Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Alien Isolation (.PAK .BIN)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Skooooma
ultra-n00b

Re: Alien Isolation (.PAK .BIN)

Post by Skooooma »

cra0 wrote:Yeah sorry never finished that, you can use volfin's blender script to import the models then export them out as obj,fbx etc

Or write a maxscript that will read the omodels
Im trying to put together the modular level assets in blender but it seems that the .pobjects never assemble a complete model. Is it because some of the data is trapped in the .omodels?
chemlst
ultra-n00b

Post by chemlst »

Hi guys. I trying to import ALIEN bones in Blender with SMD tools. But every time i got error:
I tried latest and 2.2.1 versions of SMD, and also tried change decimal dividers to point in windows settings, but it's not working.
How can i load bones?
Or may be someone have model of alien with bones and textures?
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

the skeleton you're trying to use is wrong. it's expecting 3 floats, and that string pictured is only 1 float. so the skeleton conversion failed somewhere. Try to find the correct skeleton, there's a lot of skeletons but we only handle specific ones in the hkx2smd program. The ones with specific character names on them.
chemlst
ultra-n00b

Post by chemlst »

Hmm, i converted hkx one more time and now smd imports correctly.
sierra14
ultra-n00b

Post by sierra14 »

Hey you guys, sorry about resuscitating a dead thread, but I really need some help

1 - is there anyway to match textures to the models? By looking at the text files from the game, there's various basic textures that are used for multiple models, but no way to work out which one is which, nor which normal and spec maps they use

2 - I can't seem to find any of these 'material libraries' which I'm guessing will work similar to how Fallout 4 uses palette maps to change colours of their textures without having to add in multiple textures.

3 - is there anyway to get the .pObject importer to import multiple files at a time? I'm having to import individual parts of a model one at a time, which is mind-numbing stuff :/

Charlie
materialsAI2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
synthosc
ultra-n00b

Post by synthosc »

Hey guys, does extracting entire levels is still buggy?
because i so far managed to find a dump of the models and textures but it was like all meshes were separated and not all the models were exportable.
Poketooth
ultra-n00b

Post by Poketooth »

My textures won't convert with the converter and I can't seem to find the files for the alien. Can someone give me a file path starting from C: \CONVERTED\?
JohnRWMarchant
ultra-n00b

Post by JohnRWMarchant »

So has anyone managed to export AI interior meshes as a whole interior not just all bunched in at 0,0,0. I would really like to get some of the interiors, not so fussed about the textures.
Thane
ultra-n00b

Post by Thane »

Hi guys, sorry to bump an old thread but i'm trying to make VR mod for Alien Isolation (MotherVR) work a bit better with full room scale VR so people can walk around. The problem im having is that the player character's body model is visible and static in one position so its in the way all the time when your trying to bend over and look at stuff and look around while crouched, etc. I'd like to make it invisible somehow using the material properties or something, but i can't seem to get anywhere with extracting the textures or converting all the BML files to XML. Does anyone know of a way i could do this?

The other problem is the the view starts fading to black when you move about 1.5ft away from the head position. I don't suppose anyone knows how to change that so it doesn't fade?

Thanks!
guidkal
ultra-n00b

Post by guidkal »

Hi,
i'm aware that this is an old thread, however i'm hoping that someone is able to clarify something for me. I managed to extract the alien mesh as well as the skelteon as described a few pages up. Everything is working fine. The Mesh follows the skeleton as it should. However i did not understand whether we can only export the skeleton with the tools given in this thread or if we also should be able to get actual animations from the extracted ANIMATIONS.PAK. As far as i see the converted hkt->smd skeleton only contains the skeleton data but no animations. So is there a way to get actual animations from the game?
Cheers!
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Not to my knowledge, no. But anyone is welome to try. I think I released the source code to the hkx converter some time ago. Here's a link to the repository. It has some 'hints' about the animation format, but there's still a ton of work to do.

https://bitbucket.org/Volfin/hkx2smd/

The problem as you see is there's a ton of possible animation formats that could potentially be used and you'd have to reverse engineer how these storage/compression formats work and write decoders.... it's no small job. And back then we just ran out of steam. I'm just not an animation guy.
guidkal
ultra-n00b

Post by guidkal »

I feel you mate. So i will go with the interior and prop meshes first. I am currently developing a VR Shooter in Unity which at some point i want to put up on steam. Although this is going to be a tactical military shooter and since i am a huge alien fan i also want to use my game framework to build an alien VR shooter for private purposes. For that i need to rebuild the AI maps (or my own) in the Unity game engine, hopefully using the meshes i extract from AI. All of this non commercially for private use only of course. Currently i am using your Blender pobject importer which i wrote a wrapper for (as blender addon) so that i only need to choose one of the pobjects that make up a certain model (e.g. a wall element) and then the script gets all other pobjects that belong to that very model. The script then makes a screenshot of the viewport and saves a blender file with the model. That way i end up with the original directory structure od AI and for each model i have a blender file and a png image which shows an image of the model. That speeded up my workflow tremendously. However i still need to reconstruct the materials and texturing. There are surprisingly few textures in the game so i guess that most of the look is done through the material shaders themselfes. So this is something i need to rebuild in the unity engine as well. Still i can not imagine anything cooler than walking around the AI sets with a pulse rifle and a motion tracker in your VR hands. I already have the pulse rifle with complete weapon handling implemented and working which is pretty fun already. Anyways, thx for your answer and i will have to look into other ways to get my aliens animated. Cheers for your work m8!
guidkal
ultra-n00b

Post by guidkal »

Oh and do you happen to know whether someone managed to convert all dds to some readable format? I am using texconv.exe as well as texgenpack.exe in order to convert the textures. However for some teytures both tools wont work, expecially the files in "normal" and "normal_tiled" wont convert using either of the two tools.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

guidkal wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm Oh and do you happen to know whether someone managed to convert all dds to some readable format? I am using texconv.exe as well as texgenpack.exe in order to convert the textures. However for some teytures both tools wont work, expecially the files in "normal" and "normal_tiled" wont convert using either of the two tools.
All textures work. However a lot of people don't realize the normal are DX10 type BC7 textures which 95% of image programs (including blender) don't understand. I'm pretty sure this is discussed throughout the thread but basically you need to find a way to convert DirectX10 BC1 / BC5 / BC7 textures to normal textures.

Personally i always use the free Intel photoshop plugin for this job. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... rks-plugin
guidkal
ultra-n00b

Post by guidkal »

All right, sorry i must have missed that. Thx again for your kind help. Works like a charm now. Do you mind me asking what u came up with the assets from AI? Did you create something with em? Just cusrious about what other ppl made out of those great models. Cheers again!