Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Tydeus
veteran

Re: Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post by Tydeus »

Annie2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm Hi guys, I just had a question. If I now use like for example Clementines character in a game that I have been privately working on, and release the game but other players wont be able to use Clementines character in the game, only game developer will be able to. Will I still get in trouble for it? Will I get sued for using her character in my game?
You're fine as long as you dont make money doing it.

Also holy shit, RTD finished it?! I've been playing Days Gone for like 24hrs straight and completely missed it lol.
Annie2
n00b

Post by Annie2 »

Is it also possible to get the animations of the Characters of The Walking Dead: The final season into 3dmax?

Edit: I assume "CLEMENTINE-IDLES.prop" are the animations? But is it possible to import it to 3d max?
Last edited by Annie2 on Mon May 13, 2019 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Über Winfrey
n00b

Post by Über Winfrey »

anyone happen to know what texture Lee uses for his hair strands, I've dumped the files and haven't seen a d3dtx for it, I've tried other character's files to see if maybe he reuses them but so far came back negative.

Edit: I figured it out, he uses Aj's Hair texture
ChoChoCup
ultra-n00b

Post by ChoChoCup »

Does anyone have a collection of telltale models? (unconverted) im looking for models for every game. (if not,i'd be looking for TWD Season 1-4 + Michonne And Minecraft Story Mode Season 1 And 2.) I'd like to convert these for programs (With credit.) if anyone has some,PLEASE send me a link/download.
Diatribal
n00b

Post by Diatribal »

Annie2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm Hi guys, I just had a question. If I now use like for example Clementines character in a game that I have been privately working on, and release the game but other players wont be able to use Clementines character in the game, only game developer will be able to. Will I still get in trouble for it? Will I get sued for using her character in my game?
Hmmm, I am no legal expert, but... I would definitely not use a character model from another game developer in your game! Even if it is only available to other developers, if your game goes out to the public and someone manages to mod your game or look inside the game code and discover a game model from another game, that could be a very costly mistake! GTA San Andreas "Hot Coffee" is a perfect example, the developers put a sex scene in the game and didn't remove it when the game was released. Game modders discovered it and how to access it and unless I am mistaken, Rockstar took a pretty heavy hit for it. There were lawsuits and I think it even went as far as Hilary Clinton!

Of course, the choice is yours, but I would definitely not release your game to the public with a Telltale model in it. If it is just for the developers, then why don't you just do a developer version of the game that doesn't go out to the public? Use any number of copyrighted models in that version.
Annie2
n00b

Post by Annie2 »

Diatribal wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am
Hmmm, I am no legal expert, but... I would definitely not use a character model from another game developer in your game! Even if it is only available to other developers, if your game goes out to the public and someone manages to mod your game or look inside the game code and discover a game model from another game, that could be a very costly mistake! GTA San Andreas "Hot Coffee" is a perfect example, the developers put a sex scene in the game and didn't remove it when the game was released. Game modders discovered it and how to access it and unless I am mistaken, Rockstar took a pretty heavy hit for it. There were lawsuits and I think it even went as far as Hilary Clinton!

Of course, the choice is yours, but I would definitely not release your game to the public with a Telltale model in it. If it is just for the developers, then why don't you just do a developer version of the game that doesn't go out to the public? Use any number of copyrighted models in that version.
You are right, thank you.
Escope12
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Escope12 »

I keep getting an error when trying to convert D3DTX Textures into DDS with the Quickbms Scripts.
Maximmum
advanced

Post by Maximmum »

Annie2 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm

No he's actually wrong, as long as you don't have money from this game and release for free you won't be sued, i know lots of examples so don't worry and please release it, i'm now kind of hyped about it and would really love to play it)) :)
You don't hype up somebody about the game you make and then says you won't release it :D
Annie2
n00b

Post by Annie2 »

Maximmum wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 am
Annie2 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm

No he's actually wrong, as long as you don't have money from this game and release for free you won't be sued, i know lots of examples so don't worry and please release it, i'm now kind of hyped about it and would really love to play it)) :)
You don't hype up somebody about the game you make and then says you won't release it :D
Oh, so good. There won't be any problems as long as I don't make any money of it, good to know that! :).

The game that I am working on is based on a fictional war between NATO and Soviet Union, but there will be characters that are not related to the story that the game is based on, such as The Joker, Clown, Santa man, Snowman etc.. and if you guys say that it won't be a problem having Clementine in it, then her character will be a part of that. Of course there will be credit given to the game, TWD and Telltale.

And I wouldn't be surprised if some of you here have already heard of RSR, it's a old project that I have been working on since 2015.

