Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War maxscript (.skel .mesh)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Naden
n00b

Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War maxscript (.skel .mesh)

Post by Naden »

Does this work for static meshes?
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

If you mean levels-buildings and props (most of them), then nooo they are using another format and need another script. I know this, because long time ago I was building Minas Morgul in fallout 4 using models from SoW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0NGB2i7h8
Making model-import scripts, PM
Naden
n00b

Post by Naden »

Thanks for the reply. :]
Graesholt
beginner

Post by Graesholt »

Hey Zaramot,

I have found another slight problem. erik945’s script worked a treat for extracting everything that had messed up uv’s that I could not fix with the proposed method, and almost everything comes out correctly now using one script or the other.
However, I have found a few models that I simply can’t get out.

Eltariels DLC armor does not seem to extract correctly using the clothing script, which I have never had an issue with until now. The four files (blade armor 1 and 2, and woodelf armor 1 and 2) ectract the armor fine, but the clothes (the skirt bit), which I am fairly certain is contained in the same files, won’t extract. Some of the files even give me an error.
The clothing of the cloaks in the same DLC all extract correctly.
Is this something you’d be willing to take a look at, Zaramot?

I cannot attach the files, but they can be snagged from my dropbox here. Should be safe.
Those are all the files giving me problems, as well as their textures, and some duplicates from the game files that may behave differently.

Just out of curiosity, why are the script and clothing script separate?
The scripts are run on the same files, and extract different things. Why are they not just one script?
Is it to save time, because one of them does a lot of unnecessary stuff?
Again, not telling anyone how to do their work, because frankly I have no business doing so.
Just asking a question because I have been working with these particular scripts a lot lately (:
Graesholt
beginner

Post by Graesholt »

I have found a few more cases of what I reported above in Talions gear.
With all tiers of the Rhovanion and Ranger armor sets, the cloth will extract, but omit certain parts.

Furthermore, I have found a few models which give me errors when using the cloth script; player_blacknumt3_armor, player_numenoreant1_armor, player_haradrimt1_cloak, player_haradrimt2_cloak, player_rangert2_cloak.
Nothing is extracted from these files, they just give an error.

I have put all the models that give me problems in an archive which you can grab from my dropbox here.
Thank you for all your work!
zardalu
veteran

Post by zardalu »

zaramot wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:50 pm If you mean levels-buildings and props (most of them), then nooo they are using another format and need another script. I know this, because long time ago I was building Minas Morgul in fallout 4 using models from SoW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0NGB2i7h8
How did you get the static meshes to make Minas Morgul? I am trying with Ninja Ripper but it does not rip anything when using D3D11 Wrapper and the game executable won't start if I use the Intruder Inject
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

I made maxscript for .inst files (it's maps, buildings etc), still it was a hard task since models aren't placed correctly, there are some other files with such info, I guess but I haven't dig into it THAT much.
Making model-import scripts, PM
zardalu
veteran

Post by zardalu »

zaramot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 am I made maxscript for .inst files (it's maps, buildings etc), still it was a hard task since models aren't placed correctly, there are some other files with such info, I guess but I haven't dig into it THAT much.
Awesome, are you able to share this script?
Morell
ultra-n00b

Post by Morell »

mariokart64n wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 pm Sorry for the bump

A request was made through the xentax discord to have zaramot's maxscript converted to a noesis plugin.
I have gone through zaramot's maxscript line for line and convert it comparably to python, the attached script below will work with Noesis

fmt_shadowofwar_mesh.zip

*The script only views meshes, UV's and texture loading was not incorporated in this python script. of course any previous issues with the maxscript are inherited such as it not working with certain files or models. I would have looked into it, but I only had access to the spider sample posted here
Is this of any use without at least cloth script and UV map? I guess it is, but at elast those two things should be added. This is good beginning as it is.
angelcrab
ultra-n00b

Post by angelcrab »

Hello! I am brand new to this whole model swapping deal and don't really know where to start. I have wanted to mess around with model swapping for mostly only the characters in game since it came out, but never really knew where to begin. Could any of you fine fellows point me in the right direction, preferably something user friendly lol. Thank you!
Morell
ultra-n00b

Post by Morell »

I suppose that you start with mastering unpacking and re-packing the archives.
I use QuickBMS to extract from archives and then again to get game files. You can use script for shadow of mordor in this program, it works on SOW too. (although not sure about repacking them)
That way you can get the models and possibly make repacks too, the program is easy to use.
Once you have the files, I guess that you can start making switching and repack, although the process won't be that simple I fear.
BTW do you have 3DS Max? I would use a little help myself with usage of the SoW script import. (PM me)
MorgothZeONE
advanced

Post by MorgothZeONE »

my primary issue is still figuring out where most of the files for Uruks and Ologs (heads, armor, helmets, etc.) are located, as well as some Nazgul and creature related assets, as I can only seem to find a small portion of them
Morell
ultra-n00b

Post by Morell »

I've spend a lot of time digging through the files, corecharacter, hotchunk, monsters and all around them, missing weapons and few missing textures I was looking for...
I completely missed the file UI_assets, that contains them. Have you checked that one? It evaded my eyes for long. Might contain what you need.

My primary issue is now whether I should rewrite the importing scripts for Blender or not. But that would be cool I guess.
MorgothZeONE
advanced

Post by MorgothZeONE »

i have not checked that one but i shall now

update: you were right thank you!
medburyminitures
ultra-n00b

Post by medburyminitures »

ive tried using the noesis script

Output extension has set output file type to:
.fbx - Autodesk FBX
Detected file type: Shadow of War (PC)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\tools\noeiss\plugins\python\fmt_shadowofwar_mesh.py", line 90, in noepyLoadModel
bs.seek(MeshCount * 4, NOESEEK_REL)
File "D:\tools\noeiss\plugins\python\inc_noesis.py", line 181, in seek
self.toUnpacker(); r = noeSuper(self).seek(addr, isRelative); self.fromUnpacker(); return r
File "D:\tools\noeiss\plugins\python\inc_noesis.py", line 177, in fromUnpacker
self.setOffset(self.byteOfs)
File "D:\tools\noeiss\plugins\python\inc_noesis.py", line 80, in setOffset
noesis.bsSetOfs(self.h, ofs)
OverflowError: Python int too large to convert to C long

any ideas?