Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

3D Model Researcher - extract 3D models with Python

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
usabdt
advanced

Re: 3D Model Researcher - extract 3D models with Python

Post by usabdt »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beedy
advanced

Post by Beedy »

There is a bug in Xp version of Model Researcher v2.4.2. My model is big endian and vertices is half-float and faces is short. Trying to toggle endian there is no effect and values doesn't change. Setting type to float endian change works properly. I don't know how it works in latest version v2.5 because win7/win8/win10 version of Model Researher doest't work with Wine on Mac.

Edit. Endian change works with faces but it doesn't work with half-float vertices.
Lazov
veteran

Post by Lazov »

Beedy wrote:There is a bug in Xp version of Model Researcher v2.4.2. My model is big endian and vertices is half-float and faces is short. Trying to toggle endian there is no effect and values doesn't change. Setting type to float endian change works properly. I don't know how it works in latest version v2.5 because win7/win8/win10 version of Model Researher doest't work with Wine on Mac.

Edit. Endian change works with faces but it doesn't work with half-float vertices.
Thank you! Bug fixed. Other byte reading errors were also fixed.
The update will appear in the coming days on the site.
GHFear
advanced

Post by GHFear »

Would it be possible to get the skeleton of a character out of the mesh by hand or with the tool in the future?
if there is a way to do it by hand with time and a hex editor? I am more than willing to do it right now.

/GHFear
If you appreciate my work and want to donate:
Paypal: [email protected]
Lazov
veteran

Post by Lazov »

GHFear, I am going to add animation support in the future. But everything is much more complicated there, a lot of data.

I updated the version for Windows XP.
adroduke
n00b

Post by adroduke »

hello,

I was wondering if there was someone that knows about using 3d model researcher and extracts games model. I'm not really familiar with hex code, and there are some models that I would like to obtain (ps2 game models). I'm prepared to pay for your time and would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks
Lazov
veteran

Post by Lazov »

adroduke
It is probably better to write about this in this topic, attaching the model file:
viewforum.php?f=16
Beedy
advanced

Post by Beedy »

Lazov wrote:I updated the version for Windows XP.
Thank you! My last question is about uv’s. I can’t get right values with type Short_sign in MR Xp version. Is short_sign same type than WordUV or Short All in Hex2Obj which I can get right values for Uvs?

My model information
Big Endian
Vertices:
Offset: 0x800
Type: Half-float
Count: 692
Padding 26

Faces: 0x5e80
Count 1536
Type: Short
Format: Tri Strip FF

UVs
Offset: should be 0x810 (Hex2Obj: FVFsize 32, UV pos 16)
Padding: 28

First uv values should be vt 0.753769 0.968872 (Hex2Obj) but I got vt -0,4992 -0,0623 in MR.

I tried to set Vertices type short_sign in MR and ShortALL in Hex2Obj and got same values for vertices. So I think WordUV and Short_sign is same.

What is wrong with uvs?
Model in attachmet if you want to take a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adroduke
n00b

Post by adroduke »

Lazov wrote:adroduke
It is probably better to write about this in this topic, attaching the model file:
viewforum.php?f=16
Cheers
GHFear
advanced

Post by GHFear »

Beedy wrote:
Thank you! My last question is about uv’s. I can’t get right values with type Short_sign in MR Xp version. Is short_sign same type than WordUV or Short All in Hex2Obj which I can get right values for Uvs?

My model information
Big Endian
Vertices:
Offset: 0x800
Type: Half-float
Padding 26

Faces: 0x5e80
Count 1536
Type: Short
Format: Tri Strip FF

UVs
Offset: should be 0x810 (Hex2Obj: FVFsize 32, UV pos 16)
Padding: 28

First uv values should be vt 0.753769 0.968872 (Hex2Obj) but I got vt -0,4992 -0,0623 in MR.

I tried to set Vertices type short_sign in MR and ShortALL in Hex2Obj and got same values for vertices. So I think WordUV and Short_sign is same.

What is wrong with uvs?
Model in attachmet if you want to take a look.
They do not show up correctly on Windows 10 either. I tried for the last 2 hours to get the UVs to show up correctly on that one and it doesn't seem like the correct format for those UVs is supported yet.
Lazov
veteran

Post by Lazov »

Beedy wrote:

Update

Apparently, unsigned Short is used in Hex2Obj when reading textural coordinates. I added a new type to the block UVs - Short. Thanks for finding bugs and flaws!
New versions are available on the site. The update for the Pro version will be released later.
GHFear
advanced

Post by GHFear »

Lazov wrote:
Beedy wrote:

Update

Apparently, unsigned Short is used in Hex2Obj when reading textural coordinates. I added a new type to the block UVs - Short. Thanks for finding bugs and flaws!
New versions are available on the site. The update for the Pro version will be released later.
Thank you Lazov! :D This is just what I need for Skate 1, 2 and 3 world/ level models. They use that type.
Beedy
advanced

Post by Beedy »

Lazov wrote:
Update

Thanks for the quick response. This is a great tool.
Nega
beginner

Post by Nega »

Hey Lazov, much thanks for this great tool, made sure to grab the Pro version to support this!

I'm experiencing seemingly random crashes however, and it's always when i'm prompted to load something like a file or a texture. Sometimes it's fine for a while, and sometimes it crashes within minutes. It can even happen when trying to save something.

If it helps, i'm using Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Lazov
veteran

Post by Lazov »

Nega, maybe the RAM is not enough? Which version crashes? Pro only?