Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Tecosaurus
ultra-n00b

Re: Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post by Tecosaurus »

RandomTBush wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:02 am I should have some time next week to try again with figuring out this rigging nonsense.
Good luck! You're doing the lords work here! Take all of the time you need!
Maximmum
advanced

Post by Maximmum »

My bet is that the update will be released somewhere in the middle of the month! :wink:
Annie2
n00b

Post by Annie2 »

Maximmum wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm My bet is that the update will be released somewhere in the middle of the month! :wink:
I hope :D
Annie2
n00b

Post by Annie2 »

Anything this week?
Tecosaurus
ultra-n00b

Post by Tecosaurus »

Annie2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:03 am Anything this week?
RTB said he may have had time to work on it this week. All we can do is hope for good progress! But as the famous Chef God once, said "You can have it now, or you can have it right"

With a little patience, we'll have a top notch script ready for us to use in no time!
fil1969
veteran

Post by fil1969 »

Tecosaurus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:34 pm
RTB said he may have had time to work on it this week. All we can do is hope for good progress! But as the famous Chef God once, said "You can have it now, or you can have it right"

With a little patience, we'll have a top notch script ready for us to use in no time!
Gordon?
Migga
ultra-n00b

Post by Migga »

Chef God Omar
sugarysyringe
beginner

Post by sugarysyringe »

Tecosaurus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:34 pm

Nicely said, lol.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

I get the impression that each one of these comments are (not so) cleverly disguised bumps lol.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

*shrug*

Either way, I'm back to work on this finally. And thankfully I found a model that's pretty much identical between TWD3 and TWD4 (the hare), so that seems like the best starting point for determining how to fix this issue.

(EDIT: I'm definitely getting somewhere with this now! I've so far got two-bone weights reading correctly.)
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

RandomTBush wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:13 pm *shrug*

Either way, I'm back to work on this finally. And thankfully I found a model that's pretty much identical between TWD3 and TWD4 (the hare), so that seems like the best starting point for determining how to fix this issue.

(EDIT: I'm definitely getting somewhere with this now! I've so far got two-bone weights reading correctly.)
That hare has really been through the ringer in terms of reuse. Started off in Game of Thrones, got reused for TWD3, then again for TWD4. I don't think telltale ever reused a model that much (maybe the raven from TWD got reused in TWAU and GOT??)

Regardless, glad to see you're making progress and I hope the rest remains as straightforward!
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

The rigging issue has finally been solved. I'll just copy-paste my comments from the script regarding it:
"Why fix what isn't broken?" didn't apply to Telltale, it seems.
This was way too frustrating to figure out, so I'll grumble here to explain how this crap works.
First, you have to read all four weight bytes as a "long" value, and then break that apart into 2/10/10/10-bit binary segments.
Those are used for weights 2, 4, 3 and 2 respectively. Why is 2 listed twice? The upper 2 bits add an extra 0.125 each to the second weight's value (0.375 max).
And then the three sets of 10 bits each are the weights in descending order (#4 -> #3 -> #2), and need to be divided by 1023 (0x3FF) and then again for the following:
2nd = divide by 8 (0.125 max) + 0.125/0.25/0.375 from the upper bits, 3rd = divide by 3 (0.333 max), 4th = divide by 4 (0.25 max).
And finally weight #1 is the remainder, 1.0 minus #2, #3 and #4 combined.
In retrospect, I can see how this works... but what, exactly, was the problem with using float values for this sorta thing again???
Either way, thanks to that recycled hare model for being there, making me not want to rip out my hair.
Or, in scripting terms:

Code: Select all

WeightVars = readlong f
Weight2 = (((bit.and (WeightVars) 0x3FF) as float / 1023) / 8) + ((bit.shift WeightVars -30) as float / 8)
Weight3 = ((bit.and (bit.shift WeightVars -10) 0x3FF) as float / 1023) / 3
Weight4 = ((bit.and (bit.shift WeightVars -20) 0x3FF) as float / 1023) / 4
Weight1 = (1 as float - Weight2 - Weight3 - Weight4)
Now once I get static meshes working correctly, I can finally release the update! @_@
Smolgreen
n00b

Post by Smolgreen »

RandomTBush wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:08 pm The rigging issue has finally been solved. I'll just copy-paste my comments from the script regarding it:
This was way too frustrating to figure out, so I'll grumble here to explain how this crap works.
First, you have to read all four weight bytes as a "long" value, and then break that apart into 2/10/10/10-bit binary segments.
Those are used for weights 2, 4, 3 and 2 respectively. Why is 2 listed twice? The upper 2 bits add an extra 0.125 each to the second weight's value (0.375 max).
And then the three sets of 10 bits each are the weights in descending order (#4 -> #3 -> #2), and need to be divided by 1023 (0x3FF) and then again for the following:
2nd = divide by 8 (0.125 max) + 0.125/0.25/0.375 from the upper bits, 3rd = divide by 3 (0.333 max), 4th = divide by 4 (0.25 max).
In retrospect, I can see how this works... but what, exactly, was the problem with using float values for this sorta thing again???
Either way, thanks to that recycled hare model for being there, making me not want to rip out my hair.
Or, in scripting terms:

WeightVars = readlong f
Weight2 = (((bit.and (WeightVars) 0x3FF) as float / 1023) / 8) + ((bit.shift WeightVars -30) as float / 8)
Now once I get static meshes working correctly, I can finally release the update! @_@
Nice!
Really looking forward to it
Annie2
n00b

Post by Annie2 »

RandomTBush wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:08 pm The rigging issue has finally been solved. I'll just copy-paste my comments from the script regarding it:
Or, in scripting terms:

WeightVars = readlong f
Great! You are making very good process :D
Diatribal
n00b

Post by Diatribal »

Wondering if any of you kind folks could help me please?

I've managed to extract and import the d3dmesh and skl files from Back to the Future PS4 version, but when I used quickbms to convert the D3Dtx files, it did it, but the converted dds files were all scrambled and screwed up? Am I doing something wrong, or is it a limitation of the Telltale_D3DTX_TftBL_GoT_MCSM_BttFPS4.bms script? It should work right?

Any help much appreciated!

Here's what the DDS's look like:

Thank you!