Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Mortal Kombat 11/X Animation Tool

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Mortal Kombat 11/X Animation Tool

Post by akderebur »

A tool for previewing/exporting animations from Mortal Kombat X and 11. Seems to work with a good amount of combat and voice-over animations. There is still some non-working stuff.

Johnny Nutpunch

Kitana X-Ray

Mortal Kombat X

How to use

Better watch the tutorial video to understand it. It requires the usage of multiple tools.

Video: https://youtu.be/QeljMCkRF1k

1 ) Move python scripts to Noesis plugins folder
2 ) Export the model you want with umodel (gltf)
3 ) Convert it to NUX using Noesis
4 ) Unpack animations using daemon1's MKX tools
5 ) Copy names.txt file into the unp folder
6 ) Load the NUX model in MKXAnim
7 ) Load the animation from the unp folder
8 ) Export the animated model as NUX
9 ) Preview/convert using Noesis
10) Profit!

Tool and scripts download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xgu5fus48 ... m.rar/file

daemon1's MKX tools: https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?t=851

Mortal Kombat 11

How to use
Mostly the same as the MKX tool. Umodel is replaced with daemon's tool.

1) Move python scripts to Noesis plugins folder
2) Extract models with daemon's tool. Important models are mostly in "GEAR_" files
3) Convert models to NUX using Noesis
4) Unpack the XXX file containing the animations. Mostly "_ScriptAssets" files
4.1) Dragging and dropping the XXX file on daemon's tool will unpack it and produce unp files
5) Drag and drop the unp file on MK11AnimUnpack. This will extract the animations
6 ) Load the NUX model in MK11Anim
7 ) Load the animation from the anim folder
8 ) Export the animated model as NUX
9 ) Preview/convert using Noesis

Old tutorial: https://youtu.be/KcqxbsRcUqk
Just watch like first half of it to see how to use daemon's tools and how to unpack animations. The rest is obsolete and should be done according to the new tutorial.

New tutorial: https://youtu.be/NA1c1-poZZs
You should follow this for converting from SMD/MESH.ASCII to NUX and for scene building.

Tool and unpacker download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/86pcyodn ... 1.rar/file

daemon1's MK11 tools: viewtopic.php?t=20126

Injustice 2

Same as MK11. Use this for unpacking IJ2 animations: viewtopic.php?p=169251#p169251 Also use SMD, because MESH.ASCII doesn't have bone rotations.
Last edited by akderebur on Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Mortal Kombat 11/X Animation Tool

Post by akderebur »

Mortal Kombat 11 Support

Instructions on the first post.

mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

If MK11 support is added, that means Injustice 2 is possible since is same as MK11 :)
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

mono24 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 pm If MK11 support is added, that means Injustice 2 is possible since is same as MK11 :)
Indeed. The MK11 tool also works with Injustice 2. Same procedure using daemon's tools. Just use the attached animation unpacker instead. Thanks to mono24 for samples.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarioSonicU
advanced

Post by MarioSonicU »

akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

MarioSonicU wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:36 am I wonder if support for MK9, and MKvsDC animations will work
I think the first samples were MKvsDC. The animation data doesn't seem too complex, but the header and types deviate from MKX/MK11 standard. Needs a bit of research.

Second samples were very close to MKX. Just figuring out the bone mapping should be enough.

I will try to give them a try when I have the time.
Allanoon
veteran

Post by Allanoon »

I'm having problems exporting the animated NUX files of Injustice 2, everything is fine on the program but after the export noesis won't load it properly.
EX: torso only -> load but has animation problem.
Full model: error "WARNING: Weight contains an out of range bone index. Discarding model."
Although Last error is not a problem, it was simply a comodity to have the full setup model in the viewer.

I Linked a few files if you want/can check. Thank you!

[*]http://www.mediafire.com/file/xyxb7m2jc ... el.7z/file
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

Allanoon wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:46 pm I'm having problems exporting the animated NUX files of Injustice 2
Thanks for reporting. There seems to be a bug when loading a secondary NUX. The tool will keep the bones of the first one. I will fix it for the next release. For now, just close and reopen the program after working on a NUX.

So torso works fine for me actually. But the hellboy still doesn't. Some bones are not animated. I am not sure if this has to do with unity, noesis, or these particular animations. Does hellboy work with any other animation?

Edit:
Ah shit, stupid mistake on my part. It is a miracle that the tool works as it is :D I will release an update.
Straight Edge
advanced

Post by Straight Edge »

This looks very handy! Thanks a bunch for sharing.
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

Updated the MK11 tool. Should fix a huge bug.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p0c10zq2e ... 1.rar/file
Straight Edge wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:16 pm This looks very handy! Thanks a bunch for sharing.
No problem.
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

Prop Support

I am planning to change the tool logic, to support multiple models with different animation files. It should be possible to build a more complete scene. I will add this in the next update, along with some other fixes.

Blend Shape Animation

Also got the blend shape animations working, which are used for facial animations. Of course huge credits to daemon1, for making a tool that exports morphs.

I am not sure how I will add this to the tool. Need to find a way to export blend shape animation somehow first. Also it will complicate the pipeline even more. So I am just thinking of adding it if people really think its useful.

mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

akderebur wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:10 pm...support multiple models with different animation files.
Amazing, that's what i am talking bout ;)
akderebur wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:10 pmSo I am just thinking of adding it if people really think its useful.
Yes please, all the way.
Straight Edge
advanced

Post by Straight Edge »

akderebur wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:10 pm I am not sure how I will add this to the tool. Need to find a way to export blend shape animation somehow first. Also it will complicate the pipeline even more. So I am just thinking of adding it if people really think its useful.

These look incredible! I hope you add them, they'll be a ton useful for creating animations.
mk11fan
ultra-n00b

Post by mk11fan »

This is awesome. Great work akderebur.

Any chance to load textures to the animations too?

Also (a bit off-topic) but do you know how to extract the unreadable data from the MKO files of MK11?
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

mk11fan wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:37 am Any chance to load textures to the animations too?
Über Winfrey was kind enough to share his MK shader, so I was playing around with textures a bit. Still, it requires some manual color input. Need to find a way to associate it with the color palette automatically. I will try to do some more research when I have the time.
mk11fan wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:37 am how to extract the unreadable data from the MKO files of MK11?
No idea. I haven't checked those files.