Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

PS4 KH SCD by any other name?

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: PS4 KH SCD by any other name?

Post by DKDave »

There's definitely some background music in that .SVM file. Do you have a few more examples? I may be able to work out the format and how to extract them.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:32 pm There's definitely some background music in that .SVM file. Do you have a few more examples? I may be able to work out the format and how to extract them.
oh yes, of that and more - including battle voices. Which one would you prefer?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Your .SVM file had some audio, but it seems more like ambient background rather than cutscene audio. Is it specifically the cutscene voice audio in Chain of Memories you need?

The cutscenes in the PS2 version seem to have exactly the same audio, and I can rip those ones as they're contained in .PSS video files. I assume the PS4 has similar versions of these files, but they'll probably be much larger due to being higher quality video.

As an example, attached is the audio from one of the PS2 cutscenes You can play it with Foobar/vgmstream if you keep the attached .txth file in the same folder.

https://mega.nz/#!WuJBwChQ!qwf2e5Ja5e_X ... w0-qYyfVDo
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:54 pm Your .SVM file had some audio, but it seems more like ambient background rather than cutscene audio. Is it specifically the cutscene voice audio in Chain of Memories you need?

The cutscenes in the PS2 version seem to have exactly the same audio, and I can rip those ones as they're contained in .PSS video files. I assume the PS4 has similar versions of these files, but they'll probably be much larger due to being higher quality video.

As an example, attached is the audio from one of the PS2 cutscenes You can play it with Foobar/vgmstream if you keep the attached .txth file in the same folder.

https://mega.nz/#!WuJBwChQ!qwf2e5Ja5e_X ... w0-qYyfVDo
Not the cutscene audio, if it's not possible to detach it from the background music, which is evidently not possible to do.
I'm looking also for cutscene audio but I'm more concerned about whether Square, for some reason, kept the PS2 audio then added PS4 SCD audio, lord help me why.

Many thanks for your help!
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Unless someone knows different, I think they've used exactly the same audio data for the PS4 version and just updated the graphics. If that's the case, then you'll only get the voices mixed in with the background music, which is the majority (all?) of the dialogue in Re:CoM.

There's such a mixture of different file extensions all containing various VAG format sounds, with or without headers. There doesn't appear to be any dialogue other than in the cutscenes that I can see.

So, the .VSV files appear to be background music for gameplay scenes, .VSM files appear to be little musical themes for when you complete a level, and the .SND files appear to be the battle sounds. If your PS4 has .PSS files, then they will be the cutscenes.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:36 pm Unless someone knows different, I think they've used exactly the same audio data for the PS4 version and just updated the graphics. If that's the case, then you'll only get the voices mixed in with the background music, which is the majority (all?) of the dialogue in Re:CoM.

There's such a mixture of different file extensions all containing various VAG format sounds, with or without headers. There doesn't appear to be any dialogue other than in the cutscenes that I can see.

So, the .VSV files appear to be background music for gameplay scenes, .VSM files appear to be little musical themes for when you complete a level, and the .SND files appear to be the battle sounds. If your PS4 has .PSS files, then they will be the cutscenes.
How do you get the audio off the SND?

I cannot find and PSS file, this is all I can find in MAP folders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I just used PSound on your SND file to see what was there, and it found 3 sounds in old-style PSX format. No filenames are stored for these. I suspect there may be other sounds in the file in a different format, but I can't find anything specific from trying to play the data with various codecs.

Those files from the MAP folders don't appear to contain any audio either.

I suspect that your PS4 disc may be structured similar to the PS2 version. On the PS2 disc of KH:CoM there's a hidden index to all of the data on the rest of the disc, so I was able to extract the files and then extract the cutscene audio. I still need to get my hands on a PS4 disc to check if it has the same setup. I believe the PS4 disc is about 40 GB, so that's a lot of data that's probably not visible in the normal file system.

They don't make it easy!
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:52 pm I just used PSound on your SND file to see what was there, and it found 3 sounds in old-style PSX format. No filenames are stored for these. I suspect there may be other sounds in the file in a different format, but I can't find anything specific from trying to play the data with various codecs.

Those files from the MAP folders don't appear to contain any audio either.

I suspect that your PS4 disc may be structured similar to the PS2 version. On the PS2 disc of KH:CoM there's a hidden index to all of the data on the rest of the disc, so I was able to extract the files and then extract the cutscene audio. I still need to get my hands on a PS4 disc to check if it has the same setup. I believe the PS4 disc is about 40 GB, so that's a lot of data that's probably not visible in the normal file system.

They don't make it easy!
Ohh right, maybe I'd find the text file? any suggestion about that?

Many thanks for your help!
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

What I did with the PS2 version was to dump the first 20 MB or so of the disc sectors and then look at it in a hex editor, and I found a file table with filenames. You can do a search for some of the following filenames to see if you find anything similar in the PS4 version:

001.pss
011.pss
012.pss

This index is usually straight after the 'normal' file system data, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:01 pm What I did with the PS2 version was to dump the first 20 MB or so of the disc sectors and then look at it in a hex editor, and I found a file table with filenames. You can do a search for some of the following filenames to see if you find anything similar in the PS4 version:

001.pss
011.pss
012.pss

This index is usually straight after the 'normal' file system data, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
No PSS files but I found files with in-game text. Is this the same thing?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I don't think it's the same thing, unfortunately. I think I really need to get my hands on the disc to have a proper look. I might then have a better idea of getting all of the audio.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:47 pm I don't think it's the same thing, unfortunately. I think I really need to get my hands on the disc to have a proper look. I might then have a better idea of getting all of the audio.
any way I can help, perhaps with the PKG?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Yes, the PKG file would be good - although it's probably about 40 GB, I would imagine!
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:44 pm Yes, the PKG file would be good - although it's probably about 40 GB, I would imagine!
Yes it is, even more so unpacked. Do you need links?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Yes, if you're allowed to. I haven't been able to get the disc yet either.