Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PS2] 007 Nightfire .crp files

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
hidinginthevoid
beginner

[PS2] 007 Nightfire .crp files

Post by hidinginthevoid »

Hey all,

I've been working on having a look through the files of 007 Nightfire model files lately and I've come across a stumbling block that I need more help with.

I have the files extracted and there is some patterns I am seeing but I am struggling to figure how to parse the data out.

The file magic is PRAC along side that in the header is the following data:

PRAC (CARP) 90 4 1
itrA (Arti) 26 12 6
rahS (Shar) 26 0 17
dFLE (ELFd) 2101274 0 976
rFLE (ELFr) 401602 0 9664
tceS (Sect) 32962 0 11216
ns (sn ) 3323 0 11680
esaB (Base) 24586 0 400
emaN (Name) 2082 0 9344

The first string (PRAC) is the way the data shows in the file, the second in brackets is my inversion of the string (after Edness on the discord pointed out the emaN was just Name backwards, not my proudest moment).

The other values I have just pulled out as UInt32s but this is possibly (likely) wrong...

There is ELF data in the file (starting at 0x400, which can be found via the ELFd part of the header) and after that, lots of instances and small variations on this: __GPRenderMethod_bazooka::{as 0000}::Model[0].00_0_name (usually the zero between the two _'s is increasing).

Further down the file are references to image files (.ssh) and some EAGL microcode bits.

If anyone has info on how I can actually parse this file it would be a life saver as I've tried loads and loads of things and I'm kinda at a loss now...

File link in case you wanna have a play / gander at it.

.crp file

Thank you and have a brilliant day!

~ r
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: [PS2] 007 Nightfire .crp files

Post by AxelNoir »

It's about time someone looked into the old EA games formats honestly. I've been trying myself to rip models from Nightfire and Agent Under Fire console as well, seriously hope someone can finally figure out a way to do so after all these years. I got close with someone helping me unpack some .dat files from Agent Under Fire but I didn't know where to go from there.
hidinginthevoid
beginner

Hell yes! How far did you get and with what tools ? I've been stuck on those .dat files too. I'm also in the progress of trying to crack the .BIN file I have in the root of the ISO... It's odd cause it's not structured like a normal file with a typical header.

If you are on the Discord, drop me a message, would be good to try work through some of these files, see if we can figure something out!
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

hidinginthevoid wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:38 pm Hell yes! How far did you get and with what tools ? I've been stuck on those .dat files too. I'm also in the progress of trying to crack the .BIN file I have in the root of the ISO... It's odd cause it's not structured like a normal file with a typical header.

If you are on the Discord, drop me a message, would be good to try work through some of these files, see if we can figure something out!
Lol sorry, I just saw this message in regards to your PM. At this time I don't have Nightfire's iso downloaded on my pc but I didn't look much into it, just some stuff from Agent Under Fire that's it. I tried to rip models using Ninja Ripper but it didn't work out well and looked bad. I have little experience with hex editing for this stuff too :(
Highflex
beginner

Post by Highflex »

Great to see more interest about this game, i did a bunch of attempts to extract the data ( especially models/anims ), i mainly worked with the gamecube build because it has all assets split per level which gives you various chunks that are easier to navigate.

One of the hardest things to figure out was the initial file compression, (this is all based on gamecube version ) the archives/chunks were compressed with EDL, Eurocom used this in other titles too.

A sample compressed/decompressed plus the EDL tool, incase you want to check:

https://mega.nz/file/iFg0FY7Z#WQQubp11H ... ouMPkjiQXk

Another thing i can recommend is getting the following game on steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6067 ... sed_Mummy/

It ships with the engine tools/data that was also used for Nightfire in some variant before.

Really hoping to see support for Meshes/anims, i did not have much time to actually decipher the formats after initial decompression, but would be great to chime in so feel free to pm regarding discord.
hidinginthevoid
beginner

Woo, glad to hear I am not alone in trying to get these files out.

Worked with DKDave on the Discord last night to extract stuff from the .bin file successfully (though formats are the next challenge), will try see if I can get the decompression working on the files.

I will pick up that game and try use any of the tools I find to extract stuff, thank you!

I actually have a massive markdown file I'm updating with every new discovery, so when I end up cracking most the file formats etc I will be writing it all up :) (And crediting anyone who helped me, it's a big team effort now!)
Reddance
advanced

Post by Reddance »

This is all great stuff! if you guys' do come across getting the models out n such, should post em here too for other people to download em! i'd love to have all the agent under fire NPC models too, those were great :D
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

Reddance wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:51 pm This is all great stuff! if you guys' do come across getting the models out n such, should post em here too for other people to download em! i'd love to have all the agent under fire NPC models too, those were great :D
Agreed, been trying to crack this format and get the models myself for years lol. The only one I got through was Everything or Nothing for the gamecube, with Ninja Ripper I could get an A pose for the meshes but Nightfire and AuF, even Goldeneye Rogue Agent don't do that, no clue why.
Reddance
advanced

Post by Reddance »

Agreed, been trying to crack this format and get the models myself for years lol. The only one I got through was Everything or Nothing for the gamecube, with Ninja Ripper I could get an A pose for the meshes but Nightfire and AuF, even Goldeneye Rogue Agent don't do that, no clue why.
damn! Lol yeah!! it'd be awesome to get those models from agent under fire cause alota them had some great detail, not to mention the 1990s / early to mid 2000s vibe they gave off aswell, i'd just love to use em for stuff, if you guy's do come across some kinda work around for em, please, share it! and post any models / animations you might get from it on this thread too!! ;D
Reddance
advanced

Post by Reddance »

any progress fam? :D
hidinginthevoid
beginner

Some, we have been able to crack the BIN file a bit more and are currently working on a suite of tools to be able to parse the geometry, models, textures etc from files found within the FILES.BIN file...

Annoyingly they are rather complex and trying to actually parse them / understand them is complex as hell.

Will try update here as and when we can, but it could be a while!

If you are able to help out, drop me a message!
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

I don't know if you've managed to get a look at any of the models but I hear that the console models are higher quality than the crap pc version. Is that true?
hidinginthevoid
beginner

No clue at the moment, I'd imagine so cause the PC version made their own models from what I know.

It's going to possibly a while until we get any models cause trying to understand how they attempt to load the model data or even finding patterns in the Hex editors is proving to be a giant pain, until we really know how these files with no extensions are formatted, models are but a distant hope!
Reddance
advanced

Post by Reddance »

hidinginthevoid wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:27 pm Some, we have been able to crack the BIN file a bit more and are currently working on a suite of tools to be able to parse the geometry, models, textures etc from files found within the FILES.BIN file...

Annoyingly they are rather complex and trying to actually parse them / understand them is complex as hell.

Will try update here as and when we can, but it could be a while!

If you are able to help out, drop me a message!
i see! also unfortunately i'm not ENTIRELY skilled on any sort of hex editing or reverse engineering but i'll still stick around for any future progress! heheh, the 007 Agent Under Fire formats aswell, Did anyone get a chance to look at those too? :o
AxelNoir
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by AxelNoir »

I don't think Agent Under Fire should be terribly hard to crack if Nightfire can be cracked. What's weird is that AuF uses a modified Quake 3 engine so you'd think it'd be easier to crack that but no one has yet for whatever reason.