Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Prey (2017) pak decryption tool

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
jflieger
n00b

Re: Prey (2017) pak decryption tool

Post by jflieger »

Excellent, thanks a bunch.
skinnermedia
ultra-n00b

Post by skinnermedia »

Thank you so much for this tool! I needed to extract Morgan (female and male) and I will be doing so later on today.

Edit:
I am really sorry if this was already explained somewhere else, or if I am just a complete idiot but....
How do you use this to extract models? Every time I attempt to use it, nothing happens.

Edit 2 xD:
I have figured it out, sorry! Thanks again for the tool!
jopopo1986
ultra-n00b

Post by jopopo1986 »

I tried to decrypt the english.pak from the localization folder but i get the error "couldn't decrypt content"

Am i doing something wrong? :[

edit: it worked with "Star Citizen Pak Extractor" instead
Keeperv85
ultra-n00b

Post by Keeperv85 »

Hello Guys!

Thanks for this tool, working great!

I want to translate ingame signpost, example this:

...but... I have no idea where is this... uhm... texture (?).

Pls help! Thanks!
phill05
beginner

Post by phill05 »

Yes, this is a texture, everything except screens and monitors is a texture.
Keeperv85
ultra-n00b

Post by Keeperv85 »

phill05 wrote:Yes, this is a texture, everything except screens and monitors is a texture.
Ok. Thanks!

..and any idea, how can i find these? :D
Espio
n00b

Post by Espio »

Prey Mooncrash files can't be decrypted. Any chance for an updated tool?
Sir Kane
veteran

Post by Sir Kane »

Updated the first post in this thread with a new version that supports the Mooncrash DLC.
spennser
n00b

Post by spennser »

Would this work for audio files?
TacoBellLord
ultra-n00b

Post by TacoBellLord »

Alright, so thank you for this stuff but to be honest I don't understand it. I just came here trying to find a way to get Prey character and model files from the game's files for use in blender. So first off how do I get 7zip to work because my computer says it is downloading it and once it's downloaded it does nothing. I try to open it and it asks if I want to allow it to open because its downloaded from the internet but once I hit yes it doesn't do a single thing. Also how do I get the Cryengine converter to do stuff? Can one of you guys help me out please, I don't know very much about file types and windows and stuff like that. I'm new to all this stuff so if any of you could put it in simple terms, like in a series of steps I'd be far more than grateful.
evilvasile
ultra-n00b

Post by evilvasile »

TacoBellLord wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:53 am Alright, so thank you for this stuff but to be honest I don't understand it. I just came here trying to find a way to get Prey character and model files from the game's files for use in blender. So first off how do I get 7zip to work because my computer says it is downloading it and once it's downloaded it does nothing. I try to open it and it asks if I want to allow it to open because its downloaded from the internet but once I hit yes it doesn't do a single thing.
If you're using Windows 10, it should natively recognize .zip files. If not, you can always try WinRar: https://www.win-rar.com/download.html
TacoBellLord wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:53 amAlso how do I get the Cryengine converter to do stuff? Can one of you guys help me out please, I don't know very much about file types and windows and stuff like that. I'm new to all this stuff so if any of you could put it in simple terms, like in a series of steps I'd be far more than grateful.
Do you mean how to use the PreyConvert.exe tool to decrypt the pak files?

If so, you need to open CMD (Windows Key + R, then type 'cmd' and run it) and run the PreyConvert.exe tool with the input and output file as arguments, so it would look something like this

Code: Select all

D:\Test\PreyConvert_003\PreyConvert.exe "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\GameSDK\Objects-part0.pak" "D:\Test\Objects-part0.zip"

Edit:

Oh yea, actually, I registered here because I wanted to mention, late last year when I ran into this thread, I was looking for a way to get to where the game keeps the Recycling data.

Long story short, I needed to extract tons of files while looking for it, and I ended up making a GUI tool to automatically run the decryption tools for the pak/xml files. I just kept it to myself until now, but now it's on github if anyone cares: https://github.com/evilvasile/EvilExtractor

I'm pretty sure you could just do this with a simple batch script or something, but I don't know anything about that and i know C#, so this was easier for me, haha.

I've attached a pic of what it looks like, for the tool itself check the git.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheTwilightDancer
ultra-n00b

Post by TheTwilightDancer »

I wonder, if any tools out there support conversion of fully rigged and skinned models from the game yet. Trying to find simple to use tools since I can't figure out how to go through more complicated steps. I got the Prey convert tool to unpack the assets, but I wanna be able to use fully rigged and skinned models in Blender. Anyone know of any tools? CGF Converter doesn't yet support Prey files. Or at the very least, anyone have any fully skinned and rigged models of Morgan Yu, weapons, Operators, and Typhon? I wanna get a hold of them.
fordyi
ultra-n00b

Post by fordyi »

HI all,

I cant seem to get this to work with the latest pak file which is inside typhon hunter. It's called "Pinkeye-windowsnoeditor.pak". I was hoping to decrypt this to take a look at the VR implementation and see if there was a way to merge vr inputs into the main game. Preyconvert.exe returns and error, "failed to open Pinkeye-windowsnoeditor.pak for reading. "
lolwatt
veteran

Post by lolwatt »

fordyi wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:45 pm HI all,

I cant seem to get this to work with the latest pak file which is inside typhon hunter. It's called "Pinkeye-windowsnoeditor.pak". I was hoping to decrypt this to take a look at the VR implementation and see if there was a way to merge vr inputs into the main game. Preyconvert.exe returns and error, "failed to open Pinkeye-windowsnoeditor.pak for reading. "
Typhon was created with UE4, not CryEngine like Prey and Mooncrash.
It's due to outsource or whatever, who knows. :P
iambosh
advanced

Post by iambosh »

lolwatt wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:52 pm
fordyi wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:45 pm HI all,

Typhon was created with UE4, not CryEngine like Prey and Mooncrash.
It's due to outsource or whatever, who knows. :P
yeah and it's pak has a AES key on it. that i can NOT figure out how to crack