Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[REQ] Help with old Macintosh/Quicktime format (*.pic/PICT)

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
Habanero
n00b

[REQ] Help with old Macintosh/Quicktime format (*.pic/PICT)

Post by Habanero »

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me convert these images, or if any progress has been made. I bought an old Japanese RPG called Vampire Hurts that I might be interested in translating. First thing first is breaking open the files inside!

Some reading:
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discuss ... efeated-me
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1369&p=9550&hilit=pict#p9550 (I tried the converter posted here and it just resulted in "ERROR"

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lowxmhnh5ywrmug/bmp.zip

If anyone can assist me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Re: [REQ] Help with old Macintosh/Quicktime format (*.pic/PICT)

Post by Acewell »

i don't think these pic samples are apple formats, just typical paletted/non-paletted rgb images with pic extension. :D
Habanero
n00b

Post by Habanero »

Acewell wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:06 pm i don't think these pic samples are apple formats, just typical paletted/non-paletted rgb images with pic extension. :D
Ahh, okay. How would I go about viewing/converting the images though? Renaming the extension to jpg, png, or bmp didn't work. I tried Manifold Viewer since it's what popped up when I googled how to open palette files, and that didn't work either.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Vampire Hurts (*.pic)

Post by Acewell »

here is Noesis python script to open pic files from this game. :D
tex_VampireHurts_pic.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Habanero
n00b

Post by Habanero »

Thank you! That takes care of the images. Now all that seems to be left are the .dat files.

Is there a way to preserve the transparency when importing into Noesis, though? The transparency has been replaced with a black background.
Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell »

Habanero wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 amIs there a way to preserve the transparency when importing into Noesis, though? The transparency has been replaced with a black background.
i'm pretty sure any image meant to have transparency in this game is accompanied
by a file of the same name also with _a in the file name to denote "alpha" and is likely
combined and rendered by the game at runtime, for example:
v_up_ela.pic
v_up_ela_a.pic