Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

The Ward 2000 / Music rip

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Dragosh
ultra-n00b

The Ward 2000 / Music rip

Post by Dragosh »

So there is a game by the name "The Ward" , kinda old game from 2000, i am trying to extract the music from it but i have not managed to do so with public available tools.

The data is stored in .RES files (at least i think so), i do have the copy of the game on CD, i dont know if sharing the files is allowed, if someone could try to extract them themselves ?
Pingu
veteran

Re: The Ward 2000 / Music rip

Post by Pingu »

Sharing files is allowed... please upload some samples so we may help you :)
Dragosh
ultra-n00b

Post by Dragosh »

Here i have uploaded the 4 files that are zipped

https://multiup.org/download/168f8f476f ... 7Z-001.zip
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

The music files are all in WARD101.RES and WARD102.RES

The file RESDIR.DAT on CD 1 contains an index to all 4 .RES files. From what I can tell, the music is 16-bit PCM (little endian), stereo, 22050 Hz. These files don't have recognisable headers, but do have a few bytes indicating the audio rate and number of channels at the start of each file, so it's possible to construct a RIFF/WAVE header to play them normally in something like foobar.

I could possibly conjure up a small program to extract these and add a WAVE header ...
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Dragosh
ultra-n00b

Post by Dragosh »

I could upload all the files from the game if you need any more ?
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

I have all of the files :-)

Attached is my simple command line program to extract all of the audio and add a WAVE header. It's fairly simple, but let me know if it works, or if you have any problems.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I see a vision rising, dreary, Fading in as children play twilight games, In the town called Ordinary, An eye of light reveals a gateway to doomsday
Dragosh
ultra-n00b

Post by Dragosh »

Files got extracted and i ended up with 683 separate wav files all going in sequence,

seeing and listening to how the music is playing it leaves me to believe that the game picks which tracks to play from a "table" and loop from track number x to track number x

So for starters i can say that the extractor did his utmost excellence with the wav extraction, i recognise music and other sound effects files, and ill have to go through all the 683 files :).
DKDave
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by DKDave »

Thanks. Glad to be of assistance. Enjoy the audio!

Dave