Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal gear Solid 3 file extraction (getting soemwhere!!)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Metal gear Solid 3 file extraction (getting soemwhere!!)

Post by lionheartuk »

I am not going to post a PART file JUST YET as I would rather know if anyone has any interest in this game whatsoever.
Its a PS2 game (a WHOLE new ball game lol).
I know that Turfster is busy with Solidus (the tool for MGS2 PC) so i dont really think he will want to try this.
Of course if ANYONE (even Turfster) is interested in this in ANY WAY then PLEASE post here.
i will put up a part file soon enough.
Its just that each .DAT file is about 500 meg or above, I know that if there was a tool to EXTRACT these little archieves from it (if there ARE any that is) then il be able to attach them MUCH easier, if not I can EVEN put them on Megaupload or something of that sort.

PLEASE someone SUPPORT this request.
I know its asking a lot but then again whats the meaning of Programming if it isnt to find a Barrier and Calculate your way through it.
That in MY opinion/KNOWLEGE of Programming is the KEY to a Great programmer, one who wishes to overcome the obsticle.
Thankyou
Last edited by lionheartuk on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

I know it may be a little EARLY for this but I thought it would be ok to BUMP this topic.
Well its not JUST that another thing is that I have used filecutter to cut the file down for you.
This way anyone can see the file, as i am unsure how many of you actually OWN this game like me.
The following attached file is from STAGE.DAT on the MGS3 PS2 DVD.
I am asking here as I have looked ENDLESSLY at this file and the others
from the game, i am unable to make ANYTHING from it, I cant even figure out the GRAIS of the file, its just random bytes as far as I can see, I have only once or 2x been able to make asingle word out, things like DAR, QAR and XSI(the program used to MAKE the game).
Please if someone can make any progress with this then i might be able to continue on into something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Re: Metal gear SOlid 3 Snake Eater.

Post by TheDyingInformant »

lionheartuk wrote:I am not going to post a PART file JUST YET as I would rather know if anyone has any interest in this game whatsoever.
YES!!! :P I have a huge huge interest to get the character models, textures, and voice work from this game. And animations, if possible.

But that doesn't mean I have any knowledge of any sort of how to do it (if thats what you meant by interest). It's really a different format than MGS2? That's interesting.... Well maybe we can hack into it one day. You know, give it three years and we'll see. :roll: Heh, but yeah, I guess don't hold your breath, but the main point is NEVER GIVE UP on this because you may never know! :)

That would really be great if anyone is willing to give it a look at some point. As he says, if you really want to sharpen your hacking skillz, this is really a challenge to take on. And unlike the support yet seen on here, I know there would be MANY fans who would appreciate this. Probably more than for PC Substance because not many actually own the PC version - STILL I REALLY appreciate the work being done in that thread (thank you Turfster!).

I'm The Dying Informant, and I approve this thread. :up:
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Metal gear SOlid 3 Snake Eater.

Post by lionheartuk »

he he.
Been waintg for you to post here actually.
Well last night me and another Certain Xentax figure looked into the MGS3 Stage.dat.
We discovered that its encrypted (NO surprise there eh), but were tryignt o find our way around it.
I managed to extract 2 files from CODEC.DAT but so far i have NO IDEA what they are.
Working Hard on any type of Audio Extraction from BGM.DAT, it seems asthough they may be using their OWN Audio Format (unless its some WHACKED encryption again).
Well i just installed Visual Studio 6.0 so that I can give my good friend a helping hand, I want to improve a few tihngs in the Program before its next release, tho I have no idea WHEN that'l be but were workign hard ot try and make it support MGS3 files or any sort, so far the scanner is picking up nothing from the files.
Tho so far i have only tested BGM.DAT and CODEC.DAT, its hard to upload the files from this game as their all liek 1 GIG and over.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

PROGRESSSS!

Post by lionheartuk »

after much hard work me and Strobe mangaged to EXTRACT Audio from MGS3 VOX.DAT.
I ownt take really ANY of the credit as 60% was strobe, I still need to find out a few more things before i can do much with the tool.

We have spoken about the release of the tool, as its currently and add on to His tool for MULTIPLE games, so until we are able to crack STAGE.DAT or BGM.DAT were not going to release the tool here.

Tho i hope that in the future we can export the info to a seperate tool just for MGS3.
Much like Turfster did with MGS3 we/I would like to do with this tool.
Eva, is that a good name?
anyways here is a bit of extrcted SPEACH.
I believe its major tom near the start of the games 1st section.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IPB0OVV8
Sorry its too big to upload here, not to mention its not a supported file type lol
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

UPDATE:
I seem to be the ONLY person who actually cares abotut his game and its file.
Oh well it doesnt matter.
Ok now I have some PROOF of how the games models and stuff were made.
Sound mixing and stuff aswell.
Here look at this i hope it helps.
these are in SOFTIMAGE XSI, i believe it was also used for MGS2 and the twin snakes.
Savage
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Savage »

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

This helps?
Wha.. sory i dont understand.
But yeah i actually forgot to post the link to the Softimage Website.
Realyl should have.
Tho i havent really gotten very far at all with this game, its some some WHACKED encryption method, im pretty sure there even using their OWN formats for everything, well except VAG audio.

