Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Attempt to extract MTV Music Generator 3 (Xbox) sound files

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
LeoneFamily
ultra-n00b

Attempt to extract MTV Music Generator 3 (Xbox) sound files

Post by LeoneFamily »

Hello, this is my very first post here! :)

I've been trying to extract sound samples from MTV Music Generator 3 on the OG Xbox to sample some riffs in Audacity and MIDI programs, as I am an hobbyist musician and would really love to edit some of those samples and make some nice stuff out of them :)

So, today I extracted the audio folders of the game disc. Already there are a couple of ready-to-play .wav files but they are all just full songs, they are not the individual samples. The only other file in the audio folder is a file by the name of dbbody.dbd, so I bought the full version of WATTO's Game Extractor 3.09 and attempted to open this file. The only thing that the program found in that file are 56 unnamed .pcx image files, 128 Bytes each, yet the actual file size of dbbody.dbd is over 900 MB. I tried searching for the in-game names of some of those samples using HxD (HEX viewer) but it found none of those sample titles. So I am powerless from this point on. If someone has the ability of extracting those samples I would be forever grateful! I will also ask any questions you may have :D

For now, here is that mysterious dbbody.dbd file that I suspect is the one containing the audio samples:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2syh2b8gi6ioq ... y.dbd?dl=0

Thanks again from an overly polite french-canadian! :keke:
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Attempt to extract MTV Music Generator 3 (Xbox) sound files

Post by DKDave »

That file is just a stream of raw 16-bit PCM, 44,000 Hz, mono audio data, almost 3 hours long, as far as I can tell.

I can't see a file table that references the individual files, so that must be stored elsewhere.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
LeoneFamily
ultra-n00b

Post by LeoneFamily »

DKDave wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:36 pm That file is just a stream of raw 16-bit PCM, 44,000 Hz, mono audio data, almost 3 hours long, as far as I can tell.

I can't see a file table that references the individual files, so that must be stored elsewhere.
Thanks a lot! That's already a good start, I'm going to extract the whole game then, see if you can find the table that references the files. :)
Here is the full game files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7b4elpbjlmoms ... s.zip?dl=0

P.S. I was able to upload the data in Audacity and from pure luck I found one of the audio samples that I was looking for in the sea of 3-hour long audio :D , but a nice reference would be necessary to find where are the other samples :)
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

The first file in outputx.wbd is a database of the wave sounds and where they're located in the dbd file :-)
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
LeoneFamily
ultra-n00b

Post by LeoneFamily »

DKDave wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 pm The first file in outputx.wbd is a database of the wave sounds and where they're located in the dbd file :-)
Wow! Thanks again! But how do I read the file? With HxD I'm able to find the in-game names of these samples but the rest is gibberish, where is the sample time position written in the file?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

The file table stores the actual offsets and sizes of the data.

Try this QuickBMS script - it will extract the data as playable .wav files ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeoneFamily
ultra-n00b

Post by LeoneFamily »

Wow it works like a charm! Thanks you sooo much, I'm going to have a lot of fun with these samples! :D I couldn't thank you enough! :D
skripto
ultra-n00b

Post by skripto »

Please provide download link for the samples bro! 🙏🏼 I would really appreciate it!
noode
ultra-n00b

Post by noode »

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pvjkch0j ... s.zip/file

It's a 1 Time link Unfortunately, So download it as quick as you can before anyone else does!