Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - demo PAK file

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
MJones
ultra-n00b

Re: Resident Evil 2 Remake - demo PAK file

Post by MJones »

Well I tried with quickbms and I got a tons of files from all types: Tex, Dat, Pfb, Sbd, _Sv etc. I don't really know how to open the files with all these different files. I just want to use some stuff for enviromental purposes, not really into characters models.
completenoob
beginner

Post by completenoob »

Those files should be correct (judging by the names you've mentioned). There should also be .mes/mesh files these. These are the game models (both characters and props/environments).

If it's a bit confusing to you, I would advise using the max script zaramot provided (this thread - page 2). Even after all the work to get models to load in blender and unpacking with SGM I ended up using max. For characters at least it's painless. Load script, load mes file, done. Loads only the Lod0 with bones and skin weights too. Static meshes as well. I was able to load the police station main hall for example.
MJones
ultra-n00b

Post by MJones »

completenoob wrote:Those files should be correct (judging by the names you've mentioned). There should also be .mes/mesh files these. These are the game models (both characters and props/environments).

If it's a bit confusing to you, I would advise using the max script zaramot provided (this thread - page 2). Even after all the work to get models to load in blender and unpacking with SGM I ended up using max. For characters at least it's painless. Load script, load mes file, done. Loads only the Lod0 with bones and skin weights too. Static meshes as well. I was able to load the police station main hall for example.
So the .mes files (which im pretty sure I saw a few) are the models im looking for. If I use the max zaramot script do I have to unpack the pak file all over again? I would be very grateful if you could explain me how these things work or send a link for a guide, I never tried to see the models from something as complex as the RE engine can be so it's pretty confusing. At least I know the .mes files are the models im looking for.
completenoob
beginner

Post by completenoob »

If you have unpacked everything using the Quickbms and the file list and you don't want textures, just the meshes then you're fine using just the max script. Open max, run the script and point to the .mes/mesh files. For characters it even imports bones and skin weights.

If you need the textures (really low resolution by the way) or want to use blender to open the files then you will need the SGM provided on this thread. Basically I used it for the textures because I prefer using max as the script loads only the Lod0. It was cool to see how far they go into optimization with the Lods (in blender) but other than that I prefer max. For a guide/tutorial on how to use SGM and blender download the latest version here and unrar it (images are inside). Hope it helps: http://xnalara.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t ... 6707f3057e
devilsnake88
beginner

Post by devilsnake88 »

Code: Select all

#IDK
        elif dxtType == 72:
            ddsFmt = noesis.NOESISTEX_DXT1
        #Cubemaps
        elif dxtType == 95:
            ddsData = rapi.imageDecodeDXT(ddsData, ddsWidth, ddsHeight, noesis.FOURCC_BC6S)
            ddsFmt = noesis.NOESISTEX_RGBA32
        #Colorcubes
        elif dxtType == 29:
            ddsFmt = noesis.NOESISTEX_RGBA32
Here is some things I've found for the Noesis Python script "fmt_RE2_REMAKE_tex.py"
I'm not 100% sure.
Scobalula
ultra-n00b

Post by Scobalula »

completenoob wrote:If you have unpacked everything using the Quickbms and the file list and you don't want textures, just the meshes then you're fine using just the max script. Open max, run the script and point to the .mes/mesh files. For characters it even imports bones and skin weights.

If you need the textures (really low resolution by the way) or want to use blender to open the files then you will need the SGM provided on this thread. Basically I used it for the textures because I prefer using max as the script loads only the Lod0. It was cool to see how far they go into optimization with the Lods (in blender) but other than that I prefer max. For a guide/tutorial on how to use SGM and blender download the latest version here and unrar it (images are inside). Hope it helps: http://xnalara.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t ... 6707f3057e
With regards to the textures, you are probably running into the same issue I ran into when I started working on my own RE7 tools, there is a separate folder for the textures called "streaming" which contains the high resolution streamed textures (sticking "streaming" folder between the path and natives/x64 should give the correct texture).

On the textures again, the type/format directly correlates with DirectX's DXGI_FORMAT enumerator for anyone concerned (from SDK):

https://pastebin.com/tkCT58bQ
Anthony7888
ultra-n00b

Post by Anthony7888 »

I can have the max script provided by zaramot

for Resident Evil 2 Reamke and how do you do with texture

of all types: Tex, Dat, Pfb, Sbd, _Sv etc.
completenoob
beginner

Post by completenoob »

Scobalula wrote:
completenoob wrote:If you have unpacked everything using the Quickbms and the file list and you don't want textures, just the meshes then you're fine using just the max script. Open max, run the script and point to the .mes/mesh files. For characters it even imports bones and skin weights.

With regards to the textures, you are probably running into the same issue I ran into when I started working on my own RE7 tools, there is a separate folder for the textures called "streaming" which contains the high resolution streamed textures (sticking "streaming" folder between the path and natives/x64 should give the correct texture).

On the textures again, the type/format directly correlates with DirectX's DXGI_FORMAT enumerator for anyone concerned (from SDK):

https://pastebin.com/tkCT58bQ
Oh that explains it! I knew they had to have different sized textures. I will have test it now :-) thank you!
Anthony7888 wrote:I can have the max script provided by zaramot

for Resident Evil 2 Reamke and how do you do with texture

of all types: Tex, Dat, Pfb, Sbd, _Sv etc.
Have a lool at the previois posts dor a detailed explanation and tutorial. You can use SGM to extract just the textures.
Anthony7888
ultra-n00b

Post by Anthony7888 »

thanks i can just have the script for the mes.mesh because i do not find it a link to download it thanks
completenoob
beginner

Post by completenoob »

Anthony7888 wrote:thanks i can just have the script for the mes.mesh because i do not find it a link to download it thanks
It's on the 2nd page of this thread from the user zaramot.
Anthony7888
ultra-n00b

Post by Anthony7888 »

thank you
Anthony7888
ultra-n00b

Post by Anthony7888 »

how to have and open the texture
MJones
ultra-n00b

Post by MJones »

Well I kinda want the textures too, a model without texture wouldn't be that useful xD. Is there any way I can find the model with his texture in the files? Also there isn't a script or something that extracts the files with the names? It would be very difficult find something when there is only a series of numbers as a name.
TTR
ultra-n00b

Post by TTR »

zaramot wrote:Here's "alpha" maxscript and Noesis plugin for RE2 R, if anyone want to test it out. Skinned meshes should work, static partially xD Don't have a lot of samples. It's for those of you who prefer using 3ds max instead of something else :)
Hey, is there anything I can do to help get static meshes working? I'm really looking to get static meshes out of it. It seems like the vertices are connecting in a really weird order and it's making the meshes come out really distorted and jumbled up, with the wrong vertices making weird faces.
zaramot
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by zaramot »

Sure, send me some problematic models I'll see what I can do! But also note, that there's an alternative tool (and you can use Blender), just saying maybe you don't know :)
Making model-import scripts, PM