Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

The Last of Us 2

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Re: The Last of Us 2

Post by daemon1 »

ExactExtract wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:56 am would someone mind uploading and pm'ing an SMD animation?
I'd like to see how they come out on my character rig.
All animations in the game already contain fully recorded IK tracks for legs and arms at least.
ExactExtract
beginner

Post by ExactExtract »

daemon1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:05 pm
ExactExtract wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:56 am would someone mind uploading and pm'ing an SMD animation?
I'd like to see how they come out on my character rig.
All animations in the game already contain fully recorded IK tracks for legs and arms at least.
Not sure if that reply was for me, but same request as my original post if any one would be so kind.
Phoksees
ultra-n00b

Post by Phoksees »

I second this, I see a folder with SMD animation but unfortunately due to my unfamiliarity with SMD's.
I haven't been able to use the animations. I can't view them in the timeline, I don't know how to see them in motion.
Any help would be great thanks.
kotn3l
veteran

Post by kotn3l »

Phoksees wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:23 am I second this, I see a folder with SMD animation but unfortunately due to my unfamiliarity with SMD's.
I haven't been able to use the animations. I can't view them in the timeline, I don't know how to see them in motion.
Any help would be great thanks.
I got them working in Unreal Engine, it supports retargeting:
1, fixing the main skeleton mesh you want to use it for. For example I extract Ellie in parts with full skeleton: I have to assemble every part and then reparent some bones. (A lot, depends on the outfit) > import the sekeltal mesh into UE. (The retargeting happens by bone name so make sure you don't mess them up)
2, Extract the animation you want to FBX with Noesis
3, Import the animation into UE, paying attention to the skeleton setting when you import: you need to select the the skeleton of the mesh you imported earlier, this is an important step: this is when the retargeting happens.
4, Done! If you successfully reparented and fixed the main skeleton, it should work. (All the helper bones need to be parented to their own non-helper ones: spine_a, then spine_a_helper.)
https://i.imgur.com/zp6ZjPm.png

Daemon, wouldn't it be possible to extract bones as they should be? I mean without reparenting every time? What's causing this issue?

Also, has anyone extracted bnk files from tlou2? I could easily extract the xvag ones to wav, but not bnk.
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

kotn3l wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:19 pm Daemon, wouldn't it be possible to extract bones as they should be?
Bones are extracted as they are in game files.
Helper bones are originally parented to other helper bones, and the whole helper set is then driven by famous naughty dog physics system.

There is an option in the tool to reparent them based on bone names, but this is incorrect way and thus not supported option. I dont guarantee that it will work any good so use this on your own risk. To do this, run the tool with skel PAK file with "/r" switch. For example, "tlou2 /r ellie-skel.pak"
Phoksees
ultra-n00b

Post by Phoksees »

To kotn3l, you are doing some fine work. I can't believe you pulled it into UE4.
I have been trying to re-rig using Blender but the results are awful at best due to auto weight painting issues.
I know its a long shot but if you ever do a step by step tutorial, I will happily watch, read or listen. Thanks

Also thanks daemon1, you guys are wizards.
kotn3l
veteran

Post by kotn3l »

daemon1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:51 pm
kotn3l wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:19 pm Daemon, wouldn't it be possible to extract bones as they should be?
Bones are extracted as they are in game files.
Helper bones are originally parented to other helper bones, and the whole helper set is then driven by famous naughty dog physics system.

There is an option in the tool to reparent them based on bone names, but this is incorrect way and thus not supported option. I dont guarantee that it will work any good so use this on your own risk. To do this, run the tool with skel PAK file with "/r" switch. For example, "tlou2 /r ellie-skel.pak"
Makes sense, I'll try it, thank you.
Phoksees wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:35 pm To kotn3l, you are doing some fine work. I can't believe you pulled it into UE4.
I have been trying to re-rig using Blender but the results are awful at best due to auto weight painting issues.
I know its a long shot but if you ever do a step by step tutorial, I will happily watch, read or listen. Thanks

Also thanks daemon1, you guys are wizards.
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out everything.
Basically what I did is copy all the same parts that use the same skeleton into 1 SMD file.
For instance I chose ellie-head.smd, then copy the rest of her body (pants/boots, arms, bracelet) in there. Only copy starting from triangles, and make sure there is an "end" at the end of each mesh you copied.
NOTE: for example the seattle day 2 jacket takes the jacket skeletons, and not ellie skeleton. Make sure you don't copy files like these. (You can guess if you check the file and compare it to Ellie skeleton. Like a jacket could be referencing bone 123 which for example would be Ellie eyelash bone. Then you know for sure that it won't be using Ellie skeleton, but another one.) Same goes for her hair (? Some of her hair..., maybe only the strand hair), backpack, basically everything that uses physics in-game.

Import this into Blender, also select the correct Up axis, so Ellie is imported in correctly. (not facing downwards or etc) Then reparent each helper bone. If you did this correctly, you can move EVERY bone (fingers, even face bones) in her body without it getting messed up. !!!This is important!!!

Import other accessories (backpack): Reparent those bones into main Ellie skeleton: reparent its root to Ellie's root, then go by the bone names again, just like the helper bones. This is important again if you want them to work correctly. If you can't find any correct bone name to parent it into, just try seeing where the bone is weighted to the mesh and try to guess.

