Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Help converting .SAM+.PPS audio files

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Habanero
n00b

Help converting .SAM+.PPS audio files

Post by Habanero »

I have a folder full of sound effects with three filetypes in it from the Nintendo Gamecube game, Lost Kingdoms 2. SAM, which seems to be the audio file itself, PPS, which I guess is the script for the audio file, and a HJD file, which seems to be the directory and names of the sound effects. Can anyone help me convert/extract these? Searching has only brought up a couple other unanswered questions about the format (here and here). AudioKonverter's page says that it's a signed PCM raw audio file, but I don't know how reliable that is, and their program didn't work (and was horribly buggy).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

https://mega.nz/#!F1pkDABT!jbe8JuMh78UX ... ZU9SQufHww
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Help converting .SAM+.PPS audio files

Post by DKDave »

The audio is in Nintendo DSP format.

This script will extract the files from the .pps/.sam archives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Habanero
n00b

Post by Habanero »

DKDave wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:29 pm The audio is in Nintendo DSP format.

This script will extract the files from the .pps/.sam archives.
Thanks. What do I do with the *.vgmstream files though? VGMStream doesn't seem like it'll convert them.

http://puu.sh/F1kpm/02422e2ae2.png
https://puu.sh/F1kuv/82606007d2.png

I wonder why they used a different audio format here despite using DSP for all their other audio in the game.

Edit: It looks like I'm meant to put them into foobar2k and convert from there. Just for future reference, can I convert vgmstream files without having to drop in foobar?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Hi,

I did it that way because it was easier for me as I already had a script. I don't know if you can convert them without Foobar, but it's easy enough anyway.

If I had more time I would have created them with a proper DSP header :-)
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Habanero
n00b

Post by Habanero »

No problem, I was just wondering as I'm still learning this stuff myself (so I don't ask so many questions here!). Thanks for the help.