Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Fate Extella PC *.mdl format

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
ssringo
veteran

Re: Fate Extella PC *.mdl format

Post by ssringo »

Changing 'sv0000_body_a.mds' to 'sv0000_body_a.dds' does work. You need a program that can actually view dds files because Windows (I believe) doesn't by default. Noesis is one such program.

However, changing the filename from 'sv0000_body_a' to 'sv0000_body_a.dds' will not work because you're just renaming the file and not changing the file extension. If you're looking at the file and only see something like 'sv0000_body_a' then you need to tell Windows to show file extensions. If you don't know how to do that then google the steps.
Kenzato
n00b

Post by Kenzato »

I am not dumb i know how to change the extension, and i do have programs that can read dds files.

It just dosent work every program gives a error when you open the changed ones
Kotcrab
beginner

Post by Kotcrab »

Noesis works. Or Visual Studio if you want to install that hog. VS generates thumbnails in file explorer.
anime663
veteran

Post by anime663 »

Kenzato wrote:I am not dumb i know how to change the extension, and i do have programs that can read dds files.

It just dosent work every program gives a error when you open the changed ones
Use Noesis to open them.
Kenzato
n00b

Post by Kenzato »

i did and everything is just a big white square.

and other programs just get errors
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

Kenzato wrote:i did and everything is just a big white square.

and other programs just get errors
update noesis
Kenzato
n00b

Post by Kenzato »

i downloaded it today ;8
Kenzato
n00b

Post by Kenzato »

Nvm fixed it
Kenzato
n00b

Post by Kenzato »

So these models cant actually be textured can they? i tried to apply textures but it seems the models havent been uv mapped or something like that

also theres a wide range of Tags that i dont understand like M and A
ssringo
veteran

Post by ssringo »

Kotcrab wrote:I am currently working on custom extractor and repackager, will post it in archive thread when ready.
A couple days late on this but in case you didn't know/test it yourself, the game does run on extracted files. Just have to move the extracted files into the appropriate folders.
Kotcrab
beginner

Post by Kotcrab »

ssringo wrote:
Kotcrab wrote:I am currently working on custom extractor and repackager, will post it in archive thread when ready.
A couple days late on this but in case you didn't know/test it yourself, the game does run on extracted files. Just have to move the extracted files into the appropriate folders.
I haven't tried it actually, good to know. At least I haven't started working on repackager yet.
Kenzato wrote:So these models cant actually be textured can they? i tried to apply textures but it seems the models havent been uv mapped or something like that
Not yet but I'm working on it.
ssringo
veteran

Post by ssringo »

So how's progress coming? I finished up Fate/Extella earlier this week but my interest in modeling script/tools hasn't waned :)

Umu
Kotcrab
beginner

Post by Kotcrab »

I've got textures to automatically load in Noesis when you open model and now I'm working on importing skeleton data.
Kotcrab
beginner

Post by Kotcrab »

Here's the updated version. This one will load textures if you open file from game folder or when you have .dds/.mds textures in the same folder as model file. Normal/specular textures makes it look way to shiny, it might be the lighting, I don't know. Anyway, you can edit the script and change False to True at the top to only load basic textures.
Skeleton is loaded but vertices are not assigned to bones, I can't figure it out how it's mapped.

Download loader v0.2
ssringo
veteran

Post by ssringo »

Good stuff mate. Hope you can figure out/get help on the last bit (maybe chrrox?).

Speaking of, have you checked out chrrox's maxscript for Nier that I linked to earlier in the thread? He said they're nearly identical so maybe it can give you some direction.