The game is on IndieDB, I'll show soon screenshots and videos of the gameplay, maybe I'll show Clementine in some of the gameplays too ;):
https://www.indiedb.com/games/red-squad-reborn
Diatribal
n00b

Post by Diatribal »

Maximmum wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 amNo he's actually wrong, as long as you don't have money from this game and release for free you won't be sued, i know lots of examples so don't worry and please release it, i'm now kind of hyped about it and would really love to play it)) :)
Perhaps if you're so willing to irresponsibly offer your "professional legal advice", you could explain your professional background or how you are so certain that a game developer could use intellectually protected, copyrighted material from another game studio?!! Please enlighten us to these "lots of examples" that you mention where a game studio or developer has used copyrighted assets from another studio, without permission, legally??? I am sorry, but I suspect that you don't know what you are talking about, at all. I also suspect that you're probably some irresponsible teenager/kid who is more "hyped" about playing an unreleased game than you are about the developer putting themselves at legal risk by releasing a game that uses copyrighted material!

I can't wait to hear of these examples of games that have been legally released, that use other copyrighted assets from other games, without permission! :lol:
Annie2
n00b

Post by Annie2 »

Diatribal wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 am
Maximmum wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 amNo he's actually wrong, as long as you don't have money from this game and release for free you won't be sued, i know lots of examples so don't worry and please release it, i'm now kind of hyped about it and would really love to play it)) :)
Perhaps if you're so willing to irresponsibly offer your "professional legal advice", you could explain your professional background or how you are so certain that a game developer could use intellectually protected, copyrighted material from another game studio?!! Please enlighten us to these "lots of examples" that you mention where a game studio or developer has used copyrighted assets from another studio, without permission, legally??? I am sorry, but I suspect that you don't know what you are talking about, at all. I also suspect that you're probably some irresponsible teenager/kid who is more "hyped" about playing an unreleased game than you are about the developer putting themselves at legal risk by releasing a game that uses copyrighted material!

I can't wait to hear of these examples of games that have been legally released, that use other copyrighted assets from other games, without permission! :lol:
At this point I don't really know to believe who and to say who is right or wrong, but thanks guys for your advices, really. No need to get mad over it or anything, I don't want this to go from a question that I asked to a problem between you guys.

Anyway, have a good day :)
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Diatribal wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 am

Didnt you basically start out by saying you're not a legal expert? Yet somehow he needs to be one? I'm no legal expert either and dont assume that what I'm talking about is 100% correct.. Oh and when did he say "without permission", I must've missed that part, also there's not really been any game developer to release games for free and use somebody elses work because it's just easier making your own work than using somebody elses. (also why does everybody call somebody an immature kid when told they're wrong? If this were facebook, you'd be insulting his profile picture lol).

What you said has no real value, sure it was actually a thing that happened but I think it was only a legal issue due to the game being sold as *shrug* an 18? (I forget the american age ratings) rather than an R. But back then there was that lawyer who went after every video game that could potentially be modded to include sex, like the Sims.. but that guy was eventually banned from taking matters like that to court. (unless he was disbarred completely). You could also make the case that people could potentially extract the models from your game and sell them, you'd be to blame for that more than the sex thing.

Technically it's illegal to use any video game property free or otherwise without proper permission as it states in every Terms of Service in any video game. All games state in their TOS that:
"you may not: copy the Software except to make archival or backup copies as may be permitted by law; modify or adapt the Software or merge it into another program or create derivative works based on the Software; reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or make any attempt to discover the source code of the Software; exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose"

https://telltale.com/tos/

There's been a few modders on dA who've actually asked for permission to extract models and use in programs like XNALara or Garry's Mod and been granted it, though I dont think they've been allowed to share them, there's also a lot of modders on dA who've been asked to take down their content by Sony, Nintendo etc, and eventually banned from the website (I think there's like a 3 strikes policy). So asking them for permission first is the way to go. Though in this case it'll be Skybound you'll need to ask.
Diatribal
n00b

Post by Diatribal »

Tydeus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 pmDidnt you basically start out by saying you're not a legal expert? Yet somehow he needs to be one? I'm no legal expert either and dont assume that what I'm talking about is 100% correct.. Oh and when did he say "without permission", I must've missed that part, also there's not really been any game developer to release games for free and use somebody elses work because it's just easier making your own work than using somebody elses. (also why does everybody call somebody an immature kid when told they're wrong? If this were facebook, you'd be insulting his profile picture lol).

What you said has no real value, sure it was actually a thing that happened but I think it was only a legal issue due to the game being sold as *shrug* an 18? (I forget the american age ratings) rather than an R. But back then there was that lawyer who went after every video game that could potentially be modded to include sex, like the Sims.. but that guy was eventually banned from taking matters like that to court. (unless he was disbarred completely). You could also make the case that people could potentially extract the models from your game and sell them, you'd be to blame for that more than the sex thing.

