Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Model Format

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Model Format

Post by Protocol X27 »

Yep, you're good. Nothing to worry about. :)

Aight, slight issue, but reasonably working Image Extractor for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 +

(Edit: Updated version posted)

Looks like I was previously wrong in both cases. Image data may be in GMD/TTGL may not XD TN was rather inconsistent. Sometimes image data is in the GMD, sometimes its in the TTGL. I had to make exceptions to handle both. There is still some bugs for some containers. I have tested with half a dozen characters and it's working. Most of the AYA_A/B/C style files work, but the ones that start with R_CHARNAME, may not at the moment. I'll update it as soon as I get a chance. Then I'll move on to messing with the meshes.
Last edited by Protocol X27 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeepLonE
n00b

Post by DeeepLonE »

:dance:
You know, when I saw the MURAI.GMD file in the NGS2P data, I could not believe my eyes!
It's time to find out more secrets.
Hoping some big guy can bring Murai back to NGS2P.:D
Or please do tell me how to make it. :scaredy:
Thanks. :)

Edit:
The only sure thing I know is that the sound file's format--XWS, is a stream of AT9. You can separate them by using hex, then save as AT9, convert it to WAV freely by using at9tool. And after finish editing, import the sound by hex. :ninja:
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

Good to know. I would not have expected Murai to have files in the game. That's useful until Ninja Gaiden 1 is extractable. I am not sure if you are suggest to mod him into the game, but he may be extractable if ideas here are successful.

I fixed the problem with my previous release, so for now, all GMD/TTGL files that I know of 'should' be texture extractable.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6ztsqkjo ... r_V1.0.zip

I still have some things to figure out with my mesh script, but doing a manual rip like with the texture did work in Hex2Obj. Here's a sample of Ayane's face, so things should be possible at least to get static meshes. Skeletons & weighted meshes will depend on someone's willingness to modify one of the existing Blender scripts already available. Any takers? lol I can post the DOA5 scripts if anyone knows Blender & python well enough to do a couple of light adjustments.

Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

:dance: :dance: Mission 1 (or .5 or whatever it is) Accomplished!

This is the extent of my skills for now. We still need help with breaking down the NGS1 (PS3), NGS2 (PS3) formats, and could use someone's help on an importer for NGS2+ (Vita) but at least until then we know can at least extract static Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus Models & Textures. This is a multi step process involving extracting meta data from the files, then plugging data into Hex2Obj and the importing .obj files.

NGS2P_Mesh_Helper: https://www.mediafire.com/file/7xy5y3ja ... Helper.zip

Thanks to raidergale for sharing knowledge on Vita formats & Hex2Obj, xperiagenerator for explaining GTX formats, DeeepLonE for suggesting Sigma 2+ and Shakotay & any involved with crafting Hex2Obj.

As mentioned before, help is welcome if anyone can help with scripts or format breakdown. I don't know proper way to explain file formats, so I get specific question or request for assets, I'll gladly add on to what's already posted here.
DeeepLonE
n00b

Post by DeeepLonE »

:dance: :dance: :-D oh!oh!oh! impressive!@Protocol X27, you are my hero. Thank you so much. :drunken:

Edit:
Oh, about the HD version, I wonder if we can find something in rpcs3's shader cache...my guess(run away)
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

I found there were some other models not working properly, so I made an update. The 'R_CharName' files should be working now. The game uses some pre-render cut scenes, so I'm not sure why there are duplicates of some models. The R_ models do have higher res textures and their models are better separated, so those are likely more useful than the combat models. I also found that Ayane's Sword didn't work either, I_KOD (Kodachi), so that is working now too. Hopefully there aren't too many other variations. TN was all over the map. Even the vertices were sometimes in the GMD, sometimes in the TTGL.

NGS2P Mesh Helper: https://www.mediafire.com/file/3gqz38e2 ... r_V1.1.zip

@Deeep
I'm not familiar with that. Any chance you could offer more detail?

Thanks!
DeeepLonE
n00b

Post by DeeepLonE »

Oh, forget about it. I have looked into it and found nothing useful. It's a wrong path.
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

Thanks to some assistance, I got a PS3 image ripper working for NGS2 [PS3], so there's one more item down. Unless anyone comes along with mind to help with meshes, weights/scripts for Vita/PS3, I'll probably move onto Sigma 1 once I get data & time.

