Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) *.bnm Animations

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
TrumpetPro
advanced

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) *.bnm Animations

Post by TrumpetPro »

Hey guys! I was wondering if someone here would be willing to take a look at the Revenge of the Sith game's animation format, BNM from the Xbox version of the game - these would be extremely useful if they could be converted into a more common format such as smd. I'm certainly no expert on the subject of reverse-engineering which is why I'm making the request, but a quick glance at it in a hex editor shows some pretty clear recurring patterns - the files are only ~5kb each as well.
I've got a handful of samples here from four different characters, let me know if you need anything else: https://mega.nz/file/8Kw3mBbI#J7JM_xKiH ... iMNxyN0BxA

Thanks,
TrumpetPro
TrumpetPro
advanced

Re: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) *.bnm Animations

Post by TrumpetPro »

Here's some information on the mesh/skeleton format:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22200

and here's a rigged example mesh: https://mega.nz/file/5HhRyBIQ#ZCGn5PNog ... DKSfH5MnkQ

Those will likely be useful in figuring out bone names and/or hierarchy.
SolarisBravo
ultra-n00b

Post by SolarisBravo »

Bump
TrumpetPro
advanced

Post by TrumpetPro »

Bump
TrumpetPro
advanced

Post by TrumpetPro »

Bump
firblind
n00b

Post by firblind »

Although I have no use for this format myself, I'd love to see the animations in a non-game setting, so BUMP
And sorry for replying with no result.
TrumpetPro
advanced

Post by TrumpetPro »

Bump
Bigchillghost
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Bigchillghost »

TrumpetPro wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:46 amBump
You guys never get tired, do you?

Normally I'd consider the best chance you can get is the assistance from the one who started the research in the first place, given that there's no indication that someone with the skills shares common interests with you, and who have the skills see no fun in taking over other people's work. Looking over the 2nd post in this topic, I saw there's reference to my posts. But you never ever thank the author for his efforts, not even a verbal one. The message I received from that post is almost like: hey we've got a dude figured out the mesh & skeleton format, but he's refused to support the animations, any volunteers want to finish the job? That's not what a decent person would do.

You might want to think about how to motivate others to help.

Just a few thoughts. I won't bother to argue that you're wasting forum resources, so good luck with the bump, and those to be continue.
May you find peace in this puzzle-solving game. Say it with action: click the Image when you get helped.:)
TrumpetPro
advanced

Post by TrumpetPro »

Bigchillghost wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:02 am You guys never get tired, do you?

Normally I'd consider the best chance you can get is the assistance from the one who started the research in the first place, given that there's no indication that someone with the skills shares common interests with you, and who have the skills see no fun in taking over other people's work. Looking over the 2nd post in this topic, I saw there's reference to my posts. But you never ever thank the author for his efforts, not even a verbal one. The message I received from that post is almost like: hey we've got a dude figured out the mesh & skeleton format, but he's refused to support the animations, any volunteers want to finish the job? That's not what a decent person would do.

You might want to think about how to motivate others to help.

Just a few thoughts. I won't bother to argue that you're wasting forum resources, so good luck with the bump, and those to be continue.
Sorry about that - I am very grateful for your work but considered this a separate topic with the model thread being linked only as reference for newcomers without any prior knowledge on the game's formats. I would never view it as anything like a refusal - I know full well that the vast majority of games never have their animations explored due to their sheer complexity and the overall lack of learning resources. As for "motivating others to help", that's exactly what I don't want to do - if someone isn't immediately interested by the subject I'm never going to badger them to volunteer.

Tldr; I very much appreciate your work on the models but I never like to create undue pressure by asking specific people for help - doing so would create an implication that I expect help, and I never want to push any further than public request