Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
sugarysyringe
beginner

Re: Telltale Games "Almost-All-In-One" Model Importer

Post by sugarysyringe »

quinlinkin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:27 am please excuse my general lack of know-how about all of this, but with the impending update to the model importer, will we then be able to use these season 4 files with xnalara? or are these files not compatible with that specific program regardless of the update?
I'm assuming the tool will export the models to an FBX format, or some other usable format.
I don't know anything about XNA, I used it a long time ago, but I never made models for it :(. Sorry I can't be of help.
meganmi
advanced

Post by meganmi »

quinlinkin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:27 am please excuse my general lack of know-how about all of this, but with the impending update to the model importer, will we then be able to use these season 4 files with xnalara? or are these files not compatible with that specific program regardless of the update?
The update will be so that you can import the models into 3DS Max, to which you can then convert into a format that XNALara can open.
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

Once the files are in 3DS, what I do is goto file > export and save as fbx (though I think you need to download the file extension? I forget), then what I do to get into XNA is download Noesis and convert FBX to mesh.ascii

I'll end up getting everything and sharing it for XNA anyway
https://www.deviantart.com/akandrov

I uploaded quite a bit there but I gave up temporarily to wait for the update lol
The Polish Army
ultra-n00b

Post by The Polish Army »

If i download for episode 4, it means that i download for the others too?
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

The Polish Army wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:05 pm If i download for episode 4, it means that i download for the others too?
You'd only get what's in the files for episode 4, so you'd get most of the stuff but it'd miss out stuff like the Lee and Clementine flashback models and characters who don't appear in the episode. It doesn't take too long to download all 4 zips and I'd recommend merging all the folders so you have one folder per character with everything in it.
The Polish Army
ultra-n00b

jayko wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 pm
The Polish Army wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:05 pm If i download for episode 4, it means that i download for the others too?
You'd only get what's in the files for episode 4, so you'd get most of the stuff but it'd miss out stuff like the Lee and Clementine flashback models and characters who don't appear in the episode. It doesn't take too long to download all 4 zips and I'd recommend merging all the folders so you have one folder per character with everything in it.
OK, thanks :D :)
The Polish Army
ultra-n00b

Maybe you know how to import/export these files into 3ds max?? Because I would like to use the Louis model in a different game (as a mod).
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

The Polish Army wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:53 pm Maybe you know how to import/export these files into 3ds max?? Because I would like to use the Louis model in a different game (as a mod).
That's what we're waiting on the importer update to be able to do. Hopefully it's not too far away.
sugarysyringe
beginner

Post by sugarysyringe »

I hope it's out sometime soon. I just love how the final season looks, compared to the other seasons.
jayko
advanced

Post by jayko »

sugarysyringe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:36 pm I hope it's out sometime soon. I just love how the final season looks, compared to the other seasons.
Me too. I think the best we can do is keep the thread active and let RTB know we're looking forward to the update.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

Good news, I found a method that works for the texture names:

Compiling the respective hash-and-filename pairs into a separate "database" binary file and then building an array through the script does the trick! I honestly don't know why I didn't try doing this earlier.

But yeah, TWD: The Final Season will be the first to use this in the upcoming update (as well as the model optimizations), and I'll go back to the older games and give them the same treatment later (as I mentioned earlier).
Tydeus
veteran

Post by Tydeus »

RandomTBush wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:28 pm Compiling the respective hash-and-filename pairs into a separate "database" binary file and then building an array through the script does the trick! I honestly don't know why I didn't try doing this earlier.
I honestly dont know why either! (I had no idea what you said lol, maybe)

This is great news, I was wanting to start on the older games myself but it makes no difference to me :P
sugarysyringe
beginner

Post by sugarysyringe »

I have no idea what this means, but I'm excited to see some progress!
Escope12
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Escope12 »

I’m looking forward to it.
RandomTBush
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by RandomTBush »

sugarysyringe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 amI have no idea what this means, but I'm excited to see some progress!
Basically, instead of having a ton of value checks added directly to the script itself like I have for the bone names currently:

Code: Select all

fn BoneRename bk1 = (
	case of (
	default: (BoneName = ("Bone " + bk1 as string))
	(bk1 == 1985717350):(BoneName = "root")
	(bk1 == 1635567852):(BoneName = "spine1")
	(bk1 == -1690135719):(BoneName = "spine2")
	(bk1 == 849913290):(BoneName = "spine3")
	(bk1 == -959180128):(BoneName = "spine4")
	(bk1 == 1866343475):(BoneName = "spine5")
	(bk1 == -1795129466):(BoneName = "spine6")
	(bk1 == -147023454):(BoneName = "neck")
	(et cetera, et cetera)
)
...I can just simplify the script to the following instead:

Code: Select all

TexHashNum = readlong db
for x = 1 to TexHashNum do(
	TexHash2 = readlong db
	TexHash1 = readlong db
	TexString = readstring db
	append TexHash_array (TexHash_struct TexHash1:TexHash1 TexHash2:TexHash2 TexString:TexString)
)
...and supply these additional files with the next script version, which are read in a similar manner to the model files themselves:
(Most of those are currently empty until I generate the pairs for the rest of the games, but you get the idea, I think.)