Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

"The Outforce" .box files.

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
bizzybody
beginner

Re: "The Outforce" .box files.

Post by bizzybody »

It would be nice if they'd release the source code, or at least what they had done on the Crion and Gobin campaigns.

The trick to beating the final Terran level is to have a teleporter ready and targeted somewhere. Turn the teleporter off and park some ships on it. When you blow up the enemy base, wait for the blast wave to pass the teleporter's target then turn the teleporter on. *zzap* You've survived.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

Hello, its me again!
Yes it would be nice if they would release the source code... (As Arkane Studios did with Arx fatalis). I can extract and modify every .box files. I also know how to make skirmish maps! I will make a tutorial .pdf and a website.
bizzybody wrote:It would be nice if they'd release the source code, or at least what they had done on the Crion and Gobin campaigns.

The trick to beating the final Terran level is to have a teleporter ready and targeted somewhere. Turn the teleporter off and park some ships on it. When you blow up the enemy base, wait for the blast wave to pass the teleporter's target then turn the teleporter on. *zzap* You've survived.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

Hi, its me again! I have made a skirmish map, its works well. I know how to use the map editor, but I still dont know why i dont have a fu.king radar :'(
bizzybody wrote:It would be nice if they'd release the source code, or at least what they had done on the Crion and Gobin campaigns.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bizzybody
beginner

Post by bizzybody »

What would be nice to have is a complete list of console commands and their parameters. o3 Games did post a command list on their old forum but I neglected to save a copy. :( I do remember that using selectgroup 0 could be used to cheat. Everything not grouped is in group 0, including all the AI's stuff. So you can select everything the *turn it off*, leaving the AI opponent dead in space while you poke around to scout - or destroy.

My favorite thing was building the large generators in the middle of the enemy base then falling back, turning everything back on then watching the enemy blow themselves up.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

If you want the full command list, pres F2 during you playing on a map, and type: cmdlist :) By the way, can you tell me, why I dont have a radar on my map?
bizzybody wrote:What would be nice to have is a complete list of console commands and their parameters. o3 Games did post a command list on their old forum but I neglected to save a copy. :( I do remember that using selectgroup 0 could be used to cheat. Everything not grouped is in group 0, including all the AI's stuff. So you can select everything the *turn it off*, leaving the AI opponent dead in space while you poke around to scout - or destroy.

My favorite thing was building the large generators in the middle of the enemy base then falling back, turning everything back on then watching the enemy blow themselves up.
bizzybody
beginner

Post by bizzybody »

No idea why you don't have RADAR. o3 Games promised a level building tutorial but never delivered. :(

One issue that can be a problem, and was never patched, is when the AI builds buildings too close to the bottom edge of the map, it can't figure out how to get newly built ships out of them. Since everything is 3D models the easiest fix for that would have been to make buildings within x distance of a map edge automatically rotate to face away from it.

If you use the selectgroup 0 cheat then go move the AI building with some tow ships, then turn the AI's stuff back on it'll start using the building again.

The only thing this bug doesn't affect are the units with phasing capability because they can simply pass through anything.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

Thank you. Regarding radar issiue, I think that problem is that my HM_Central spawns outside of the map... Can you tell me how can I modify my spawnpoint "player1") ?
bizzybody wrote:No idea why you don't have RADAR. o3 Games promised a level building tutorial but never delivered. :(

One issue that can be a problem, and was never patched, is when the AI builds buildings too close to the bottom edge of the map, it can't figure out how to get newly built ships out of them. Since everything is 3D models the easiest fix for that would have been to make buildings within x distance of a map edge automatically rotate to face away from it.

If you use the selectgroup 0 cheat then go move the AI building with some tow ships, then turn the AI's stuff back on it'll start using the building again.

The only thing this bug doesn't affect are the units with phasing capability because they can simply pass through anything.
bizzybody
beginner

Post by bizzybody »

Can you open one of the included multiplayer maps? Perhaps examining that will help?

One thing I found about those maps is they're not hard limited to the number of players listed. It will stuff the extras in where ever it can find room.

I used to run 8 players on the Small Encounters map, all AI, just to see the computer play itself. Sometimes free for all, some times with teams. Some of the time I'd have it randomize the difficulty, some times I'd select to have them all the same. Naturally the low difficulty AI players would usually get exterminated pretty quick.

An example of how unfinished the game was when the publisher forced its release is the AI never builds any sort of fence and never uses towships. Unless you let a skirmish drag on a long time and allow the AI to build up a truly massive base, it won't build the huge power plants. IIRC there are some other things I never saw the AI build.

In the campaign my favorite tactic was to harden my defenses, building fences with turbo lasers and the slow ships with the big turret gun behind them. I'd put builders on guard on critical units, along with various ships and turrets scattered throughout to handle the phasing fighter incursions.

Then I'd build up the expeditionary force. A mixed selection of units, including builders for mobile repair and tow ships, each dragging a turbine laser. I'd send a couple of the long range radar ships out to scout, then position a bulwark of turbine lasers. Then I could swoop in, do damage and retreat to repair. Keep that up until defenses were down then advance the turbine lasers to stop rebuilding. I'd also build warp nuke bombs then sling them into the enemy defenses. They shoot it, it goes boom.

There'e one campaign map where it's best to ignore the front door. Work around the back where there's a fence then pull open a hole with tow ships. It takes a lot to get a fence section moving but doesn't trip the attack alarm. :) Could also get small asteroids moving to toss in and really upset defenses, but that requires a lot of resource investment into towships and a clear run at the enemy fortifications.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

I have made a skirmish map (Revenge) There is max 2 players. But my units spawns outside of the map :\ so do enemy units. I dont know how to modify spawnpoint (in map editor mode there is a "Player0" label on your hm_central. I think that this indicates your spawnpoint.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

And Yes, I can open every map
bizzybody
beginner

Post by bizzybody »

Try opening the maps outside the game, in a text or hex editor. Both one of the included skirmish maps and yours with the problem. Might be able to spot differences and see what's wrong.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

bizzybody wrote:Try opening the maps outside the game, in a text or hex editor. Both one of the included skirmish maps and yours with the problem. Might be able to spot differences and see what's wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

My map is working well, But I dont have radar and "preview" picture in skirmish...
Winters
beginner

Post by Winters »

Good news!!!! I found some useful commands :) I have found a useful command "m_setstartposition()" , "m_setstartpositionbymouse"

M_SetStartPosition (int playerID,float x, float z); sets a start position of a player ;)

bizzybody wrote:I don't know any of the technical details of the game. Not even what any of the actual cheat codes are. Never played it multiplayer against other humans.
Szkaradek123
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Szkaradek123 »

Here is a blend file to extract meshes from "PackedProject.OPF" (from demo game)

Opf is container but values of offsets where begin each mesh or image propably are outside the file, maybe in exe, i don't know.

My python script search all "CBaseClass" section in *.opf , parse this section and export to binary file with "mesh" extension

Meshes are exported as pure geometry, no weights, no uv ,no bones.

Blend file use only with Blender version 2.49

http://www.mediafire.com/view/z5ybhbaqf1hu94m/sc.jpg

You need:
http://download.blender.org/release/Ble ... indows.exe
and
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.6 ... -2.6.6.msi

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d3whkm9ey ... -15%5D.zip

Unpack archive, doubleclick on file "Blender249.blend" , press alt+p in Blender Text Window