Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

(Xbox) Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge plane models (.x)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
IronArthur
beginner

Re: (Xbox) Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge plane models (

Post by IronArthur »

I´m still haven´t found the universal way of reading the uvs from the game. It works in most models (at least with my strange way of doing) but has some exceptions like the Cinematic Devastator.

@Mrblue630
I´ve attached the pandora zep model like you pm'ed me, it´s a gltf file because that´s the only exporting option i´ve installed on my Unity. This models are embedded in Scene files and i haven´t really finished reading the 100% scene file, it works on static models (buildings) but moveable models they are not placed on the scene BIN file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g9g4vftdca1u ... a.zip?dl=0

In the (0.0.0) position of this screenshot are most of the models you requested, but only parts of the Starker Sturm :

Edit: You´ve been lucky, the sturm is in other scene file (Final_boss.bin) there is the model but it has more parts than it should have because i don´t know what parts are from the boss and what parts are from other models

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6hqmagxvve8i ... m.zip?dl=0
Mrblue630
beginner

Post by Mrblue630 »

I know which models are which parts.
ZepEater_Doors.x
ZepEater_Teeth.x
ZepEater_Arms.x
And all the x's under the name ss_boss (SS is short for lit. Starker Sturm)
Starker Sturm uses a lot of parts from the Zepeater for the side jaws mounted on it.
Wait...
Is that Chicago in the first picture?
Could you send me that? I'd be really interested in taking a look at that since I heard there was a lot of unused content with the level, I'm curious if any of it is in the geometry.

I also did a lot of research into the games development and the models: It appears models were all done and exported with Autodesk Maya 2003. It may be possible to read the models using Maya.
IronArthur
beginner

Post by IronArthur »

They are regular models, you could read them in any program you want you don't need Maya.

If you extract a mission file like the planes bin file, you have every model used in the scene.

When I have some time I will export you the city but I warn you that some of the models are not placed in their positions. And some buildings uvs are just wrong.
Mrblue630
beginner

Post by Mrblue630 »

Fine by me. What I mean though is that all the models were exported to .x using Maya, so it may be possible to find an .x importer for Maya that just does all the hard work, importing the UVS, textures, etc.
Mrblue630
beginner

Post by Mrblue630 »

Oh, another thing! You don't need to export them all as gltf. Just bundle them in UnityPackages, I have unity. I can export scenes (w/ hierachy) into OBJ. With GLTF and me converting to OBJ I lose the hierachy so it all becomes one mesh.

If you could actually do this with the Pandora and Starker Sturm that'd be great so I can tinker with them in Unity before pushing ahead.

And another note, if you have Discord, please add me on there. I'm afraid I'm not notified when this thread gets updated and I may be out of contact for a couple days, but I'll be able to use Discord on my phone. Overall easier to keep in touch.

Revolver Ocelot#6732
IronArthur
beginner

Re: (Xbox) Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge plane models (.x)

Post by IronArthur »

Cosmas47 wrote:Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:29 am Hi Arthur,
I registered today just to ask you about this! I've been reading your post https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17118, looks like you've been making great progress. I'm actually interested in porting the original Crimson Skies to Unity myself. By any chance have you figured out how to extract the ZBD format files?

Philip
Hi, i´ll post here so everyone can read it.

If i´m not mistaken, zdb files are from the PC version of Crimson Skies. This post it´s about Crimson skies from the Xbox.

I´ve never looked into the PC version (even if it´s way better game than the xbox version). Maybe i´ll look into it.

Bye
IronArthur
beginner

Post by IronArthur »

I tried to reverse some of the ZBD files.

interp.zbd it´s a really easy "pak" file, uncompressed and unencrypted.
interpZBD.PNG
The structure is first a definition/index array of files and an offset of the same file, in this case the file is like a hash of words or actions to take like an script language: "GameZReadZBDFile: %MissionZBDFile%"

But it seems like this is only one type of zbd file, the are other type of zbd files with similar but different structure to pak files like textures or whatever. they seem to be nor compressed nor encrypted.

bye,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cosmas47
ultra-n00b

Post by Cosmas47 »

Are you kidding?!?! That's awesome, I'll give that a try this week. With any luck I can export all the game contents. Not that it helps you any but it'll put us closer to a potential port. :D Thanks so much for checking that out, I really appreciate it.
IronArthur
beginner

Post by IronArthur »

Sadly ZBD files are very different between them.

interop.zbd it´s easy as you see.

*textures*.zbd are also easy and the only problem it´s each texture format, most of them are 16bits images (R5G6B5). i´ll post the formatter but it´s very similar of the interop.

games.zbd and cam_anim.zbd are variants of interop, scripts and the likes. But i think this files need to have some meshes for terrain...

planes.zbd it´s my nemesis right now. it should have some structure of a mesh ( vertices,indices/tris and uvs or the like), but the only thing i see on that file it´s floats everywhere.

Mechwarrior 3 has the same files, but sadly no one has uploaded info about them on the internet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xr79
veteran

Post by Xr79 »

Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but I've been working with this script and the like and managed to get the 3d models into blender and extract everything, but something strange is the TGA texture files the QUICK BMS script are corrupted, they can't be opened or converted in any program, did I do something wrong along the lines? I haven't seen the problem before.
I'm working on a Crimson skies mod for Atlas, and I would really appreciate some assistance with this.
IronArthur
beginner

Post by IronArthur »

With what textures are you getting errors?

I think most of them are "easy" DXT5/DXT3 or "xbox swizzled", but i think some flare textures had some errors with those importers.
Xr79
veteran

Post by Xr79 »

Oh hey there, I wasn't expecting a reply, I'm actually getting errors with every texture, not just the flares, no program can open them, they aren't TGA I think, is there a special way I need to convert them? I'm excited to try and mod these planes into atlas to create a crimson skies conversion using their base aircraft programming and zepplin. if you still have them, it might be a lot to ask but do you think you could send me the models you managed to extract? mainly the plans and zeppelins.
IronArthur
beginner

Post by IronArthur »

Xr79 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:14 pm Oh hey there, I wasn't expecting a reply, I'm actually getting errors with every texture, not just the flares, no program can open them, they aren't TGA I think, is there a special way I need to convert them? I'm excited to try and mod these planes into atlas to create a crimson skies conversion using their base aircraft programming and zepplin. if you still have them, it might be a lot to ask but do you think you could send me the models you managed to extract? mainly the plans and zeppelins.
First thing, you are talking about Crimsom skies for PC or Crimsom skies High Road to Revenge XBOX?

If it´s the Xbox Crimson Skies, the QUICKBMS file on the first post should extract most of the textures.

If it´s the PC Crimson, the textures are 16bits images (R5G6B5), i don´t think there is some script to extract them.

I haven´t extracted the models/textures because i´ve only made an importer of the models to Unity, i really don´t know what´s a good Model format to extract a full model with the correct texture settings.

I think in one the post of this thread i posted a link for the a zepellin model and the final boss of the game.
Xr79
veteran

Post by Xr79 »

Hm, its the x box crimson skies and I did use the quick BMS script, darn I wonder why it didn't work. it did extract the textures but they are all completely unreadable.
I'm sorry I thought I saw you posed a picture of all the planes in unity, unity can save as any number of files types including OBJ that would be perfect, or if you sent me the unity file I could export them myself from that.
thank you for trying to help me.
IronArthur
beginner

Post by IronArthur »

i forgot that the quickbms script only extracted the packed files.

The textures are DXT5/DXT3 and xbox swizzled (that´s why you can´t open them as they are), i´ve attached a noesis script plugin that opens them so you can export them to the format you need.