If anyone wants just the utility: https://www.mediafire.com/file/m7myca7e ... r_V1.0.zip

If anyone wants the technical details leading up to it, check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17315
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

Ok, about to download some updates on ya's. :D

I finally looked into Sigma 1 and thankfully, I was able to make a lot more sense of the format over NGS2. Plus I was able to re-purpose most of what I'd already written with some slight changes. I give you, Ninja Guts... just a name for all of the current tools rolled into one bundle for now. I've added AFS Unpacker, DDS Ripper & Mesh Helper for Sigma 1 [PS3] and GXT Ripper & Mesh Helper for Sigma 1 Plus [Vita]. There is an image format I'm not familiar with in PS3 version, so once I get some help with that I will update accordingly.

Ninja Guts V1.1: https://www.mediafire.com/file/mgvbd7og ... s_V1.1.zip (Updated 12/10/17)

That takes me about to the extent of my skills for now. If any help comes along for the NGS2[PS3] format I can create a similar mesh helper. I know it's similar, but I haven't found the vtx/idx offsets yet. Beyond that, not likely I'll have time to learn the means of full blown importers, so I'll mostly stick to bug fixes or related updates. Automatic stuff would be nice, but given how long it took to get this kind of progress, I'm not going to hold my breath, lol.

Happy Extracting! :ninja: (that is, if anyone is crazy enough as me to care about extracting from the series anymore , lol :evilfury: )
Last edited by Protocol X27 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeepLonE
n00b

Post by DeeepLonE »

AWESOME!!!
It looks like I am on the train to success.
It is my honor to see the birth of a master.
I have to study python and blender hard in order to catch up with you guys. :ninja:
How about bring Tomonobu Itagaki(板垣伴信) san into his own game, make his profile as a costume of RYU in sigma 2 plus? :D
And thank you Protocol X27.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

Thanks, Deeep! :)

Sounds like a cool idea! Just take things one step at a time, and keep the goal in mind. Vita modding is beyond me, but I know it is possible. It'll take some hex modifications if no tools exists for that, but if you keep the goal in mind, it'll help you focus on the skills you need to make it a reality.

That's what happened for me with this one. Been wanting NGS so long. I've always been willing to do it myself, but only recently have I felt confident enough to think skills were ready to handle it. Thankfully, some others have answered questions that would have otherwise been a hurdle to getting all the known formats and oddities working.

Utility Update

Version 1.1: Updated NGS[PS3] - DDS Ripper to include DXT3 texture format AND read from containers that ONLY have the textures in the TMC. Thanks again to AceWell for help with image formats.

Ninja Guts V1.1: https://www.mediafire.com/file/mgvbd7og ... s_V1.1.zip

Oh, and just to prove I'm not blowing smoke on what these are good for... :devilgrin: Rigging will suck, but at least that's doable compared to custom making meshes & textures.

Qmemavos
ultra-n00b

Post by Qmemavos »

Edit: Problem solved.Although I didn't do anything, now everything is working.

Great work Protocol X27, thank you for your effort.

I am new to all of this and I am trying to get things starting. I have a problem, hopefully someone will help me.

I started python.exe version 3.63 , which opened a cmd window. After dragging in that command window the NGS_AFS_Unpacker.py there is an Error Message: "Syntaxerror: <unicode error> `unicodeescape´ codec can't decode bytes in postition 2-3: truncated \UXXXXXXXX escape".

What am I doing wrong?
Protocol X27
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Protocol X27 »

@Qmemavos

Thanks & no prob. Glad you got it figured out whatever it was. Once python 3 is installed you should just be able to double click one of the apps to run them. I did not setup drag & drop though, so I don't know if that was the issue or not.

When I installed python I remember installing Tkinter being an option, so in case something similar is an issue for anyone hopefully it isn't that. I do use tkinter to allow the apps to run as windows.
Qmemavos
ultra-n00b

Post by Qmemavos »

Yup, that was exactly what has happened. The files weren't associated with python, that's why they couldn't be opened and drag and drop isn't working. Again thank you dearly, after two years of searching, I can finally browse NGS texture files.
ArcRay
ultra-n00b

Post by ArcRay »

if anybody is still here, maybe you guys could help me with something kind of specific?