Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Should we upgrade the forum to phpBB 3.2.5?

The Off-Topic Forum - Anything goes! As long as it's legal(ish). Things that made you scream "Holy Cow!"

Should we upgrade to phpBB 3.2.5?

Yes, I don't care about the Thanks for posts
17%
Yes, but preserve the Thanks for posts
55%
No, why should we?
7%
No, I don't like the Prosilver style.
21%

Total votes: 29

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Should we upgrade the forum to phpBB 3.2.5?

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Hi everyone,

A quick poll to ask you XeNTaX members if you are okay with upgrading the forum to phpBB 3.2.5 (the latest).
This means the style will become Prosilver, and I may not be able to retain the Thanks for Posts functionality.

However, it will add a heap of other stuff and fix some longstanding issues.

Let me know in the poll!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Re: Should we upgrade the forum to phpBB 3.2.5?

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

If you vote "no", it would help if you also leave a comment explaining your reasoning a bit better.

From a security perspective, I think the forum should be upgraded regardless; the only reason we haven't been pwned by a security exploit that was patched in some later version of phpBB is probably largely down to luck (though admittedly I haven't read through the changelogs for the releases between our version and the latest, so any patched security issues might be more theoretical than actual).
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

it is done ! :) [bruce]
mono24
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by mono24 »

30years young and a new facelift, how nice is this, thank you for your continuum support and longevity of the forum gents.
I am proud to call this my home and to be able to spend time here when I can, and help with what I can other users as well.

Cheers.
rengareng
veteran

Post by rengareng »

Is there any future plan to use https?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

rengareng wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:10 am Is there any future plan to use https?
Yes it's back on now. Hadn't done that yet. :)
Bigchillghost
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Bigchillghost »

Is there a reason why the connection appears to be not secure in Firefox?
security.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May you find peace in this puzzle-solving game. Say it with action: click the Image when you get helped.:)
zaykho
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by zaykho »

: [ Damn I should have seen this poll before.

I voted
I will say that, I prefer the old style, it was less common and more "xentax". Right now it look like way too generic and too bland.

Like we are used to say : " It was better before " :(
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Bigchillghost wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:48 am Is there a reason why the connection appears to be not secure in Firefox?
security.jpg
Yes, because users posted images that were uploaded at non-SSL locations. Since we have many posts here, there will always be posts that link to a site with http instead of https. We can force those URLs to link to https instead, but that will only work if those sites actually have https.

So if you link to an image in your post from a site that is not secure, this forum will be marked as having Mixed Content.
Basically the devs of Firefox think it is good to mark forums like this as Mixed Content with a warning, because someone posted a link to a non-secure site in a post. Thus, many forums have this warning. Of course, better browers would simply block malware appearing through an image and not nag about this, making a secure site look bad. On the other hand, we could probably force users to only post images when from a secure site.
Oh well.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

zaykho wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 pm : [ Damn I should have seen this poll before.

I voted
I will say that, I prefer the old style, it was less common and more "xentax". Right now it look like way too generic and too bland.

Like we are used to say : " It was better before " :(
Yeah, if there are people willing to build a new template, let them step forward. It should be easily turned on or off, as a requirement.
Bigchillghost
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Bigchillghost »

Mr.Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 pmBasically the devs of Firefox think it is good to mark forums like this as Mixed Content with a warning, because someone posted a link to a non-secure site in a post. Thus, many forums have this warning.
I see. So long as there's no actual security issue it's fine with me. [roll]
Thanks again for the clarification.
May you find peace in this puzzle-solving game. Say it with action: click the Image when you get helped.:)
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Bigchillghost wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:10 am I see. So long as there's no actual security issue it's fine with me. [roll]
Thanks again for the clarification.
If you feel like it, you can always go through your old posts and check any images, updating them to HTTPS where possible (or reuploading them to a service with HTTPS support and updating the relevant post(s) accordingly). Obviously this won't make a huge difference, but it's still something, and anyone can do this with their own posts.
Welcome to Xentax!

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
Bigchillghost
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Bigchillghost »

Dinoguy1000 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 am If you feel like it, you can always go through your old posts and check any images, updating them to HTTPS where possible (or reuploading them to a service with HTTPS support and updating the relevant post(s) accordingly).
It's done. :roll:
One problem remains though. I can't change what other users already quoted from my old posts.
Dinoguy1000 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 am Obviously this won't make a huge difference, but it's still something, and anyone can do this with their own posts.
If there're some tricks that can help users locate to those posts easier, maybe they'll have more desire to do it. Otherwise it would be a huge pain to figure out in which post one could ever placed an insecure link.
zaykho
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by zaykho »

Mr.Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 pm
Yeah, if there are people willing to build a new template, let them step forward. It should be easily turned on or off, as a requirement.
Do we still have access/picture from the old theme ?

I never made a template with PHPbb before, but I'm a web developer, so I don't think it will be that much of a trouble. ( I can already make a stylus addon script if needed. )
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

Bigchillghost wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm One problem remains though. I can't change what other users already quoted from my old posts.
Aah, good point... If I had a good handle on how the report system works, I would suggest to report those posts so mod could update the link(s) in them (this would also work for any other posts). However, if reporting impacts the poster's account in some way (e.g. if we had a karma system, and reported posts counted as negative karma), this wouldn't work so well.
Bigchillghost wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm If there're some tricks that can help users locate to those posts easier, maybe they'll have more desire to do it. Otherwise it would be a huge pain to figure out in which post one could ever placed an insecure link.
There's none I'm aware of, unfortunately. It's somewhat easier if the person hasn't posted many images over time, but that'll be small consolation to active image posters who want to help clean up their own post history. At least you can view all of your posts from your profile... kind of. phpBB just isn't designed for this type of thing.
zaykho wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:19 pm Do we still have access/picture from the old theme ?

I never made a template with PHPbb before, but I'm a web developer, so I don't think it will be that much of a trouble. ( I can already make a stylus addon script if needed. )
Your best bet would be probably to see what's available on the Internet Archive; that way, you could grab the actual HTML/CSS instead of just having to recreate the appearance from screenshots.
Welcome to Xentax!