Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Dark Souls III HKX Animations

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
AllHailTreesus
ultra-n00b

Dark Souls III HKX Animations

Post by AllHailTreesus »

Does anybody know what converters, and specific version of Havok Tools I need to open Dark Souls III's .hkx animations?
I've been desperately trying to find any forums or downloads that mention the right version, but I've found nothing.
zweihard
ultra-n00b

Re: Dark Souls III HKX Animations

Post by zweihard »

Did you get any success?
imarceldoe
n00b

Post by imarceldoe »

AllHailTreesus wrote:Does anybody know what converters, and specific version of Havok Tools I need to open Dark Souls III's .hkx animations?
I've been desperately trying to find any forums or downloads that mention the right version, but I've found nothing.
It's the same ones Fallout 4 use.

Havok 2014 64 Bit.
zweihard
ultra-n00b

Post by zweihard »

imarceldoe wrote:
AllHailTreesus wrote:Does anybody know what converters, and specific version of Havok Tools I need to open Dark Souls III's .hkx animations?
It's the same ones Fallout 4 use.

Havok 2014 64 Bit.
Really? How do you open them for previewing?
dropoff
veteran

Post by dropoff »

I was able to import animations to 3ds max,but here is some issues.

You need Havok 2014 64 Bit to open hkx from ds3.

I dont know how i can properly export from havok tool to 3ds max but with fallout 4 animation tools i was able to do it.

And when i apply animation to rigged model. Skeleton applies well and animations seems to work fine but meshes doesnt scale or something.

Im import model using zaramot script: https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14291

BEFORE APPLY:
AFTER APPLY:
Madein
ultra-n00b

Post by Madein »

Have you not been able to import the animation? What am I looking at with this screenshot? Can they be export into fbx files after 3ds max?
dropoff
veteran

Post by dropoff »

Madein wrote:Have you not been able to import the animation? What am I looking at with this screenshot? Can they be export into fbx files after 3ds max?
Edit: Im able to import animation but meshes do not scale on screenshot you can see what happens after animation import and you can export it to fbx.
Madein
ultra-n00b

Post by Madein »

Awesome! The skeleton and the animation is all I really care for the moment. Renaming the bones using the ue4 mannequin's naming convention should allow the mannequin to use DS3 animation. Could you point me to a tutorial or something that would guide me through the process off ripping the files from DS3 and import the animations into a usable format in 3ds max or blender?

Or did anyone made the files public somewhere?
dropoff
veteran

Post by dropoff »

Madein wrote:Awesome! The skeleton and the animation is all I really care for the moment. Renaming the bones using the ue4 mannequin's naming convention should allow the mannequin to use DS3 animation. Could you point me to a tutorial or something that would guide me through the process off ripping the files from DS3 and import the animations into a usable format in 3ds max or blender?

Or did anyone made the files public somewhere?
Download havok 2014 firstly. Here is link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... WRDaEVacVE
You need that file: HavokContentTools_2014-1-0_20140830_64Bit_PcXs.exe

Then you need to unpack data3.bnd with binder tool from game and find animations for character but here is already extracted files by me:
https://mega.nz/#!wp1x3aLZ!nr9cPhBaB3es ... 7-T9lb7L1g

I dont remember if this all main character animations but im shure most of them.

Now install and open up havok and click file/open and select skeleton from my "skeleton" folder then click file/add and choose any animation from hi/md/lo folder.
If you want to load another animation you need to remove old one but dont remove skeleton,remove only animation and then click add again and select new file.

You need to check a lot of files here. If you want gestures they are started at "a000_080000.hkx" file in hi folder.

When you found animation that you want to export select file/save.
Choose "XML (Cross Platform Text)" and save file with hkx extension.

Then you need to download fallout 4 animation tools here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16694/?#content

Unpack tools and go to folder "F4AK_HKXPackUI" then run "f4ak_hkxpack_UI.exe".

Here in "skeleton.hkx" choose my converted skeleton from folder "Use_That_Skeleton_In_f4_animation_tools" and drop your exported from havok animation to "drag and drop" table.
Then press "Сonvert HKX to FBX" button.

You will get fbx file with animation you choose you can check it in noesis or 3ds max and i dont recommend you to import it directly to unreal engine better to convert it firstly with noesis then import to 3ds max.

If something doesnt work then write to me.
Last edited by dropoff on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Madein
ultra-n00b

Post by Madein »

Wow, that looks interesting and complicated. I will try that tonight and keep you updated. I am looking for the combat animation, like the light, heavy and special from various weapons.

When you say that I need to unpack data3.bnd using the binder tool, is that tool and the data3.bnd in the links you provided?

