Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

ACViewer: Assassin's Creed games viewer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
forgeMaster
beginner

ACViewer: Assassin's Creed games viewer

Post by forgeMaster »

This is a little thing I started working on years ago, around the time of AC2 Revelations and AC3. Over the years I added support for more recent games, sometimes breaking older games in the process.
I the last couple years I went back this project, with the idea of a more general release. Things are not as good as I wanted them to be, but it's good enough for a first release.

Supports all main AC games from the original to Odyssey, with the exception of 3HD and Liberation HD (mostly because I didn't look into them yet). PC only version (although some xbox360 work was done, but the mesh will not load properly yet).
Most maps should load, with the caveat that Origins and Odyssey are very taxing to load/display, and will be missing the ground. Of course, not everything will work properly, the lighting is broken, and a lot of materials are slightly wrong/missing. This is a work in progress.

I've removed a few broken/incomplete features to not confuse people, so this should be a considered a preview version of what the tool can do. Some features that were removed for now is the ability to look at characters (was functional in AC3, but got broken since), animations (also worked on AC3), data properties, stuff like gameplay entities,...

[Update 5/17/2023]:
Much has changed since this post was made.
For latest version and link to discord:
https://github.com/forge-master/ACViewer/wiki
Last edited by forgeMaster on Wed May 17, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
forgeMaster
beginner

Re: ACViewer 0.1: Assassin's Creed games map viewer

Post by forgeMaster »

acviewer4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

acviewer2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

A very ambitious project, thank you for sharing.
To those of you wanting to try this, make sure you have plenty of RAM as it eats up lots of it, trying on ACUnity it filled up my 24GB of ram in less than 35 seconds, i wonder if possible to use the GPU as an acceleration hardware for loading/preview and all, if that makes sense.
I got very excited seeing this type of project, hoping in the future we can actually export full maps as in-game.
Also on my end, just trying to navigate is not easy, and as soon as i try to zoom out even as little as possible, all goes light dray and nothing else is shown even after long minutes of waiting, so i have to kill the process and start over.

WIP or not this is still amazing, looking forward to try new features if and when they become available if planned, thank you once again.
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

Camera speed is controlled by mouse-wheel, but isn't capped. So it can happened that move speed gets very large and you end up lost in the map. I will look at capping the speed properly. When that happen, you can use the menu World>Transition portals to choose a portal and teleport the camera back there (this is player spawn points). No need to reload the map.
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

Also forgot to say, camera controls are AWSD, and mouse right click for orientation
fullinu
advanced

Post by fullinu »

I love you :D
Great project, sadly I don't have 24 GB of memory to view big map in AC Unity, but medieval map loaded fine.
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

I have on-going memory optimizations that should reduce the memory footprint, but that's going to take a bit of time. But for now, Unity or later game are definitively pretty expensive on large maps.
I should have an update later today or tomorrow fixing AC Rogue and Syndicate that broke at some point in recent changes, as well as texture improvements.
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

Some of the interesting maps in ACU includes the Prologue, Rebirth Ritual (I used that map a lot for early ACU implementations). The maps labelled LGS are a bit less interesting in my opinion.
For Rebirth Ritual, make sure you enable all the data layers in World>Data Layers as part of the maps are loaded as extra layers on top of the base map.
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

Really need to get the lighting back into a functional state
ACU.jpg
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

ACU2.jpg
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

This looks so good and so tempting, but we cant use any of it, for, literally anything at all, no export no nothing, sadly, but please continue to work on it for what ever purpose it may be, curious to see what that is moving forward.
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

Exporing meshes would not be a giant issue. But exporting a complete city would be tricky. I don't think blender or any other program would load the full high poly map of say Greece
forgeMaster
beginner

Post by forgeMaster »

I think the best I could do would be to make ue4 plugin and import the maps inside of UE4. But not even sure it would be able to cope with it nicely. But might be worth a try.
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

Everything would export/import by sectors/areas/zones or what ever the game has, not all at once in one giant file, that's not productive obviously.
The map can then be easily worked on by its sections in your desired 3D Editor or even in a game engine. ;)
The ONLY main thing would be to make sure we are able to export/import in their in-game coordinates, every single asset.
Quite a few of us are interested in this and the AC games, because as you've noticed by now, i assume, many tools have surfaced, yet neither have been ever finished or actually usable in any proper way.