I mean that i hope it helps get SOMEONE interested in this topic, someone else who may be tryingt o do the same thing.
As I know that the Dying Informant wants to do soemthing with MGS3, but im not sure EXACTLY what she wants from it.
So im currently unsure on exactly what i should work on with this tool.

So far im DEFFINATLY (if i can crack it propperly) goingt o do the following

- Speach extraction (well this is like 70% done just needs a bit of a fixer upper)

- Textures (Both character,background and screens ie: titlescreen ect.

- 3D model extraction

- Music extraction

- Animations

- MOVIE extraction (I have managed to view a few bits and have detected more, but i only managed to find 4 seconds worth lol, ut i know its from a 5 minute cutscene)
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Oh YAY! I really wanted the voice work too! :eek: :D

I don't have a need for it right NOW, but I can say, PSound has very limited ability to extract from MGS3 - MOST if not ALL files need fixing first, alot are even cut off, and some stuff I have been able to just record from my video capture card, but it doesn't work out too well, as all through all MGS3 there are ALWAYS background sounds in the codec and ofcourse cutscenes (and music). If I could get some PURE dialog, that would be awesome. Keep me posted. But I dont think I have much free space right now, so I won't be grabbing the audio just yet. I wanna focus on models and textures right now. But I'm really glad you have some audio pulled out!

Too bad the other stuff is MUCH HARDER to access? they are very very clever with encrypting MGS. They just don't want anyone to have access to it.

Well, ever since you totally TEASED me with those very Big Boss model images there, I have been hoping to get that model for real, lol. Why didn't I clue into the Japanese text all over the image? :roll:

But who knows, it may be more of a headacke to understand than the MGS2 models, AND we don't even have ALL of them as I explained in that MGS2 topic.

Sounds great though! Keep me posted. Just don't respond too MUCH on your own. I don't know if they'd ban you for that or lock the topic. hehehe.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TheDyingInformant wrote: Well, ever since you totally TEASED me with those very Big Boss model images there, I have been hoping to get that model for real, lol. Why didn't I clue into the Japanese text all over the image? :roll:
Actualy if it was on MY PC itd be in JAP anyways lol.
Its only some stuff by the programmer jsut exaplaining the advantage of that particular feature in XSI.
yeah there for TEASING lol, tho also to explain my point.
But the MGS3 models are most likely NOT same as MGS2 sorry.
but if they are ul be 1st on my list to know lol.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Seems to me you'd need to reverse engineer the executable to be able to see what encryption they use for the stage.dat. This Russian named Sly, who' s lurking these boards might be of help to you. With just the snippets you uploaded there's not much to go on.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Mr.Mouse wrote:Seems to me you'd need to reverse engineer the executable to be able to see what encryption they use for the stage.dat. This Russian named Sly, who' s lurking these boards might be of help to you. With just the snippets you uploaded there's not much to go on.
sly huh.Hmmm.
Never heard of him, but il look into it soon as i finish this message.
Yeah id like to UPLOAD the FULL file btu its damn near 800 MEG if not a GIG and thatl take a while.
I guess I can always make a torrent for that 1 file and others u lot may need.
(thats allowed right?, cos its MY file that IM sharing cos I purchased it, its just easier ot share through that).
TheDyingInformant
veteran

And btw, Lionheart, if you are able to extract from Vox.dat on MGS3, does that mean its possible to also do so for MGS2? That can be an upgrade you can help with for Solidus :) .
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

TheDyingInformant wrote:And btw, Lionheart, if you are able to extract from Vox.dat on MGS3, does that mean its possible to also do so for MGS2? That can be an upgrade you can help with for Solidus :) .
I can TRY and use UVAG to extract the audio form VOX.DAT yes.
I dont see why not, were you able to PLAY the last file i put up?
Its Sony VAG audio.
Im using Vistual Studio Now, ad with some Helping tips from Strobe, i seem to be understanding MORE AND MORE when it comes to files.
You may need to UPLOAD the VOX.DAT for me tho, as i dont have it.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

I now understand A LOT more Hex and file hackign then i did when I 1ST started this Topic but still I cant seem to get past this CRAZY ASS encryption method.

I have even looked at the ELF files that CAME in the games folder.

- ELF is PS2 format for .EXE

But even after looking at the ELF fiels i STILL have NO IDEA how the Encryption for the STAGE.DAT file works.
IF ANYONE can PLEASE look at the .ELF files and figure out how to CRACK the Encryption (Reverse Engineering i Hear) then il or soemone else wil be abelt o make a tool, but we cant get NOTHING from the file till then i dont think.