Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Voice Audio?

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
greydays
ultra-n00b

Metal Gear Solid 4 Voice Audio?

Post by greydays »

I've had some decent luck extracting audio from MGS4: Guns of the Patriots, but after a point I'm stumped. I'm curious, has anyone figured out how to get all the in-game dialogue?

For reference, I used demux_dat (available at hcs64.com) to extract the MTA2 files, then using the mgs4 decoder (available here: https://app.box.com/s/9en2aqajomma0rthxzv79ge506u3gb31) to convert those MTA2 files to WAVs. This worked fine on vox.dat, bmg.dat, etc. So far so good.

But here's the problem: from vox.dat, I only found the audio for Snake's radio conversations. I'm really after the characters' lines during combat and other gameplay, but I can't find those anywhere, and I'm stumped. I checked the other .dat files but could only find music & cutscene audio.

Has anyone managed to find the voice files from normal gameplay? I'd love to hear from anyone who has.

My guess is that it's in the "stage" .dat files, but I can't figure out how to get into those. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 Voice Audio?

Post by Devilot »

Do you still have the original MGS4 Mta2 files? When I extracted the OST and uploaded it, I made sure to keep a copy, because VGMstream can now play MTA2.
greydays
ultra-n00b

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 Voice Audio?

Post by greydays »

I don't have the Mta2 files on hand, but I can easily extract them again. Those weren't the problem for me, though; I can play the Mta2 files just fine.

My challenge is just finding/extracting the right Mta2 files, i.e. the in-game combat lines & such.
As I mentioned, my best guess is that they're in the "stage" dat files which are harder to extract. BUT here's another possibility: maybe the "demux_dat" extractor wasn't getting all the Mta2 files out of "vox.dat"? It only extracted about 800 files every time I tried, so perhaps it was cutting off partway through.

If anyone else has tinkered with these dat files (or maybe had a similar problem with "demux_dat" only working partway), I'd love to hear some insight. Thanks!