To other objects that rely only on physics (strand hair, jacket, etc): Reparent those bones into main Ellie skeleton: reparent its root to Ellie's root, but then, you have to check each simulation bone and group them where they're modifying the mesh. For instance if 20 simulation bones move the right arm of the jacket, parent them into Ellie R shoulder. Unfortunately there is no other way, but to check bones 1 by 1. Thankfully, they're groupped together so they're not in random order, so there's that. https://i.imgur.com/7CvRurl.png

Then if you got everything, export this into FBX, then open in UE. :)
Phoksees
ultra-n00b

Post by Phoksees »

Alright kotn3l, I'll give it a go later after I try the auto rigging method first because I had some decent results around the face.

My goal is to export the FBX to UE4 for full VR motion tracking. Thanks again and I hope I can come to you for more advice if necessary.

Btw are you using both Blender and Cinema4D?
kotn3l
veteran

Post by kotn3l »

Phoksees wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:42 pm Alright kotn3l, I'll give it a go later after I try the auto rigging method first because I had some decent results around the face.

My goal is to export the FBX to UE4 for full VR motion tracking. Thanks again and I hope I can come to you for more advice if necessary.

Btw are you using both Blender and Cinema4D?
I don't like Blender, I only used it to convert the SMD to FBX. Although I had some problems with it, but reexporting it into UE the mesh problems disappeared. (I use C4D for reparenting the bones cause it's just drag and drop.)
lukaslarry
ultra-n00b

Post by lukaslarry »

Nice thank you
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

Tool updated.

With this new version you can now fully export world-watchtower-dict.pak which has 6 textures with very long names. To do this, be sure to export in the root of the drive or a very short folder name (like "C:\T2")

Note that there are 2 special switches for skeleton export:
/r - reparent helper bones. Helper bones are originally parented to other helper bones, and the whole helper set is then driven by famous naughty dog physics system. This option reparents them based on bone names, so this is incorrect way and thus not supported option. I dont guarantee that it will work any good so use this on your own risk.
/rs - only extract skeletons, and skip all other assets in PAK file, which is useful for skeleton preparing before anim conversion. Its called "rs" because it scans for skeletons, but also reparents helpers.

Examples:
tlou2 some-skel.pak /r
tlou2 some-skel.pak /rs
FoxyPaws
ultra-n00b

Post by FoxyPaws »

Can't wait for the moment we can ' easily ' extract the scenes. :] For now it's hard but... thanks a lot, lot for the tool & works you put in !
kotn3l
veteran

Post by kotn3l »

daemon1 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am Tool updated.

With this new version you can now fully export world-watchtower-dict.pak which has 6 textures with very long names. To do this, be sure to export in the root of the drive or a very short folder name (like "C:\T2")

Note that there are 2 special switches for skeleton export:
/r - reparent helper bones. Helper bones are originally parented to other helper bones, and the whole helper set is then driven by famous naughty dog physics system. This option reparents them based on bone names, so this is incorrect way and thus not supported option. I dont guarantee that it will work any good so use this on your own risk.
/rs - only extract skeletons, and skip all other assets in PAK file, which is useful for skeleton preparing before anim conversion. Its called "rs" because it scans for skeletons, but also reparents helpers.

Examples:
tlou2 some-skel.pak /r
tlou2 some-skel.pak /rs
Thank you!

I have a problem using the /r thing with skeletons. Pics below. I have two ideas what could be causing this:
1, Most models are in different paks, like the meshes and the skeleton. Now, if I extract the skeleton with the /r, and paste it into the mesh and open it, some weights are referencing completely different bones. Could this be an issue? (I extracted the mesh with the /r switch as well)
2, The bones look like if they've all been moved to 0,0 and not moving the mesh as they should.

otherwise the reparenting would be flawless, I hope this can be fixed!

https://imgur.com/SSocKTw

The pelvis bone should be rotating it from the pelvis, and not from her feet. :?: (all bones are in the same positzion. no matter which one i select, the weights are okay though, bone positions nope, looks like they are all in the root position)
daemon1
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN

Post by daemon1 »

kotn3l wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:55 pm Pics below. I have two ideas what could be causing this:
There's nothing to fix, everything is working fine. Both your ideas are wrong.
I can't help you unless you tell exactly what you did.
kotn3l
veteran

Post by kotn3l »

daemon1 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:13 am
kotn3l wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:55 pm Pics below. I have two ideas what could be causing this:
There's nothing to fix, everything is working fine. Both your ideas are wrong.
I can't help you unless you tell exactly what you did.
So if I use the /r switch, the bones are reparented as they should be, but they will all be moved to the root location. See pics in above post. For example I rotated the pelvis bone, and it got rotated from her feet, and not from the pelvis itself, or even looks like not all the feet bones have been rotated with the pelvis. Without the /r switch the bones are working as they should (except the helper ones obviously)

What I did is: extract the skeleton and model with the /r switch. Copy the skeleton.smd into let's say a corresponding body model. (The nodes) Now if you open the smd file in blender and try rotating the pelvis, or any other bone, it is wrong. See pics in above post again.

Hope it makes more sense.

(If I manually reparent the helper bones this issue is not present.)