Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post by RandomTBush »

frostbone25 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 pm
RandomTBush wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:09 pm
thongTk wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 pmIs the script for the definitive edition still being worked on?
Yeah, I still have plans to work on that.
Hey @RandomTBush , I wanted to notify you the best I can (as a fellow programmer, but not in MaxScript though but I'll do my best) about an issue I stumbled upon when I wanted to import a mesh that is specific to the definitive edition (specifically the menu scene, with Clementine's house which I wanted to extract and prep for others to use just for fun). I'm aware you have plans on updating the script to work properly on definitive edition but you haven't posted any updates in a while.

Anyways, when importing a definitive edition specific mesh It seems like the script is struggling to parse the vertex buffer information from the d3dmesh file. At line 16437 in the script, specifically in 'Section 11C' (good thing you marked it because your script is awfully long), when it enters the switch statement 'MeshFlag1' it fails to hit any of the cases and defaults to your throw statement and of course the rest of the script is unable to proceed then since its unable to parse and set any values regarding the vertex buffer. My guess would be that in the definitive edition, the "MeshFlag1" values you are trying to parse have changed and it's unable to meet any of the cases, or the order in which the file is structured has changed where the data is and its unable to parse it then. I'm currently looking into it the best I can with my prior knowledge and seeing if I can solve it, and if I do ill be sure to let you know, but I wanted to let you know with as much info as I can provide about the issue so that you yourself can find it easily and solve it. Thank you!
frostbone25 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 pmNote: I was able to get the meshes to import by getting rid of the 'throw' exceptions just by commenting them out just to see if the script would be able to import the mesh at all. It worked of course, but that was only a 'bandaid' on the issue and the meshes UV maps unfortunately are messed up, still looking into it though.
Hooray for sloppy coding! I'll be sure to address this properly when I finally get time to work on the script again. Hopefully next month, if things don't go downhill again.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Just wondering, did the model scale change between versions? I tend to go with scale 1 for some reason (I dunno) and adjust it in the program I use later, the old version used to be at my scale at 127.55, but the new version doesnt reach that until 3227.55

Also, how do I turn these textures "normal" ?

RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 pmJust wondering, did the model scale change between versions? I tend to go with scale 1 for some reason (I dunno) and adjust it in the program I use later, the old version used to be at my scale at 127.55, but the new version doesnt reach that until 3227.55

Also, how do I turn these textures "normal" ?

*image*
I don't think so, only thing I did was add a modifier and set it to 100 times scale (or "100.0") by default since they're difficult to work with in their original sizing. Other than that, it's likely caused by Max's unit scale having been changed at some point.

As for the textures, there's some kind of material blending going in there involving the red/green/blue channels. I'm not exactly sure what would need to be done to get those looking correct, but perhaps I can do some more thorough investigation into material properties later.

Anyway, me being the lazy slob that I am, instead of actually scripting stuff I decided to go back and improve upon the bone name hashes list instead. In the past few days I've added a whopping 5,649 more names (for comparison, the original list has 6,253), bringing it up to 11,902! Now most TWD Final Season characters for instance are only missing 4 bone names (one left/right pair for face bones, one left/right pair for hands). Whoo, progress! Finally!
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 pm
Tydeus wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 pmJust wondering
I don't think so, only thing I did was add a modifier and set it to 100 times scale (or "100.0") by default since they're difficult to work with in their original sizing. Other than that, it's likely caused by Max's unit scale having been changed at some point.
Ah, it's probably down to the FBX measurement thing, it's currently on inches, I dont remember if I used anything else.
RandomTBush wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 pmAnyway, me being the lazy slob that I am, instead of actually scripting stuff I decided to go back and improve upon the bone name hashes list instead.
Thats awesome! Although that would mean redoing all of the telltale models I have lol

I've been meaning to redo season 1 and 2 anyway
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:23 pm
RandomTBush wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:32 pmAnyway, me being the lazy slob that I am, instead of actually scripting stuff I decided to go back and improve upon the bone name hashes list instead.
Thats awesome! Although that would mean redoing all of the telltale models I have lol

I've been meaning to redo season 1 and 2 anyway
If you want the proper bone names for everything, perhaps. :P

Thankfully there aren't a whole lot of characters left in Season 1/2 that are missing bone names now, I'll see about finding the rest of those in due time (there's about 30 left in S1 and 26 in S2, with most of those belonging to the zombies' faces). In the meantime, if you want to see some of the work I've done already regarding the bone names, you can replace the BoneNames.HashDB file with this one: https://mega.nz/file/78I2kagK#wfwFAt8g9 ... qOBxS4h6yQ .

(EDIT: Found the two hand bones -- "wristAttach_L" and "wristAttach_R"! I've updated the hash list with the new names, plus a few others.)
Last edited by RandomTBush on Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:18 pmIf you want the proper bone names for everything, perhaps. :P
thanks dude :D how are you doing it? renaming them one by one? or is there like a system or something?

I think I might rename some of them I have manually probably Michonne onwards. I've been wanting to do S1 and 2 again due to using a different exporting script that kinda shredded the mesh parts, it makes headhacks a little tricky lol.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:22 pm
RandomTBush wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:18 pmIf you want the proper bone names for everything, perhaps. :P
thanks dude :D how are you doing it? renaming them one by one? or is there like a system or something?

