Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Northlight Tool (also known as "The Alan Wake Engine")

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Northlight Tool (also known as "The Alan Wake Engine")

Post by Evin »

This project is closed, no new update! New project based on this:https://github.com/TomEvin/neat

NorthlightTool.jpg
Supported games (PC/X360, possible PS4/XOne but not possible to test it yet):
- Alan Wake (PC/X360)
- Alan Wake American Nightmare (PC/X360)
- Quantum Break (PC, possible XOne)
- Control (PC, possible XOne/PS4)
- Alan Wake Remastered (PC, possible XOne/PS4)

Xbox One compatible not tested! PS4 supported in most cases.

DOWNLOAD
v1.2 beta (2022.02.10): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VXjMfk ... sp=sharing

This project is closed, no new update! New project based on this:https://github.com/TomEvin/neat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Evin on Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Northlight Tool (also known as "The Alan Wake Engine")

Post by volfin »

Great work! I can't wait to try it out.
Bladers
veteran

Post by Bladers »

are you gonna make changes to your blender script to support control?
I spent a day trying to amend the code to support the new binfbx and i just couldn't understand the model format. looking at the QB format, it was obvious, each block had the MO signature. but for Control its like gibberish. Maybe its not sequential? idk...
Apocalypse000
ultra-n00b

Post by Apocalypse000 »

I made all the files I end up with this file the

ep101-000-generic.rmdp

Here is the size of the file 6 312 580 kb I can not extract it I would like to recover models I have already recovered all the textures of jesse And still other texture

I also have a lot of texture of the game and other characters
Apocalypse000
ultra-n00b

Post by Apocalypse000 »

A little help on how to extract these two files

ep101-000-generic.rmdp

ep100-000-pc.rmdp

I think the models are in this file Otherwise I already have all the texture of the game the characters the decor the weapons The creatures
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

I could unpack ep101-000-generic.rmdp and ep100-000-pc.rmdp!
What is your error message?
Apocalypse000
ultra-n00b

Post by Apocalypse000 »

I do not know how to unpack them with your tool
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Bladers wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:15 pm are you gonna make changes to your blender script to support control?
I spent a day trying to amend the code to support the new binfbx and i just couldn't understand the model format. looking at the QB format, it was obvious, each block had the MO signature. but for Control its like gibberish. Maybe its not sequential? idk...
Ah I was hoping the tool already converted to a known model format, I guess not. I'll of course have to work on a blender plugin. But it's a lot of work, could be days or weeks.
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

Apocalypse000 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:30 pm I do not know how to unpack them with your tool
Right-upper "Browse" button, then Export button.
I do not think it is so complicated.
Apocalypse000
ultra-n00b

Post by Apocalypse000 »

I used another program to extract rmdp I found character texture I'm still looking for models
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

Ok, I'm making some progress on a model importer. I have the file format nearly fully mapped out. It's quite a bit different from Quantum break, in fact I'd say it's completely different.

There's pointers at the start to 3 major blocks of data, and then past that a parameter block with all the information about the model, materials, vertice counts, number of models in the file, etc. And then past that another data table. I've only looked at a single model without skinning so far and will work today to write an importer for that, and then test it on other files. I'm sure once I start doing that I'll find mistakes and exceptions which will have to be dealt with. and Then I'll turn to skinned models and see how far I can get with those. I don't know yet if they include the skeleton and such.

But I can say I'm making good progress and I'm confident I'll have something to share soon.
Bladers
veteran

Post by Bladers »

volfin wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 pm Ok, I'm making some progress on a model importer. I have the file format nearly fully mapped out. It's quite a bit different from Quantum break, in fact I'd say it's completely different.

There's pointers at the start to 3 major blocks of data, and then past that a parameter block with all the information about the model, materials, vertice counts, number of models in the file, etc. And then past that another data table. I've only looked at a single model without skinning so far and will work today to write an importer for that, and then test it on other files. I'm sure once I start doing that I'll find mistakes and exceptions which will have to be dealt with. and Then I'll turn to skinned models and see how far I can get with those. I don't know yet if they include the skeleton and such.

But I can say I'm making good progress and I'm confident I'll have something to share soon.
Wow you're fast. Looking forward to this, even just importing non skinned models for starters would be great.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by volfin »

I have very simple model import working now. here's a couple of examples:

I noticed they bragged about using simplygon in the opening credits, I have to say these are some of the worst looking LOD models I've ever seen. But that's fine I guess, the highest level is usually the best anyway. Next step is to get UV mapping working and see if I can figure out how normal are stored (I never seem to have success with normals though so won't spend a lot of time on it.)
Cukier
ultra-n00b

Post by Cukier »

It works for Control game. But unfortunely when im trying to export Alan Wake files it prints me "An overflow occurred during the arithmetic operation".
What is wrong ? Also i wanted to check that tool because Alan Wake Tool v0.5 works like a charm, it don't pops up this message, but when i try to repack ep999-007.rmdp / bin the game just crashes.
Bladers
veteran

Post by Bladers »

volfin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:26 pm I have very simple model import working now. here's a couple of examples:

I noticed they bragged about using simplygon in the opening credits, I have to say these are some of the worst looking LOD models I've ever seen. But that's fine I guess, the highest level is usually the best anyway. Next step is to get UV mapping working and see if I can figure out how normal are stored (I never seem to have success with normals though so won't spend a lot of time on it.)
That's so Neat!

What do you think about the animations? @daemon1 says its basically impossible or rather improbable. But what do you think?
Can it be done and be done in a reasonable timetable?