Thank you so much for your help.
dropoff
veteran

Post by dropoff »

Madein wrote: When you say that I need to unpack data3.bnd using the binder tool, is that tool and the data3.bnd in the links you provided?
No i gave you link to already unpacked animations. Here if you want tool to unpack *.bnd:
https://github.com/Atvaark/BinderTool/releases
Just drag *.bnd to *.exe.
Madein
ultra-n00b

Post by Madein »

Okay, so a little update on your tutorial.
It worked!
I was able to randomly find the roll animation. It's the a000_027110.hkx located in the c0000_a00_hi-(gesture_here) folder.
Once I converted the hkx into fbx I imported it into blender and 3ds max.
Blender did not like it
https://imgur.com/XRzNRmX

But 3ds max was more tolerable. Orientation is messed up, but I think there is a way the put the animation in the right orientation, I just have yet to find how in 3ds max, I usually animate in blender.
I then proceded to export the 3ds max animation into another fbx, then imported in into ue4. As predicted, it failed because there was no matching bones between the animation and the ue4 mannequin. I then found what I thought was the ''root'' in the animation skeleton (called ''master'') and renamed it to ''root'' I then tried to rename the whole skeleton from the animation using the naming convention of the ue4 mannequin. But throughout the process I noticed something odd. The animation skeleton seems to have inverted name.

In the image below you are seeing the skeleton as he is about the roll toward the camera, I have highlighted the lef elbow and you can see the corresponding bones zeroed in by 2 red lines in the viewport; the right elbows. I do not know if the culprit is the f4 skeleton or if From Software is making it harder for us by mirroring the bones.
https://imgur.com/3DbK3Sn

Finally, being confused by the way all the bones are inverted and with all the additionnal bones the animation skeleton has, I decided to rename only part of a leg and the Root. I exported it from 3ds max and imported it into ue4, choosing the mannequin as the skeletal mesh. It worked!

Well, the import worked and the animation exist and is compatible with the mannequin. The mannequin itself is not feeling too good from the botched renaming process, but playing the animation makes him move in a very distorted manner (only what I think is the root and part of a leg was renamed)
https://imgur.com/6q3vSf3

but I feel like rename the skeleton correctly and then setting a root motion would make the mannequin reproduced DS3 roll animation, and all the other animations correctly renamed!

Now the long and painful process of renaming each bones, repositioning and testing to see if the renaming respect the mannequin hiearchy has begun.

Did Anything like that has been done before?
dropoff
veteran

Post by dropoff »

Madein wrote:Okay, so a little update on your tutorial.
It worked!
I was able to randomly find the roll animation. It's the a000_027110.hkx located in the c0000_a00_hi-(gesture_here) folder.
Once I converted the hkx into fbx I imported it into blender and 3ds max.
Blender did not like it
https://imgur.com/XRzNRmX

But 3ds max was more tolerable. Orientation is messed up, but I think there is a way the put the animation in the right orientation, I just have yet to find how in 3ds max, I usually animate in blender.
I then proceded to export the 3ds max animation into another fbx, then imported in into ue4. As predicted, it failed because there was no matching bones between the animation and the ue4 mannequin. I then found what I thought was the ''root'' in the animation skeleton (called ''master'') and renamed it to ''root'' I then tried to rename the whole skeleton from the animation using the naming convention of the ue4 mannequin. But throughout the process I noticed something odd. The animation skeleton seems to have inverted name.

In the image below you are seeing the skeleton as he is about the roll toward the camera, I have highlighted the lef elbow and you can see the corresponding bones zeroed in by 2 red lines in the viewport; the right elbows. I do not know if the culprit is the f4 skeleton or if From Software is making it harder for us by mirroring the bones.
https://imgur.com/3DbK3Sn

Finally, being confused by the way all the bones are inverted and with all the additionnal bones the animation skeleton has, I decided to rename only part of a leg and the Root. I exported it from 3ds max and imported it into ue4, choosing the mannequin as the skeletal mesh. It worked!

Well, the import worked and the animation exist and is compatible with the mannequin. The mannequin itself is not feeling too good from the botched renaming process, but playing the animation makes him move in a very distorted manner (only what I think is the root and part of a leg was renamed)
https://imgur.com/6q3vSf3

but I feel like rename the skeleton correctly and then setting a root motion would make the mannequin reproduced DS3 roll animation, and all the other animations correctly renamed!

Now the long and painful process of renaming each bones, repositioning and testing to see if the renaming respect the mannequin hiearchy has begun.

Did Anything like that has been done before?
You can try to use bippy script for 3ds max (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bippy)
It can apply animation from 1 skeleton to biped skeleton,and as i know unreal engine use biped.
But that script doesnt work with new 3ds max versions but ive seen updated for 2016 version.

And i think you need to create dummy for each bone with orientation like on biped skeleton.

P.S.All bone names is original from software names. Not from f4.
ArtoriasZz
ultra-n00b

Post by ArtoriasZz »

When i have installed Havok 2014 and try to start it up, i get the has stopped working error. Any help would be helpful and thank you if u can :).
dropoff
veteran

Post by dropoff »

ArtoriasZz wrote:When i have installed Havok 2014 and try to start it up, i get the has stopped working error. Any help would be helpful and thank you if u can :).
Maybe you have 32 bit system. Download same file but 32 bit version.