Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Universal ASCII Replacer.

Coders and would-be coders alike, this is the place to talk about programming.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Dinoguy1000 wrote: Well, hey, I didn't know that tidbit of you being fluent in Japanese... What I was talking about was, say, writing a program that does the translation itself. I wasn't trying to treat you as a n00b or anything of the sort, that's not my style, and if I rubbed you the wrong way, accidentally or otherwise, you have my sincerest apology. And in any case, I would much rather make myself look like a n00b than treat someone else like one.

As for string length, if strings are padded with nulls, you will of course come to the fortunate circumstances where the translated string is shorter than the original, in which case you an just pad with nuls the rest of the way. Unfortunately, this is just as often as not NOT the case, in that event you would want to find the structure of the file format.
lol do not worry, I understand EXACTLY what oyu mean, and yes i agree that string LENGTH will be the most difficult part, cos for instand the japanese word for YOU is only 1 kanji but in engilsh its 3 characters Y.O.U, so this will prove to be quite a difficult task tbh lol.
No do not worry i didn not take your comment the wrong way lol, sorry if i came across as angry lol.
Yes if only ALL games were LOADS OF ENDLESS NUL's, that way i can make the string longer, tho that may only work for certain things, I doubt that ext boxes with be filled with NUL's so I may be screwed there lol.
Rahly
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Rahly »

even more difficult, that a lot of games don't use unicode at all, and in that sense, you CAN'T add jap. Now some games do use the locale, but then the user would have to set the code page of their system before its readable. Most games in other languges do NOT use unicode, but a bastardized code page that supports their language. Most apps also do not handle UTF8, so i doubt you'd be able to encode one and place it in there. And you have to have specific support for UFT16 which OSes use by default. Games have to have support for this or you'll just have limited Latin character set support.
"By nature men are alike. Through practice they have become far apart." Confucius (Analect 17:2)
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Rahly wrote:even more difficult, that a lot of games don't use unicode at all, and in that sense, you CAN'T add jap. Now some games do use the locale, but then the user would have to set the code page of their system before its readable. Most games in other languges do NOT use unicode, but a bastardized code page that supports their language. Most apps also do not handle UTF8, so i doubt you'd be able to encode one and place it in there. And you have to have specific support for UFT16 which OSes use by default. Games have to have support for this or you'll just have limited Latin character set support.
Yeah lol.
Thatl prove difficult to overcome.
Tho a LOT of games are fan translated, wonder how they all do it lol.
I once had a nice tool for NES/SNES/meGA DRIVE (Genesis) games.
Tho its possible ot make MOST programs support japane fonts, just simply install the japanese language pack and set it so that unicode language suppot is added ot other programs that wont normally support it.
Tho i must admit that it didnt work to well with certain programs, so i had to turn it off lol.
Still have ot use media player Clasic to play most of my movies as the folder names are in japanese and most players just dont even open the files, not even VLC lol.