I think I might rename some of them I have manually probably Michonne onwards. I've been wanting to do S1 and 2 again due to using a different exporting script that kinda shredded the mesh parts, it makes headhacks a little tricky lol.
daemon1 clued me in a while back that the texture and bone names used CRC64 hashes, so basically what I've been doing is keeping a list of all of the unknown hashes (there's approximately 4,600 remaining, with over a thousand of those being just from Game of Thrones), and throwing combinations of words and numbers together to see which ones end up being matches to said CRC64 hashes. It's definitely been successful for the most part, considering that the majority of the remaining names are for the props (which vary wildly in naming schemes) and not the characters (which follow similar naming patterns).

But yeah, next revision of the script definitely won't have the "shredded mesh parts" problem since I'm working on optimizing the outputs into a single mesh instead of individual polygon groups. But since I need to do so for each individual version setup, it's gonna take a bit still.
Last edited by RandomTBush on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:39 pmBut yeah, next revision of the script definitely won't have the "shredded mesh parts" problem since I'm working on optimizing the outputs into a single mesh instead of individual polygon groups. But since I need to do so for each individual version setup, it's gonna take a bit still.
Oh no by that I mean I used to use a 3ds to xna script in the past that made the mesh parts shredded, like you'd have part of the face and torso stuck together, or a leg and a hand, but I use fbx to export with and it exports how it appears in 3ds so it's fine really.

Oh I almost forgot, TWD season 4's Zombie400_zombieA to J doesnt seem to load for me, just wondering if it's a problem on my end or not
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Tydeus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:32 pm
RandomTBush wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:39 pmBut yeah, next revision of the script definitely won't have the "shredded mesh parts" problem since I'm working on optimizing the outputs into a single mesh instead of individual polygon groups. But since I need to do so for each individual version setup, it's gonna take a bit still.
Oh no by that I mean I used to use a 3ds to xna script in the past that made the mesh parts shredded, like you'd have part of the face and torso stuck together, or a leg and a hand, but I use fbx to export with and it exports how it appears in 3ds so it's fine really.

Oh I almost forgot, TWD season 4's Zombie400_zombieA to J doesnt seem to load for me, just wondering if it's a problem on my end or not
Ahhh, I see what you mean now.

And it seems like their models are working on my end, it just takes an awfully long time to import them (two-and-a-half minutes for one), particularly because their models have so many duplicated vertices (121,547 verts for zombieA, with only 20,788 being used). I'm hoping when I've got the script optimized that won't be an issue.

(EDIT: Got the last face bones! eyeCornerOuter_L and eyeCornerOuter_R!)
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Making good progress with bringing down the "unknown" bone names for characters now, grand total's now 12,157 (+255 compared to the first update). Just for fun, here's a breakdown of how many bone names are currently missing from each respective game (numbers are for characters / props respectively):

Code: Select all

Back to the Future: 3 / 56
Batman - Season 1: The Telltale Series: 43 / 458
Batman - Season 2: The Enemy Within: 41 / 370
Game of Thrones: 29 / 1025 (!)
Guardians of the Galaxy: 67 / 246
Jurassic Park: 57 / 44
Law & Order Legacies: 33 / 2
Minecraft: Story Mode - Season 1: 114 / 300
Minecraft: Story Mode - Season 2: 53 / 18
Poker Night 2: 24 / 46
Tales from the Borderlands: 23 / 539
The Walking Dead - Michonne: 21 / 242
The Walking Dead - Season 1: 12 / 202
The Walking Dead - Season 2: 6 / 26
The Walking Dead - Season 3: A New Frontier: 33 / 99
The Walking Dead - The Final Season: 12 / 86
The Wolf Among Us: 99 / 235
The props are obviously not on a high priority, because good lord look at how many of those some of the games have.

(EDIT: Updated the totals like I did in my later post.)
Last edited by RandomTBush on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Damn thats fast work :P

The props do repeat a lot too between seasons (probably), the bone names for those arent really that important to me at least, but character bones make it easy to save and load poses :D
daniar23337
n00b

Post by daniar23337 »

1. how do I export models that don't have .skl file?(Buildings, props, etc.)
2. How do I port an fbx format model to d3dmesh?
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

daniar23337 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 am1. how do I export models that don't have .skl file?(Buildings, props, etc.)
1. Just select the model(s) you want to import, then when it asks for a .SKL file just cancel and it'll import without it.
2. There's too many unknown values in the D3DMesh format to be able to make a model exporter, that's something I won't be able to do unfortunately.
daniar23337
n00b

Post by daniar23337 »

RandomTBush wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:31 am
daniar23337 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 am1. how do I export models that don't have .skl file?(Buildings, props, etc.)
1. Just select the model(s) you want to import, then when it asks for a .SKL file just cancel and it'll import without it.
2. There's too many unknown values in the D3DMesh format to be able to make a model exporter, that's something I won't be able to do unfortunately.
https://youtu.be/y5QMDZsYy94
nothing is happening
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

daniar23337 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:51 amhttps://youtu.be/y5QMDZsYy94
nothing is happening
I'm curious, does the same thing happen when you try loading a model that has an skl file?

I'm not sure if it's a thing at all but maybe the script needs to be inside the 3ds max script folder?