Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

PS4 KH SCD by any other name?

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

PS4 KH SCD by any other name?

Post by Devilot »

Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble with understanding how/where audio is stored in certain files got off PS4 PKG of Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5.

When looking through them via HxD, they clearly display either to be containers for SCD, or to be SCD by different name.

There is also a 3D model, .mdls, which does store some audio files.

I have no idea, however, how to get these files out. PSound doesn't work anymore, which was the tool I used for the PS2 games,

Samples per each type are here.

I'd appreciate help, please.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: PS4 KH SCD by any other name?

Post by Devilot »

UPDATE: VSV successfully opened.
Feel free to ignore the .vsv file.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

Update 2: it has come to my attention that, despite the names, the audio inside the files may not be SCD. I'd greatly appreciate any tool that can detect also PS2 audio, since PSound doesn't work. It could be VAG audio.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

Update 3: ReCom battle voices found.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

So, just a small report: PSound apparently can find PS2 audio files, but not the ones specifically made for the PS4. Any way to scan through them?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

A few observations from those files in the "1.5" folder:

All of the following files open ok for me with PSound (v2.0) - some have a VAG header, some don't, but all seem to be standard Playstation 4-bit audio:

aw_006.vset - 7 sounds
aw_goofy.csv - 15 sounds
music157.dat - 33 sounds (all musical instrument sounds, which also seems to include associated midi-style song data to play them)
pc_036.dat - 3 sounds
xw_tz_5000 - 2 sounds

xa_al_0030.mdls - can't find any sounds in this file

It's possible there is other data in the files apart from the audio. SCD seems to be a general file extension which isn't related to the type of content in the file, from what I can tell.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:19 pm A few observations from those files in the "1.5" folder:

All of the following files open ok for me with PSound (v2.0) - some have a VAG header, some don't, but all seem to be standard Playstation 4-bit audio:

aw_006.vset - 7 sounds
aw_goofy.csv - 15 sounds
music157.dat - 33 sounds (all musical instrument sounds, which also seems to include associated midi-style song data to play them)
pc_036.dat - 3 sounds
xw_tz_5000 - 2 sounds

xa_al_0030.mdls - can't find any sounds in this file

It's possible there is other data in the files apart from the audio. SCD seems to be a general file extension which isn't related to the type of content in the file, from what I can tell.
Oh yeah most of the files are like, 3d models or animations. So you're saying that what I'm finding is the only audio that there is?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Yes, those are the only sounds in those KH files.

There are quite a lot of voice audio files in the game - maybe about 2,000 in total. It doesn't seem like the audio format has changed from the original PS2 version, so you should be able to find them all in various archives with PSound, assuming they're not compressed.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:16 pm Yes, those are the only sounds in those KH files.

There are quite a lot of voice audio files in the game - maybe about 2,000 in total. It doesn't seem like the audio format has changed from the original PS2 version, so you should be able to find them all in various archives with PSound, assuming they're not compressed.
Thanks. In a way, it is comforting. I'm more disappointed about ReCom audio, since "cutscene" audio is actually embedded in the cutscene... not possible to get it out.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

No problem. Do you have an example of a Re:CoM cutscene? I could take a look at it, see if I can make anything of it. Anything's possible!
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:52 pm No problem. Do you have an example of a Re:CoM cutscene? I could take a look at it, see if I can make anything of it. Anything's possible!
I can send you something, definitely. What is the file extension of cutscenes?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I'm not sure. I know someone who has the disc, so I'll get it and have a look as soon as I can.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

DKDave wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:40 pm I'm not sure. I know someone who has the disc, so I'll get it and have a look as soon as I can.
I've got most files out, if that helps.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Yes, if you could post a list of the file names and sizes that might be useful.
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

There's a folder called "stream" with such a file example: ST0100. This one sounds moderately promising.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.