Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Working On English Voices for Bomberman Jetters (GC)

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
SteamyJ
beginner

Working On English Voices for Bomberman Jetters (GC)

Post by SteamyJ »

Hello again everyone, I'm at it again! I just had a brief question this time. I extracted the files from the iso with Dolphin and there's a folder called Voice. It appears to have everything I'm looking for, all in .DSP files. I opened these with a DSP friendly version of Audacity and the voices are audible but some appear scrambled.

For example, the file e004lr has Shout speaking and mid way through the sentence, she repeats herself, cutting herself off before finishing her statement. I've noticed this is the case with many of the samples. Even voices that complete their sentences still repeat themselves such as with file h072lr.

Should I use a different program or is it somehow loading these wrong?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Working On English Voices for Bomberman Jetters (GC)

Post by DKDave »

I've just had a look at these. They are stereo DSP files, although vgmstream doesn't seem to detect them correctly, so you get some that don't sound right when played. I suspect Audacity is also opening them incorrectly.

It should be simple enough to do something with these - I'll have a think :-)

Maybe Pingu will have some info too!
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

It was easier than I thought!

If you rename all of the files so that there's an underscore before the "lr" in the filename, they should all play correctly in Foobar with vgmstream.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Pingu
veteran

Post by Pingu »

Yes, this is true. Sometimes you have to rename certain extensions as the vanilla version of foobar takes priority in reading sound files first before vgmstream. Renaming then allows vgmstream to be prioritized as foobar doesn’t know what to do with the extension.
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Ah very good, that trick worked. However it seems not all the voices are here. Some characters like Bomberman and Max are still floating around out there.

I showed this to a friend and he noticed there are some voices in the jetters.samp file. Is there a way to get to them from here?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I think I can get those from the .samp file for you. Working on it :-)
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Ok, here's my program that should do the trick. Unzip the attached files into the same folder as jetters.samp. Open a command prompt and run bj_samp.exe - as usual, it should be self-explanatory.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

I'm having trouble again DKDave. Whenever I go to open the file bj_samp.exe the window appears then vanishes just as quick. I tried opening Command Prompt itself and running bj_samp.exe but it did nothing. I'm not the most tech savvy so I apologize for the inconvenience.
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

No problem, SteamyJ - just put the attached .bat file in the same folder as bj_samp.exe, file_table and jetters.samp - and then double-click the bj.bat file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Thanks for the file DKDave. I put it in and it extracted over 800 files for me.

My next thing is, roughly half of these files will not play in Foobar while the others will. Here's what it looks like.

https://i.imgur.com/aGFFa7z.png
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I'm not sure what the problem is there. All 854 files play fine for me, although I do know Foobar is sometimes a bit temperamental.

I'm not an expert on Foobar, but maybe vgmstream is detecting the files incorrectly. If you go into your Foobar preferences, under Playback > Decoding, you can drag vgmstream higher up the list so it gets priority.

It would be interesting to know if these files play ok for anyone else.

If you want an alternative solution, which might work better, you can rename all the files to have the extension .vgmstream, and then paste the following into a text file called .vgmstream.txth in the same folder as the audio files:

codec = DSP
codec_mode = 0
interleave = 0
channels = 1
sample_rate = @0x0A:BE$2
num_samples = @0x00:BE$4
start_offset = 0x0060
coef_offset = 0x001c
coef_spacing = 0x0020
coef_endianness = BE
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

I tried both ways you suggested but neither seemed to work. Is there a particular component I need to add to foobar for them to work?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

If you haven't got it, I think you might also need the ADPCM decoders for Foobar.

vgmstream will support the TXTH format, but it doesn't seem to recognise DSP, properly, which looks like the problem you're having.

If you install the ADPCM decoders 1.13 from the Foobar2000 site, that should work (fingers crossed!).
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Good news. All I needed was the ADPCM decoder and the DSP files work now. Turns out I just needed that all along lol. Everything seems to play correctly now. I'll let you know if anything else comes up but thanks as usual DKDave! :D
SteamyJ
beginner

Post by SteamyJ »

Hey again. I finally had a chance to sit down and go through all of the files from .samp file. It seems that after all that there are still just a few more voices in hiding. These in particular are in the animated cutscenes. There's roughly 8 of them in the game: when you start a new file, 5 different bosses, a bad ending and a cutscene in place of the bad ending leading to the final world.