicate the matter, because I'll have to find out how many MIP maps are used before I can open it.

If you can provide me with an ingame screenshot of the mural where you think the .xbt belongs to, that might help.
superdemus
ultra-n00b

Post by superdemus »

Okay this one was trickier, but I found it!

• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 64x32px, 7 MIP maps;
• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo_med.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 256x128px, 2 MIP maps;
• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo_high.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 512x256px, no MIP maps;
• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo_ultra.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 2048x1024px, 2 MIP maps.

You can find the .dds files via the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y57ny5kkbai8n ... ds.7z?dl=0
atomicool
n00b

Post by atomicool »

superdemus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:33 pm
Okay this one was trickier, but I found it!

• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 64x32px, 7 MIP maps;
• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo_med.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 256x128px, 2 MIP maps;
• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo_high.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 512x256px, no MIP maps;
• decal_mural_village_underground_04_albedo_ultra.xbt --> 7BC DDS, 2048x1024px, 2 MIP maps.

You can find the .dds files via the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y57ny5kkbai8n ... ds.7z?dl=0
cool!how does this work?because it looks a little bit different from your example above
superdemus
ultra-n00b

Post by superdemus »

cool!how does this work?because it looks a little bit different from your example above
I'll see that I create some time to explain in in a .pdf or such. Because there's a little more to it than what I've posted earlier.