Technically it's illegal to use any video game property free or otherwise without proper permission as it states in every Terms of Service in any video game. All games state in their TOS that:
"you may not: copy the Software except to make archival or backup copies as may be permitted by law; modify or adapt the Software or merge it into another program or create derivative works based on the Software; reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or make any attempt to discover the source code of the Software; exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose"

There's been a few modders on dA who've actually asked for permission to extract models and use in programs like XNALara or Garry's Mod and been granted it, though I dont think they've been allowed to share them, there's also a lot of modders on dA who've been asked to take down their content by Sony, Nintendo etc, and eventually banned from the website (I think there's like a 3 strikes policy). So asking them for permission first is the way to go. Though in this case it'll be Skybound you'll need to ask.
I literally cannot be bothered to waste any more of my time writing and defending the interests of someone who has been irresponsibly misinformed. You're clearly unable to recognise my decency and good intention of looking out for Annie2 from potential future damages based on the inexperienced brain-farts of yourself and Maximmum:
Tydeus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 pm You're fine as long as you dont make money doing it.
Tydeus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 pmI'm no legal expert either and dont assume that what I'm talking about is 100% correct..
Annie2 had asked a question and whilst I am no legal professional and stated that in my reply, it doesn't mean that I am inexperienced enough not to know that what she was asking was most likely illegal. She asked a question and I answered it. I didn't have to answer it at all, I could've just ignored it. What Annie2 decides to do with my answer is completely up to her/him, as are the consequences of her/his decision. It won't affect me either way, but I thought I would offer a friendly word of advice for consideration, as there are potential legal risks.
Tydeus wrote:Oh and when did he say "without permission"
He didn't say "without permission", but he answered Annie2's question which was about using game assets without permission and he answered it "wrong" himself, as you actually proved in your response! :lol:
Tydeus wrote:Technically it's illegal to use any video game property free or otherwise without proper permission as it states in every Terms of Service in any video game. All games state in their TOS that:

Hahaha, I would say that "what you said has no real value", but in fact all you've done is reinforce my point! :lol: Even using legal ToS to make my point even more valid! :lol: :lol: :lol: I think you're a bit confused as to who's side you're on?! :lol:

Anyway, I'll sign off with more of your "valuable" confusions...
Tydeus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 pm You're fine as long as you dont make money doing it.
Tydeus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 pmI'm no legal expert either and dont assume that what I'm talking about is 100% correct..
Tydeus wrote: So asking them for permission first is the way to go. Though in this case it'll be Skybound you'll need to ask.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Okay, pretend I'm "The Dude" from Big Lebowski on how my "calm" is 24/7, I never intend to upset anybody or act like I'm raging or anything. This is just me explaining what I said because I'm not a dick. Your "good intentions" turned into insults so I commented.

I get it, you feel backed into a corner assuming I'm trying to defend someone or insult your intelligence or whatever. I didnt back anybody up other than the fact that you where being a little bitch about it. (especially with the "hahaha :D" messages, whats that? "ner ner ner I'm right and you're wrong!" that's pretty immature)
Tydeus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 pmDidnt you basically start out by saying you're not a legal expert? Yet somehow he needs to be one? -snip- (also why does everybody call somebody an immature kid when told they're wrong? If this were facebook, you'd be insulting his profile picture lol).
I said "You're fine as long as you dont make money doing it." which is correct, and the short answer, but asking them for permission first is the way to go to avoid companies who might be butthurt about using property like that.

"what you said has no real value" was in relation to the "Hot Coffee" comment, that doesnt have any merrit. It was just some asshat trying to find a way to hurt various game developers. Jack somebody.. I forget. But what I said had no reinforcement to what you said, just that it's a non-issue because anything can be turned into anything. I dont think it's possible to be sued if you#ve released something for free, unless it was offensive in some way.

Basically, only a little of what I said was directed at you, I was just explaining the "long answer", which obviously said you're right, and again no I wasnt saying you were wrong on all occasions.

But whatever, act superior if you'd like, I was just taken the wrong way. I cba with any further discussions, lets try not get this thread closed. At least send PMs.
sugarysyringe
beginner

Post by sugarysyringe »

Instead of fighting, I have a question. Is there a way to separate UVs in blender or 3ds max? I'm porting the TWD:TFS models to MMD, and MMD struggles with transparency unless the hair mesh or whatever is split up into every possible section. Buuut the hair's uv is overlapping a lot, making it hard to do so.